Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to LA in 3 months!!! HELP!

Moving to LA in 3 months!!! HELP!

Old Jan 19th 2011, 5:56 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to LA in 3 months!!! HELP!

Originally Posted by aviva
Another way to look at this location business. Bear in mind that distances here in the LA area are usually measured by the time it takes to get some place at a specific time of day, not the distance in miles. So try to imagine this in your head:
Up in the morning - Get little one up - Get out the door
How long is it going to take to get to child care at 8am in traffic?
How long is it then going to take to get to job at 8:30am in traffic?
Reverse at the end of the day in traffic and maybe stop off for shopping?
I think there's a fine art to picking out the right location based on how much you want to travel every day. Commuter traffic can be brutal and wearing. How much quality time will you have at the end of the day with the little one?
Totally agree with this. We lived 18 miles from hubby's work, 13 miles from my work. Daughters school was 5 miles away, it would take 30 minutes minimum to do the 5 miles to daughters school, then it would often take hubby an hour to do the remaining 13 miles. It used to take me around 25 minutes to do my 13 miles. On the way home, I used to pick daughter up from school, so 23 miles all in, it would often take me an hour and a half, an average of 4mph
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments on the SFV. Image isn't something that worries me. Heat, on the other hand, well we went in October and I almost needed a jacket in the evening so yes, I might want to rethink that one.

Traffic, well, I hate commuting so we can safely say location will be key here! However, it also depends on SWMBO, i.e. where she can work. No doubt a compromise somewhere. Initial plans are to rent so we're not too tied down for too long.

San Dimas, didn't see much of, though the reservoir nearby was pleasant and is appealing for walks etc.

All subject to the big V.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Thanks for the comments on the SFV. Image isn't something that worries me. Heat, on the other hand, well we went in October and I almost needed a jacket in the evening so yes, I might want to rethink that one.

Traffic, well, I hate commuting so we can safely say location will be key here! However, it also depends on SWMBO, i.e. where she can work. No doubt a compromise somewhere. Initial plans are to rent so we're not too tied down for too long.

San Dimas, didn't see much of, though the reservoir nearby was pleasant and is appealing for walks etc.

All subject to the big V.
San Dimas is a long and tedious drive in rush-hour traffic from almost anywhere.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
It's very common that people frown on The Valley, the amount of people I came across who looked like you were a bad smell when you say you live in the valley was ridiculous. I got the impression it was because it was built to house the masses so doesn't have a soul like area's such as Santa Monica, Pasadena, the Hollywoods have. Also the heat is too much for most people.

My daughter went to school (and camp) in Tarzana, in the summer it would often be over 110 when I would pick her up at 6pm.
And vice versa -- people who love the Valley feel a mild contempt for those who live elsewhere. In my circle, I find a mild contempt for people who live on the "Westside." [Old joke were on t-shirts saying "There is no life east of Sepulveda." BTW, I think Sepulveda is the longest street in LA county with the same name].

And some people like the heat -- that is what the Good Lord invented swimming pools for.

Also, the Valley has those "microclimates" also. During college I would commute between Sherman Oaks and Northridge. In Summer, Northridge was 10 degrees F hotter and in Winter 10 degrees colder. And Northridge was always windier [no small thing when driving a Type I VW with swing axles].

Point being -- the areas vary a lot and one really has to be here.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Jan 20th 2011 at 10:26 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:26 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=S Folinsky;9116939]And vice versa -- people who love the Valley feel a mild contempt for those who live elsewhere. In my circle, I find a mild contempt for people who live on the "Westside." [Old joke were on t-shirts saying "There is no life east of Sepulveda." BTW, I think Sepulveda is the longest street in LA county with the same name].
QUOTE]

That's because the poor sods stuck in the Valley are jealous of you guys who aren't
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:10 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=N1cky;9116951]
Originally Posted by S Folinsky
And vice versa -- people who love the Valley feel a mild contempt for those who live elsewhere. In my circle, I find a mild contempt for people who live on the "Westside." [Old joke were on t-shirts saying "There is no life east of Sepulveda." BTW, I think Sepulveda is the longest street in LA county with the same name].
QUOTE]

That's because the poor sods stuck in the Valley are jealous of you guys who aren't
I beg to differ young lady the Valley is way way nicer then Socal give me the farmers real folk and beautiful countryside any day
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:51 am

[QUOTE=Poppy girl;9117251]

I beg to differ young lady the Valley is way way nicer then Socal give me the farmers real folk and beautiful countryside any day
We're talking about San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

[QUOTE=N1cky;9117309]
Originally Posted by Poppy girl

Maybe talking about San Joaquin Valley? Farmers there.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I will admit to a prejudice against living "over the hill" in the San Fernando Valley. That said, living in Studio City is considered by some to be a reasonable hop over Coldwater Canyon.
].
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Isn't San Dimas where 'Bill and Ted' live?

The SF Valley is massive and gets hotter in summer, and is like 'Bill and Ted'
[QUOTE=aviva;9117314]
Maybe talking about San Joaquin Valley? Farmers there.
We were clearly talking about SF Valley, FFS all you have to do is go back and read 10 posts
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Poppy girl;9117251]

Keep up Mrs your in the wrong place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:55 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=N1cky;9117309]

Pass the wine
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:57 am

I was going to say "are we all drunk in CA" judging by the quote F.ups but I think its a BE glitch!!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:57 am

[QUOTE=Poppy girl;9117401]

Pass the wine
Thought you'd been on it already luv. I'm on my second glass and haven't eaten yet, so my posts here on in could be total jibberish
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:58 am

I was going to say "are we all drunk in CA" judging by the quote F.ups but I think its a BE glitch!!
You see, I've obviously had too much, I hadn't even noticed
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:58 am

[QUOTE=N1cky;9117406]

Thought you'd been on it already luv. I'm on my second glass and haven't eaten yet, so my posts here on in could be total jibberish
Oh had my share on Tuesday I am off it until the weekend...can't be waking up with a mouth like a camels bum tomorrow lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.