Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to LA in 3 months!!! HELP!

Moving to LA in 3 months!!! HELP!

Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:35 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to LA in 3 months!!! HELP!

How did this get onto a golf thread... but as it is this quote seems somewhat appropriate:

Sir Winston Churchill
"A diabotical way to ruin what would otherwise be a walk in pleasant surroundings"
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by California Dreamin'
This is retired life in LA. I've lived in LA County, 30 miles east of Los Angles since 1967. Just last week...Monday, played golf at Goose Creek, a beautiful course, Tuesday, played golf at Los Serranos, an LA Open qualifying course, Wednesday, went skiing to Mt. High where I receive a free skiing pass for being a senior citizen, Thursday, played golf at Indian Hills, another beautiful, hilly course, Friday played golf at Claremont Golf Course, a nine hole Executive course where I work two days a week, Friday and Saturday PM.
What a life eh ?
I've just got myself 60 marlboro's and 3 bottles of Vodka, normally it would be 1 of each but if that is truly retirement, I'm hoping to get out of here in a wooden box long before I'm due for that!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

California Dreamin' is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Moving to LA in 3 months!!! HELP!

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

We were dong a fundraiser at one of those posh country clubs, it made me laugh how many of the rich guys ask the caddy how to play every shot.
Sally; Sounds to me like you were 'Out of your depth with the Posh Country Club clique'. If you are British you surely know where you belong.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by California Dreamin'
Sally; Sounds to me like you were 'Out of your depth with the Posh Country Club clique'. If you are British you surely know where you belong.
I thought they didn't have class barriers here.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

California Dreamin' is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought they didn't have class barriers here.
Think again babe.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:42 am
Just Joined

snih is an unknown quantity at this point

How old are your children? We used to live in Park La Brea and loved it, it's rent-controlled too. The Hancock Park Elementary School is great, but school gets trickier as the kids get older.

http://www.parklabrea.com/
Hi,

was looking at Park La Brea apartments and they look real good from their web site.

However, is it a nice place to live with young children? And does the rental cost that is shown on their website include for utility bills etc (as they make a big fuss about having cable and wifi included etc).

Cheers all.
s
Old Jan 24th 2011, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snih
Hi,

was looking at Park La Brea apartments and they look real good from their web site.

However, is it a nice place to live with young children? And does the rental cost that is shown on their website include for utility bills etc (as they make a big fuss about having cable and wifi included etc).

Cheers all.
s
We found it nice, there are lots of kids there and they had things like a fun parade at Halloween. The elementary school is right next door.

I don't think utilities are included in the price, but it's probably best to get in touch with them directly. When we were there, they were all rent-controlled, but they were building some units which were not and were a lot more expensive, so look out for that.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:43 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snih
Hi,

Cheers all.
s
I would be extremely surprised if the cost of cable [including wi-fi] is included. What they mean is that the place is wired for cable -- you will get the necessary boxes from your local cable company [Probably Time-Warner.] There is a smorgasbord of services available on that cable -- including several flavors of TV -- telephone and internet. I would presume that the wireless does not extend into the units. There is probably DSL available through the old copper phone system [even if "slow" by today's standards, DSL is faster than home wireless net works].

It is customary in LA for the landlord to pick up the water tab. Inasmuch as LADWP water also includes the fees for sewage and garbage, this is no small thing. Your electricity will also be supplied by LADWP. I can't speak for Park La Brea, but electricity is generally on the tenant.

Which brings me to the gas supplied by Southern California Gas. You need to know what type of appliances you have in the kitchen and how your water is heated. I note that they describe gas ranges. It is quite likely you will use gas for heating.

Also, find out the policy on air conditioning -- given the age of the complex and the notation regarding ceiling fans, it is more likely than not that there is no A/C. Do they allow window boxes? I will say that the "micro-climate" of the Fairfax area is pretty mild in summer and there will be relatively few days where you "NEED" A/C.

Also, take a look at the yelp.com article. Also, you might want to look at the Park La Brea Sucks website.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Jan 24th 2011 at 5:55 pm.