Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to LA

Moving to LA

Old Mar 19th 2003, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

londongirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to LA

I live in London (BA Hons & MA History of Art) work in the Museum sector and run a dept in one of the major Museums. However, I have always wanted to move to the States. So I want to go over to LA for the 90 days I am allowed and meet up with some contacts I know with a view to getting a job in the same sector. In order to do this I have to leave my present job. I will have enough $ to see me through. I know I am not allowed to work or be going over with an intent to job hunt. Is this an absolutely stupid way of going about doing this? The industry I work in does not really transfer people to other countries. I am finding it hard applying for jobs and trying to get a sponsor. I can't go without resigning from my job. I would have somewhere to stay during the time I am there - with my boyfriend (American) at the initial stages and many contacts. I have absolutely no intention of getting married or anything like that. Can anyone give me some advice?
Old Mar 19th 2003, 1:46 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to LA

Originally posted by londongirl
I live in London (BA Hons & MA History of Art) work in the Museum sector and run a dept in one of the major Museums. However, I have always wanted to move to the States. So I want to go over to LA for the 90 days I am allowed and meet up with some contacts I know with a view to getting a job in the same sector. In order to do this I have to leave my present job. I will have enough $ to see me through. I know I am not allowed to work or be going over with an intent to job hunt. Is this an absolutely stupid way of going about doing this? The industry I work in does not really transfer people to other countries. I am finding it hard applying for jobs and trying to get a sponsor. I can't go without resigning from my job. I would have somewhere to stay during the time I am there - with my boyfriend (American) at the initial stages and many contacts. I have absolutely no intention of getting married or anything like that. Can anyone give me some advice?

In short and being blunt - yes

firstly you would have to show that the position you are applying for cannot be done by an american - virtually impossible.

secondly take the easy route an marry the boyfriend.

seriously your not on a winner with this idea, sponsors are only interested from an employment outlook, and to be frank a lot of the posts have confirmed the last thing an employer wants to do is make you a permenant resident - it costs them thousands.

so there interest is only while you work for them, once your finished you have to come back to the UK.

You dont sound like you've got $500,000 to apply for a business visa and still then ,hope you get it - its not definate you would qualify.

so sorry, but theres only 2 ways as anyone will tell you family or marriage.

good luck - mark19964
Old Mar 19th 2003, 9:28 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

OK...Here's my take, (sorry Mark, I totally disagree) although what you have described (as you know) is illegal and you run the risk (however small) of being caught and treated like a 'real' criminal, many people do this successfully every year (many thousands however do this and fail). If you're dream is to work and live in the US (I question your choice of LA but thats a personal opinion) then give it a go, honestly, what have you got to lose? you sound intelligent and qualified with a little experience in the job, this is exactly what US employers are looking for. Get out here, meet as many people as possible, get your name out there BEFORE you get here (set up as many meetings as possible) this will be easier because you have a US address you can use and try your best. The worst that could happen is you fail to get a job and you end up going back to the UK again, that doesn't stop you trying again and again, I've said this before and I'll say it again, if you want something bad enough, you can and will get it. I feel I am far less qualified than you and I'm here and having a great time. (if all else fails, a few years down the line, you may get married to the guy anyway!)

don't give up, be realistic and whatever you do, don't listen to the people out there that tell you it can't be done, it really can.
Old Mar 20th 2003, 9:40 am
Just Joined

londongirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I know what I want to do is risky - especially in the current climate re jobs etc but I hope it can all work out. I really want this to work out. Can anyone tell me about their experiences doing it this way? I actually plan to be out there by beginning of June. Can anyone also tell me about what it is like as a Brit in LA? The reason I am looking at that city is because my contacts and boyfriend are there.
Old Apr 8th 2003, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

adamfdz is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

I know what I want to do is risky - especially in the current climate re jobs etc but I hope it can all work out. I really want this to work out. Can anyone tell me about their experiences doing it this way? I actually plan to be out there by beginning of June. Can anyone also tell me about what it is like as a Brit in LA? The reason I am looking at that city is because my contacts and boyfriend are there.
Hi Londongirl,
I used to live in Muswell Hill, and shared the dream you do, i still do. From a Brit who has made the move, i will be honest and say a move to LA will be difficult, but not impossible for the creative.
The way i did it was to apply for a graduate school place in LA at the University of Southern California (USC) which i got. I then studied for a masters. All that time i set up mu US bank accounts, got a social security number and a california drivers license. I then moved back to the UK and lived in London and worked as an embryologist at the Lister Hospital. The best and possibly only realistic way to get to the US is as a teacher. The US is desperate for teachers and you can do a sort of 'on the job training' if you have no teaching experience, as i did not. With a minimum of hassle, and about $1500 (yes the visa application is expensive) you can get an H1-B (temporary skilled worker visa. This is valid for 6 years, but this visa is unique in that as soon as you arrive, you can do what's called "dual intent", which means you can file for a green card while on the H1-B! I would recommend hiring an immigration lawyer to deal with all that, but if the US is your dream, it IS worth it. I have spent maybe close to 5000 pounds to get here and i don't regret anything. Teaching here is much better than the UK ( I now live in South Carolina after i married a South carolina girl) have a wonderful home, wife, baby on the way, dog and i drive to work in the morning in my Volvo and it only takes 10 minutes!

I'd be happy to advise you some more if you like.....good luck!
-Adam
:lecture:
Old Apr 9th 2003, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Can't offer much advise, but good luck and follow your dreams !!
Old Apr 9th 2003, 10:30 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

You qualify as a "member of the professions with an advanced degree". As such you can self-petition under the EB-2 category seeking a National Interest Waiver (NIW). The NIW is a waiver for the requirement to have a job offer from a US employer (and hence a waiver from labor certification). In other words prove the National Interest and you get a greencard without a job. You can then move to the US and find employment as a permanent resident.

Here's a bit of background

http://www.visalaw.com/98jul/30jul98.html

You need to submit an I140 form from BCIS and ETA750 (only part B) from the Department of Labor. Address the NIW issues through a structured submission that includes a letter detailing your arguments for the granting of the NIW, supporting documentation, CV list of pulications awards etc., as well as a number of refeernce letters from experts in your field who can argue the NIW points. You can send the application to any of the BCIS service centres. The whole process may take 18 months however and there is no guarantee, but what can you lose!!!

Good luck...by the way looking for a job on a visitor waiver or visa can cause serious problems for any legitimate visa applications in the future.