Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to L.A. ??

moving to L.A. ??

Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:59 am
On The Brink

S_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to all
Default moving to L.A. ??

Hi everyone

This is my first post on this website and I was hoping to get some advice from you all. I have just been offered a transfer to Los Angeles on an L1 intra-company transfer. It’s a very exciting prospect for me and my family, however, I have been doing a little research and it seems that Los Angeles is quite an expensive place to live. Once transferred my basic pay will be $100k, and this will need to support me and my wife. Some websites say that this is plenty, while others say that it’s not possible to live there for that amount.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to L.A. ??

It's not cut and dry, sure it's possible, might even be easy, or it might be impossible.

All depends on your lifestyle.

IF you don't mind slumming it in a studio apartment, you'd be minted on that salary...if you fancy going on holidays everywhere and eating out every day and the missus wasn't working and you wanted to live in a house with a garden and swimming pool, well that might be a bit more tricky.

So give us a break and say what kind of things you're looking for in the move and you'll probably get a much better answer and welcome to BE
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:41 pm
On The Brink

S_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to all

Thanks Bob,

Well, we're both in our early 30s. We live just outside London and I think we have a pretty modest lifestyle. For instance we love watching boxsets rather than going out clubbing every night. That said, we are into gadgets and want to make sure we both have cell phones with data.
We're looking at apartments in Downtown LA but want to know we'll be safe... Pretty sure we're going to need a car but happy to get something economical which is about 5 years old or so. And, based on the Visa I'm getting, my OH won't be able to work for 3 months but intends to get a data entry/clerking job at soon as possible.

Does that help?
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S_C_P
Thanks Bob,

Well, we're both in our early 30s. We live just outside London and I think we have a pretty modest lifestyle. For instance we love watching boxsets rather than going out clubbing every night. That said, we are into gadgets and want to make sure we both have cell phones with data.
We're looking at apartments in Downtown LA but want to know we'll be safe... Pretty sure we're going to need a car but happy to get something economical which is about 5 years old or so. And, based on the Visa I'm getting, my OH won't be able to work for 3 months but intends to get a data entry/clerking job at soon as possible.

Does that help?
Do you have children...will they need day care when your wife goes to work?
My friends tell me that day care where we live (Texas) is expensive.
Take a look at city-data.com for some ideas as well as here.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob,

Does that help?
Do you literally mean the downtown area to live? Not really a residential area.

You will most probably need a car each.

$100K is doable for a young couple I'd say, don't forget hidden costs like healthcare though.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob,

Does that help?
You'll both need cars, that's just life...even old ones will be pricey to keep going, insurance and all the other guff, but older cars will help.

Your biggest concern would still be health insurance, what's the monthly and all that fun stuff.

What are your long term plans? Get company to go for greencards anyway, especially if you're L1B.

Start up costs are quite large, rental needing usually first/last and possibly anything up to 3 months worth of deposit up front on lease signing, especially as you don't have credit history, realtor fee's of anything up to 1-3 months rent as a fee if you use one. Most utilities will need deposits too....so this is all stuff to ask for in the relocation package.

As you realise, the OH won't be able to work for 90 days in most likelihood, will the company pick up the tab on the EAD? Will they for the renewals of it? Those add up too.

It's certainly do able, how good a life style I don't know as it's not my neck of the woods.

Certainly depend on what your comfort zone is for both, time and distance of morning commute, if you're looking for a small condo to rent or a house, that kind of thing.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
i
It's certainly do able, how good a life style I don't know as it's not my neck of the woods.

Certainly depend on what your comfort zone is for both, time and distance of morning commute, if you're looking for a small condo to rent or a house, that kind of thing.
A lot will depend on where he is actually working and how much of a commute he is prepared to do.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Do you literally mean the downtown area to live? Not really a residential area.

You will most probably need a car each.

$100K is doable for a young couple I'd say, don't forget hidden costs like healthcare though.
There is getting to be more and more housing in and near downtown. I am often in the "Arts District" which is adjacent to Little Tokyo. Not a bad place to live.

A fair number of couples are getting by with one car these days. Public transit is a lot better than it used to be.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:00 pm
On The Brink

Thanks everyone. Good points

So, we have no kids and I'm going to be working near the Staples centre in Downtown LA. I'd quite like to be able to walk to work (as I hear DT is walkable) and we hope my OH will be able to find a job around there too. Any thoughts on where would be convenient, reasonably priced AND safe?

Also considering the high unemployment rates, how likely do you think it is that my OH will be able to find a job? Yep, I know that's like asking how long is a piece of string! But I guess I'm thinking about whether a Brit on an L2 would be likely to be picked for a book keeping role over an Angeleno?
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So, we have no kids and I'm going to be working near the Staples centre in Downtown LA. I'd quite like to be able to walk to work (as I hear DT is walkable) and we hope my OH will be able to find a job around there too. Any thoughts on where would be convenient, reasonably priced AND safe?

Also considering the high unemployment rates, how likely do you think it is that my OH will be able to find a job? Yep, I know that's like asking how long is a piece of string! But I guess I'm thinking about whether a Brit on an L2 would be likely to be picked for a book keeping role over an Angeleno?
Sorry I'm not familiar with that area, have only been a couple of times. It may well be that the public transport is a little better around there.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

You'll need to budget for guns and ammo then...
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:28 pm
On The Brink

Originally Posted by Englishman43
You'll need to budget for guns and ammo then...
Woah! Really?
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Woah! Really?
Well I.M.O it's bit of a sketchy 'hood. I personally wouldn't want to be walking after dark around there.

The 18th street gang is up in there in several barrios west of the Staple’s Center and the 110 Freeway.

I don't want to put you off but strolling around there wouldn't be my idea of a relaxing way to unwind if you get my drift.

As I say others will probably disagree but I've spent a fair bit of time in and around Staples, the Coliseum all the way up to Dodger Stadium and I'd be fine with driving to and from a job there but not much else. Just my personal opinion

Last edited by Englishman43; Nov 7th 2011 at 5:54 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I live in LA on that salary range. I'm single, but I'm very comfortable. I think a couple would be fine if you live sensibly.

As mentioned it's important to get your medical coverage clarified.

The cost of living in LA will depend critically on which suburb/neighbourhood you chose to live in.

For instance, rent in Malibu or Santa Monica will be through the roof. Rent in the SF Valley or the Inland Empire could be very cheap, by comparison.

What are your expectations? Do you want a house, condo or studio apartment?

You will need two cars. It's impossible to live effectively in LA without your own transportation. I managed for 1 year without a car by cycling everywhere, but in retrospect that was very dangerous and I could never go shopping.

Unless you are lucky enough to have your housing and work on the same metro line, you will need two vehicles. Public transport in LA is pathetic, especially in the suburbs.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of job is your OH looking for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.