Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Knoxville

Moving to Knoxville

Old May 20th 2011, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

SheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really nice
Question Moving to Knoxville

Hi everyone

Firstly, let me apologise if this has been answered before. I have done a bit of digging but can't see anything.

My employer is currently arranging for me to relocate to our US Subsidiary, based in Knoxville, Tn.

I need a bit of help with regards to finding somewhere to live from some people who have done this before. I will be looking to rent somewhere and have a few questions:

1. In the UK we have a website called rightmove which basically collates the available property rentals and sales from all the major estate agents in the UK. This makes searching for properties very easy - is there any equivalent in USA? I've tried craigslist but wondered if there was anything that was more property specific.

2. Where should I live!!!? I think I would like to spend c$600pcm (is this reasonable?). I am 25 and come from Sheffield - very much a student city so I would like to live somewhere where there is a bit of activity. Plus, I will be coming on my own which means I would like to know there is plenty of things close by for me to do (esp considering I won't have a car). I would also like to be able to get to my place of work as easily as possible using Public Transport (I will be working in a place called Rockford).

I don't mind being in an apartment but I don't really fancy living in a building full of students - preferably a building with other young professionals would be ideal

3. Is it normal in USA to request a fully furnished rental (literally I would need beds, sofa, appliances)

I know I am asking for a lot and I don't expect it all but I just need some ideas!

Thanks in advance for your help

Rich
Old May 20th 2011, 12:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Knoxville

Welcome to BE and good luck!

There's a couple of folks who used to post a bit from down there, don't know about many folks now, though you might have some luck finding some info doing a search.

Best bet is city-data.com

craigslist is probably your best bet for rentals without using a realtor, but you could use sites such as http://www.rentals.com/

zillow.com is handy for info on house sales in the area.

I know the south is cheaper than the North East, but $600 a month? If that gets more than a cockroach dump in a shoot me now ghetto the size of a broom cupboad, I should seriously think about moving there myself

You will need a car btw, there's no getting around it...public transport doesn't exist in the practical sense like in the UK, plus you're a no body without a drivers license, it's the defacto ID....sure you could get a State liquor license, but most people ignore those.

Fully furbed, possibly, usually in holiday resort towns or in corporate housing...pretty rare other wise, for cheap at least.

If you're being relocated by your company though, they should sort you out for a couple of weeks minimum...check the wiki as it has a lot of things you should look out for in the relocation package, basic stuff so you don't get stiffed over. The biggest concern is medical insurance and job security, make it very hard and expensive for them to fire you because most states are right to fire, so they don't need to give you a reason, notice or severance if they don't want, so you could be unemployed and walked out the building straight off and being on a visa means you are really then in the shit.
Old May 20th 2011, 3:06 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I find myself in Knoxville on occasion. There is some public transit:

http://www.katbus.com/ (turn your sound off first)

This adds perspective:

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9032218

A + B = Get a car. No way around it.

Haven't looked at rentals over there, but my guess is that $600 will get you in those student condos you're trying to avoid.
Old May 20th 2011, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

SheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really nice

Thanks to both of you for your help

I guess I need to go higher on the rent to get something decent

Driving will be a pain because I don't have the money to buy a car - might have to talk to the company!

Thanks for the excellent article - written yesterday so obvioulsy very topical!

I am really looking forward to moving to America - thanks again
Old May 20th 2011, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Shermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to all

If all goes well in my immigration journey, I will be moving to Knoxville TN. My husband (USC) is there now, he moved ahead of me.
The University of TN is located in Knoxville and there are lot's a young people there.
Like the previous posts say $600 is pushing it if you want something other than student like accomodation but just a general internet search will provide you information on rental listings. I think for $800 you can get something pretty decent. But a car would be a must.
Talk to your employer and see how much help their able to give you for relocation. Good luck.
Old May 20th 2011, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone

Assuming I can stretch to 750/800 any suggestions where to live!?
Old May 20th 2011, 10:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SheffieldGuy
Thanks everyone

It sounds as if they are expecting you to make this move on a shoestring -- have you searched the site to look at the many other threads on the cost of moving to the US and seen what kind of expenses others have requested to have covered in their relocation package? It might help you to understand the kind of expense that you are looking at, and to see if it is worthwhile your moving if your package is not up to par. You cannot live in the US without a car, unless you're in midtown Manhattan!
Old May 20th 2011, 10:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It sounds as if they are expecting you to make this move on a shoestring -- have you searched the site to look at the many other threads on the cost of moving to the US and seen what kind of expenses others have requested to have covered in their relocation package? It might help you to understand the kind of expense that you are looking at, and to see if it is worthwhile your moving if your package is not up to par. You cannot live in the US without a car, unless you're in midtown Manhattan!
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compan...on_Packages_US

Aye, that's the wiki link I mentioned earlier.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SheffieldGuy
Thanks everyone

I just wanted to welcome a fellow Sheffielder to BE. Sorry I can't help you about Knoxville...but good look with the move.
Old May 21st 2011, 2:34 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Moving to Knoxville

http://www.city-data.com/forum/knoxville/

That is a relocation messageboard that will talk about neighborhoods.

As others have said, you flat out need a car. Full stop. Budget not only for the car but the rather expensive insurance given your lack of a USA credit rating.
Old May 21st 2011, 9:30 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure what your musical tastes are but for some years now my go-to internet music station has been a great old-style country station in Knoxville in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains.

www.wdvx.com

Highly recommended.
Old May 21st 2011, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked on Rent.com or apartments.com? There appears to be plenty of apartments in the $600-800 range.
If you have never been to the US looking at apartment complexes before, then in the US they are like nothing like anything in the UK. The good ones are well laid out with tennis courts, swimming pools, fitness rooms, laundry facilities, they are run by management companies with permanent maintenance people on call. If your employer is well known in the city then you could use them to reduce the deposit amount.
I would reiterate what everyone else has said without a car you will find it very tough to live and work, US cities outside the major metropolitan ones are not well served by public transport, if you are on a tight budget then look for a 5 year old car to start with and minimum insurance coverage from safeauto.com.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:02 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

More on the need for cars from our wiki:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Travel...ars_in_America
Old May 21st 2011, 4:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
More on the need for cars from our wiki:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Travel...ars_in_America
Hey, good job on that; I hadn't read it before. Thanks for the contribution!
Old May 21st 2011, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Hi Rich,
Let me add something from a local point of view. I can confirm that public transport as you know it in the UK is non existent, so confirming what others have said, getting a car is a must. The "city" of Rockford is what we would probably call a village back home with a store, a gas station, a school and about 1000 residents. So I guess that doesn't meet your criteria as a vibrant place to live.
Knoxville is a big University city (wait til you see Neyland with over 100,000 inside) and the area around campus is a lively place to be during term time. Not sure about the availability of accommodation around there but I am guessing that as with most city centre living, cheap will mean tiny or nasty.
As a suggestion, as you are going to be working in Rockford, Maryville/Alcoa may be a cheaper and equally fun place to live. There is still a college scene of sorts and everything is a lot less daunting than Knoxville for the first timer on their own. Also, if it helps, my wife is good friends with a realtor in Maryville who I'm sure would help you out. PM me if you would like her to have a word with him.
East Tennessee is a beautiful part of this country with genuinely welcoming people and I'm sure you will have ball here. Good luck and give me a shout if I can help with anything.

Matt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.