British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Kirkland/Seattle, WA - advice needed, please? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-kirkland-seattle-wa-advice-needed-please-591791/)

meauxna Feb 17th 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Moving to Kirkland/Seattle, WA - advice needed, please?

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7291926)
$100k should be okay to get by, I would think. No state taxes in Washington.

No income tax, but you might want to explain sales tax.
I would, but we don't have one. :p

md95065 Feb 17th 2009 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7295078)
No income tax, but you might want to explain sales tax.
I would, but we don't have one. :p

Sales tax explained:

"The price you see is (usually) not the price you pay - (almost) everything costs more than you think it does ..."

While retail prices in the UK include VAT, retail prices in the US do not include sales and use taxes. In states that have a sales tax the actual amount that you pay is the "sticker price" plus the state (and, often, local) sales tax.

In Kirkland. for example, the combined state and local sales tax rate appears to be 9%.

AmerLisa Feb 17th 2009 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 7295718)
Sales tax explained:

"The price you see is (usually) not the price you pay - (almost) everything costs more than you think it does ..."

While retail prices in the UK include VAT, retail prices in the US do not include sales and use taxes. In states that have a sales tax the actual amount that you pay is the "sticker price" plus the state (and, often, local) sales tax.

In Kirkland. for example, the combined state and local sales tax rate appears to be 9%.

But sales tax is deductible! :)

caleyjag Feb 17th 2009 11:57 pm

Sales tax schmales tax.

Anyone coming from the UK complaining about a 9% sales tax needs their head examined!

It's hardly even worth discussing!

It is slightly annoying that it isn't included in the initial price, but I find you get over that.

But still, it's kind of like ex-pats in Washington who complain about the weather. They need to go back, hang out in Glasgow for a week and get a grip!

Also, cream cheese hot dogs. Worth 9% of anyone's money.

willmore Feb 17th 2009 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 7295841)
But sales tax is deductible! :)

Hold those horses buckaroo - are you saying that the sales tax on services and products that you buy or retain in the states is tax deductible?:confused:

willmore Feb 18th 2009 12:03 am

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7295966)
Sales tax schmales tax.

Anyone coming from the UK complaining about a 9% sales tax needs their head examined!

It's hardly even worth discussing!

It is slightly annoying that it isn't included in the initial price, but I find you get over that.

But still, it's kind of like ex-pats in Washington who complain about the weather. They need to go back, hang out in Glasgow for a week and get a grip!

In canada we have both pst and gst......depending on the province. In BC it amounts to approx 12%

meauxna Feb 18th 2009 12:40 am

Dude! What is UP with that? They were on the news here last night... people are going crazy over them.

AmerLisa Feb 18th 2009 12:41 am

That just sounds nasty! :D

meauxna Feb 18th 2009 12:42 am

Originally Posted by willmore (Post 7295982)
In canada we have both pst and gst......depending on the province. In BC it amounts to approx 12%

Ah yes, Land of the logic of 'croissants are not a luxury, no tax. Chocolate croissants though.. tax the heck out of them (but not the calories)'.

Or was it donut holes are not taxed but donuts are? I haven't been up for a while. :)

penguinsix Feb 18th 2009 1:20 am

Originally Posted by willmore (Post 7295971)
Hold those horses buckaroo - are you saying that the sales tax on services and products that you buy or retain in the states is tax deductible?:confused:

Either or:

You can deduct state and local sales tax or deduct your state and local income tax. Usually the latter is more, unless you buy a couple of cars one year.

http://www.googobits.com/articles/14...eductible.html

caleyjag Feb 18th 2009 1:22 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7296062)
Dude! What is UP with that? They were on the news here last night... people are going crazy over them.

They are the post-pub food of champions.

In the happening neighbourhoods of Seattle it is common to see men with gazebos selling hot dogs outside the most popular bar. The trick is the buns are preemptively smothered with a generous layer of cream cheese, and then topped with caramelized onions.

It is pretty much the most awesome thing ever, especially at 2am in the morning.

Certainly beats a kebab, that's for sure!

Think I might go and get one right now, actually.

Bill_S Feb 18th 2009 1:28 am

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7296150)

It is pretty much the most awesome thing ever, especially at 2am in the morning.

Thanks for making me feel old. :frown:

AmerLisa Feb 18th 2009 2:28 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7296146)
Usually the latter is more, unless you buy a couple of cars one year.

As we did in 2007 and had a nice write-off in 2008. :D

naomi Feb 18th 2009 4:24 pm

Good old Turbo Tax helps you figure out your sales tax deductions too.
Naomi.

Kaffy Feb 20th 2009 1:20 am

Hi, I live in Kirkland and I love it here on the eastside. There are some Seattle neighbourhoods I also like (such as Ballard and Greenlake) but if you're husband's work will be in Kirkland, then stick to the east - you'll save him the hassle of commuting across 520.

I think $100K salary would be more than plenty to live off in Kirkland. My husband is in grad school so it's just my one (crappy, no where near $100K) salary supporting the two of us and even after bills and tuition we still manage to live fairly decent.