Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving into an apartment without viewing

Moving into an apartment without viewing

Old Jul 18th 2015, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving into an apartment without viewing

Originally Posted by SuperScienceGrl
Well I got a friend to look around the place I was mostly interested in, and he doesn't seem to like it too much. It doesn't have central A/C (or air con, lol), and you have to supply a window unit. But it's several rooms, so that doesn't sound like it'll be enough. (Unless I'm savvy enough to get a building corner apartment and get two window units...
It has several rooms but just one window??

I have not been converted to this US infatuation with A/C in the more moderate areas (yes, I have done IL summers without), but heat is another matter entirely. Be sure it exists, works, and is affordable.

ARGH I had got so interested in this place I gave up the hunt for others!
Them's the breaks. You still have time to look; better get cracking

Perhaps I'll take it anyway - nowhere's perfect.....
It's not the end of the world to have a crap apartment, but you are still in the window where you could avoid the worst of it. Leaping back into the search probably fills you with dread, but just imagine how much worse it would be in the middle of semester when availability has dropped off, you are busy, and you'd have to pack everything up again. Now is by far the easiest time to deal with this. You can do it
Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:41 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

The university probably has a housing office that could provide listings of off-campus apartments (including some owned by the university that are oriented toward graduate students) and roommate situations. (Note that in the US, "roommate" usually is equivalent to "flatmate" -- you don't necessarily share bedrooms.)
Old Jul 19th 2015, 3:17 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

A lot depends on whether this is somewhere to live or somewhere you'll treat as your sanctuary after a long day.
If your house is your home and what it is is important then you'll need to suck it up and 'move' more than once. Rent a long term hotel room while you find the right place. It is a bit of work upfront for a long term result.
If your house is just somewhere to lay your head, then jump in feet first.

We bought a house long distance in Texas from California. We put a lot of effort in to finding the right place, the perfect (for us) place. In contrast the place we rented years ago whilst the wife did her graduate degree was short term, we knew that, and didn't put nearly as much effort in to it.

Think about what is important to you, at this time in your life. Convenience, or somewhere that feels like 'home'. Neither is wrong, nor right. Only you can answer this one.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

SuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
A lot depends on whether this is somewhere to live or somewhere you'll treat as your sanctuary after a long day.
If your house is your home and what it is is important then you'll need to suck it up and 'move' more than once. Rent a long term hotel room while you find the right place. It is a bit of work upfront for a long term result.
If your house is just somewhere to lay your head, then jump in feet first.
You've got it. I'm not going to be spending much time there. I won't invite people around often.

I think I'm about to sign for this place. The guy wouldn't negotiate a shorter-term lease, and I'm a bit trepidatious, but hopefully any problems will be minor, and I guess I'm such a perfectionist that I wanted this to be perfect, despite not needing a 'home'.

I'm almost praying I won't need to move and I can stay here for the remaining five years!! Thanks so much guys