Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving into an apartment without viewing

Moving into an apartment without viewing

Old Jul 5th 2015, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

SuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving into an apartment without viewing

Hi!

I'm just asking your thoughts, because I'm a little scared about this. I have to find a new apartment over in Illinois, by the time I get back there in August. I will get back and straight away have to live there, so I can't view where I'm going to live. Anyone ever done this before?

(The only alternative is staying at a friend's for a few days when I get back, and checking out the apartment then before I sign. The reason I'm nervous about doing this is because in a very unfortunate coincidence, I'm moving round about the same time as thousands of undergrads are returning/finding new places. I hear that I'm lucky to find anywhere at this time of year, so I feel I'd better grab it asap.)

My list of things to check by email:
  • Laundry facilities
  • Pet friendliness
  • Kitchen facilities
  • Vague notions of whether it will be a quiet place
  • Distance from supermarket (I don't have a car)
And of course price, size, and distance from work. I've cut the list of possible places down to 19. Is there anything I'm forgetting? :/

Really, I want a good place because I have 5 years left in IL and work is stress, so I don't want to have to move again. I'm also going back to work as soon as I move back, and really have to prove myself so it's a bad time to be messing about with apartments.

ARGH! Thanks guys...
~SSG
Old Jul 5th 2015, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving into an apartment without viewing

Plan A: Do a trip. Given the amount of money you'll waste if it doesn't work out, it's very much worth the investment. This has always been my strategy, except when I first moved over, when I stayed with a friend for a month or so before moving into my own place.

Plan B: Send a trusted friend. I have only done this for short-term places - I would rather not put someone in a position where I blame them for any issues that arise.

Personally, I would not move into a place I hope to stay in for a while without checking it out myself. Given you are going to have various other stress points associated with your return, I'd just go ahead and visit now and be done with it.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 2:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion, ill advised, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Could the friend with who you would otherwise have to stay go and take a look any apartments that you are interested in before you commit to one?
Old Jul 5th 2015, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In my opinion, ill advised, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Could the friend with who you would otherwise have to stay go and take a look any apartments that you are interested in before you commit to one?
And maybe the friend could video the apartments. Especially some of the concerns the OP has. At least it will give them some idea of what is available.

Good luck OP
Old Jul 5th 2015, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

SuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond reputeSuperScienceGrl has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say you guys are almost certainly correct that that's the way to go... I have been thinking about it, but since all my friends work the same crazy job as me, I'm not sure anyone would actually want to take the time. I don't really have any super close friends who would be happy to do it. Once I pick out the top places, maybe I'll see if I know anyone who lives near there and entice them to give it a go with promises of food/wine/beer? I'm really more concerned with checking there aren't any red flags than checking it's perfect once I've picked somewhere.

I'd love to plan a trip, but I really can't afford it. I can't even go early as I am at a conference in Boston right before going to Illinois, so I pretty much just have to go. Can't afford to go IL -> MA -> IL either :/ argh!

Pulaski, your next post will be Number 22,000 :P congratulations!
Old Jul 5th 2015, 2:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuperScienceGrl
..... Pulaski, your next post will be Number 22,000 :P congratulations!
I hadn't noticed, so thanks for pointing that out. ..... Post 22,000 was on the "Let's talk about cars thread I started a couple of years ago.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I did this once, but I knew I was only going to be living there for a couple of months. If I had to sign a longer lease, I'd be very dubious about doing it.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

I have been thinking about it, but since all my friends work the same crazy job as me, I'm not sure anyone would actually want to take the time. I don't really have any super close friends who would be happy to do it.
You may be surprised. Don't just think about your fellow grad students - I'm sure you have postdocs and faculty around who have been through this. My advisor has sent a collaborator collaborator (very senior person in my field ) to deal with an apartment on my behalf. You don't need someone to know you well to be a trusted third party.

Aside: Easier said than done, but I'd seriously try to meet people in a different department - being surrounded by people in the same situation, it's very easy to lose perspective. Y'all are not alone and hearing about another program's insanity can be very therapeutic
Old Jul 5th 2015, 6:58 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We purchased our house in Milwaukie without seeing it. We were in London. We had friends look at it, one of who was a contractor, and after talking to them we put in a bid. Best decision we made, and no regrets at all, and we have lived in it for almost 9 years.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 7:10 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

While it's obviously preferable to see a place first, sometimes you don't have much of a choice.

In the modern age of the interwebs, you can find reviews of apartment complexes and property management companies. You can see the neighborhood and the building frontage by using Google Streetview, and use mapping websites to see its proximity to shopping, amenities and public transportation. And of course, you can speak to them on the phone and ask about issues such as laundry and pet policies. A lot of what worries you can be mitigated.

You will want to make some effort to ensure the likelihood that you get your deposit back. Have the landlord agree to provide you an inventory of the unit prior to move on, which should note any flaws. When you first arrive, conduct your own inspection, and complete your own inventory (take notes and photos) -- if you find any issues that weren't in or contradicts the landlord's inventory, then notify the landlord in writing of issues and differences. Make a point of checking everything to make sure that it works, and whether paint, carpet and window coverings have been replaced.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 7:42 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
While it's obviously preferable to see a place first, sometimes you don't have much of a choice.

In the modern age of the interwebs, you can find reviews of apartment complexes and property management companies. You can see the neighborhood and the building frontage by using Google Streetview, and use mapping websites to see its proximity to shopping, amenities and public transportation. And of course, you can speak to them on the phone and ask about issues such as laundry and pet policies. A lot of what worries you can be mitigated.
This is exactly how we found our apartment in LA, while living in Germany. We looked at fairly large complexes, and there was plenty of online info available -- reviews were particularly helpful.

But we did only sign a 6-month lease, at first. We ended up staying years longer, but that was more a matter of luck. The other two apartments we've moved into without seeing first (for international moves) were fine, but we didn't renew the leases and found better options. A lot of that had more to do with not knowing the local area well until we'd arrived, though; if you're already familiar with Illinois, that's a big plus.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 11:57 am
Just Joined

I forgot all about online reviews. They will be super useful, I'm sure. I already heard comments from two previous renters of a place on a local forum! Very reassuring to hear their good comments. That's one of my top 2 places now.

I think what I'm going to do when I decide on my top choice is to ask someone whether they'll do it in exchange for copious beer/wine/lunch/doughnuts. I'm very British about it and I don't like asking people for help. :P

Originally Posted by retzie
Aside: Easier said than done, but I'd seriously try to meet people in a different department - being surrounded by people in the same situation, it's very easy to lose perspective. Y'all are not alone and hearing about another program's insanity can be very therapeutic
There's a guy in my lab who deliberately seeks friends outside the field. I'm starting to think you & he might be right - but it's impossible to know where to start in a way! Especially without feeling like I"m wasting time. I'm sure it would be useful; maybe some day...
Old Jul 6th 2015, 1:30 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

There's a guy in my lab who deliberately seeks friends outside the field. I'm starting to think you & he might be right - but it's impossible to know where to start in a way! Especially without feeling like I"m wasting time. I'm sure it would be useful; maybe some day...
He is right. There is a strong tendency for folks to stay in their department cliques, get way too academic and (sometimes) unknowingly elitist, and then be unable to deal with people who live in other realities. One woman I know is now working on her fifth degree because, even though she hates studying, she can't work out how the rest of the world exists.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 1:32 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you just motel it and self-storage for a few nights?
Old Jul 6th 2015, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

What about a short term, furnished rental? I've done that a few times. It gives you a chance to get a feel for the area and look at some longer term options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.