Reload this Page >

moving to illinois

moving to illinois

Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

bindumarium is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to illinois

Hi,
I am moving to illinois from PA. I have a license out here in PA.I am on L2 visa. CAn you tell me if I have to take another driving test in Illinois again? Also do I need a SSN to get the drivers license there? Pls someone who has been thru this pls help me....
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:01 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to illinois

A quick google provided this: http://www.sos.state.il.us/services/new_residents.html I'm sure some IL residents will be along shortly to assist.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bindumarium
Hi,
I am moving to illinois from PA. I have a license out here in PA.I am on L2 visa. CAn you tell me if I have to take another driving test in Illinois again? Also do I need a SSN to get the drivers license there? Pls someone who has been thru this pls help me....
IIRC when I moved from NY to IL I had to take an eye test and the written exam again.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

thanks for replying so soon. How long has it been since you got the license. I got it this dec.. Can't think of taking another test again....the practical... Also do you have a ssn?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Can't think of taking another test again....the practical...
I wouldn't worry. I put it off for years then when I did it we drove out of the test centre car park, turned left, right, left, several more lefts and back into the test centre car park. Do it in one of the suburban test centres if you have to.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

we will be moving to schaumburg..which i think is the suburbs right?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for replying so soon. How long has it been since you got the license. I got it this dec.. Can't think of taking another test again....the practical... Also do you have a ssn?
Almost 4 years now; I definitely didn't do a 2nd practical test.

Yes, IIRC they have a licensing office in one of the strip malls off Golf Road.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:39 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

West North-west burbs
There is an office on Golf Road where you should be able to get everything taken care of. If you don't have to take the actual driving test the queues usually aren't too bad.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

wow. so helpful in just minutes. I also called up the office at golf road which you had mentioned and they said that I do not need to take my practical test and that I would be issued a temporary drivers license as I am on visa out there. they were really helpful. she said I just have to take the vision and the written.
Thanks for all the info esp about the golf road office...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

wow. so helpful in just minutes. I also called up the office at golf road which you had mentioned and they said that I do not need to take my practical test and that I would be issued a temporary drivers license as I am on visa out there. they were really helpful. she said I just have to take the vision and the written.
Thanks for all the info esp about the golf road office...
Hi and welcome to BE and the Northwest suburbs.

The drivers license office is on Golf road - I believe at Meacham (double check that though) - bit west of Woodfield Mall (you'll soon discover that mall, it's a biggie). The drivers license station is on the south-west corner as I remember.

btw... if it's still there, House of Hunan is in the same strip mall as the driver's license station - I haven't been there in some years, but they had and excellent lunch buffet.

Oh, and Ikea is nearby too.