Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston. TX

Moving to Houston. TX

Old Jun 18th 2007, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

kashman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Houston. TX

All,

Fantastic forum. I’m finding the comments here very helpful. I have approximately 6 weeks to go before I move from Cardiff to Houston. My L1 visa is being processed ( I think ), but I need to get to grips with managing my move. At the moment I’m trying to compile a list of tasks. That’s where you, the community of experts come in. What do I need to get sorted before I go out? My wife wants to go out with me, but I think its going to be difficult as we are going to rent out our house here and its going to take some time. Besides, we can’t rent out until August (mortgage company tie in period expires then).

Can you please recommend a book or web resource to help me with my planning. I’m starting to panic as the day job (handing over etc) is starting to get me bogged down.

Help me please.

Great Site,
Kash.

P.S Has anyone used www.intlauto.com?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston. TX

Hi Kash

Welcome to BE! I'm pretty new on this forum too, but I'm already in Houston and have been here for 4 weeks now.

You might find this thread helpful as it's got quite a bit of information on regarding moving to Houston.

Also, I found the Expert Expatriate book very helpful.

HTH

Mandana
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:44 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've probably down about five or six international moves now, and my first bit of advice is create a master list of things to do. One list that you and the wife can add (and scratch off things) on, rather than leave it up in the air and play it by ear.

Some of the earlier things I would recommend are paper. Get together all the legal documents you will be needing (or may need) in the US. This includes things like birth certificates, visa info, passports, medical records along with some items like financial statements, bank records, etc. Many of these documents will be helpful or needed in the US and they are sometime the things that take the longest to pull together.

If you have kids you'll need all their transcipts and immunization records as well for school. See the threads on that.

As for packing, I think you have to look at a) going to the US, b) going to storage in the UK (or to 'Mom's house) c) getting sold and d) given away. Assess what electronics you'll need in the US (very few, likely) and plan to sell things like an old stereo receiver, TV, computer even while you are in the UK and use the money to upgrade when you arrive in the US. Again, since this takes a bit of time to arrange, probably better to start thinking about this now. And think about the little things too. Electric tin openner is not worth taking. Hair dryer, clock radio, etc. You may have a yard sale before you leave (unless you plan a return in a few years and you can pull the stuff out of storage).

Basically, sell anything that is going to depreciate in value while you are away (big tvs, pcs, car). Don't underestimate the cost of the little things (spatulas and butter knifes and curling irons, and screwdrivers and hammers and buzz saws). If you are going to return, a lot of that can go in storage, but if this is the big move, you'll be needing to replace a lot of those small things when you get here so figure out what can come and what needs to go.

I'm sure people can go on and on. I'd recommend coming to some very real financial terms with your employer as to what they are going to pay for. Are they going to pay for a rental car from the airport? Is this the same as them paying for a company car on a lease (usually not--big thread on the dangers of this). Will they pay first months rent at a corporate apt when you arrive? Moving expenses--a few tickets home to the UK? Emergency return ticket (sickness in the family, etc). Get all this stuff hammered out NOW because once you are here, they've kind of got you over a barrell.

Check out the wiki as well for more ideas.

Finally, make time for fun. See your mates. Eat some food you really like. Be a bit of a tourist in your own town (you won't realize how much you miss it until you are gone).

Welcome to the US.

Last edited by penguinsix; Jun 18th 2007 at 10:49 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey - another one!!!

Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:50 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Crikey - another one!!!
Yea, what is it about Houston sucking everyone it. Like some kind of black hole pulling in all the expats.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Yea, what is it about Houston sucking everyone it. Like some kind of black hole pulling in all the expats.
Count me out - I SHALL resist
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:53 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Finally, make time for fun. See your mates. Eat some food you really like. Be a bit of a tourist in your own town (you won't realize how much you miss it until you are gone).
Best bit of advice I've seen!

As I said before, I can't recommend the Expert Expatriate enough. Everything Penguin said above, and much, much more is in it (all sound advice).

One of the best things I took from the book was to clear a room out totally before moving day. Put only things in there you do NOT want the packers to pack - believe me, if you stand still long enough they'll pack you too. No joke. Put your documents in there - passports, marriage certificate, birth certificate etc., your cases, clothes you'll need for the 6/8 weeks while waiting for your container - anything and everything you want, and as you come across stuff when the movers are there, throw them into that room and ban them from opening the door.

Really worked for us. Great piece of advice!

Oh, and eBay is your friend! I sold loads of electronics and gadgets. Every single item went. Just be prepared for the fact you'll get far less than you paid for them. It's all part of the process.

(saying that, I cried when my car went )
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:18 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Mandana
...One of the best things I took from the book was to clear a room out totally before moving day. Put only things in there you do NOT want the packers to pack - believe me, if you stand still long enough they'll pack you too. No joke....
Our lot carefully wrapped a plastic wastepaper basket in tissue-paper and packed it.

Including contents!!

Yep, I'm sure glad those dirty tissues, chocolate wrappers and the contents of the pencil-sharpener made it to our new home in California...
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Our lot carefully wrapped a plastic wastepaper basket in tissue-paper and packed it.

Including contents!!

Yep, I'm sure glad those dirty tissues, chocolate wrappers and the contents of the pencil-sharpener made it to our new home in California...

I've got 2 pairs of slippers (only because someone bought me some for Christmas). One pair got dirty so I washed them and packed them ready to have out here, and the other pair I wore and intended to pack in my luggage. Had to go out when the movers were there so put on my shoes, only to come home sometime later and they'd packed the buggers!

So I've now got 3 pairs .. one new (bought here), one clean and one manky skanky pair in a box with odds and sods!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 12:22 am

Including contents!!

I was helping a friend move once and I came across a box marked 'Dirty Dishes'. I just looked and they said 'don't ask.'
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

kashman is an unknown quantity at this point

All, thank you for the responses. I'm still helpless and flapping my arms around but as a first step I've ordered the Expert Expatriate which should be in my hands by the end of the week.

I've also made a list using Google documents and a spreadsheet which my wife and I are editing together.

I'm looking at places to stay and have been advised to stay in Sugarland as its close to my work and a failure good area. I'm hoping to find an apartment to rent long term preferably in a nice complex.

I have to choose a car to lease from www.intlauto.com not sure what at the moment.

Also, need to decide who to fly with, any hints would be much appreciated as I need to get maximum luggage allowance.

I also need to find a shipping company, any advise on this? have any of you Houston folk had any good bad experiences? Recommendations are most welcome.

What about tax? do I need to fill in any documents before I go?

Lastly, I'm a bit of a geek at heart and want a really good speed internat connection, am I dreaming or can I get this in Sugarland.

Calm down, learn to breath.....1..2...3

Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kashman
All, thank you for the responses. I'm still helpless and flapping my arms around but as a first step I've ordered the Expert Expatriate which should be in my hands by the end of the week.

I've also made a list using Google documents and a spreadsheet which my wife and I are editing together.

I'm looking at places to stay and have been advised to stay in Sugarland as its close to my work and a failure good area. I'm hoping to find an apartment to rent long term preferably in a nice complex.

I have to choose a car to lease from www.intlauto.com not sure what at the moment.

Also, need to decide who to fly with, any hints would be much appreciated as I need to get maximum luggage allowance.

I also need to find a shipping company, any advise on this? have any of you Houston folk had any good bad experiences? Recommendations are most welcome.

What about tax? do I need to fill in any documents before I go?

Lastly, I'm a bit of a geek at heart and want a really good speed internat connection, am I dreaming or can I get this in Sugarland.

Calm down, learn to breath.....1..2...3

Oh God, you sound like me! I too flapped and the enourmity of it all was overwhelming at times. I kept telling my husband that he had his job to worry about, but I had the house move, the job of sorting out agents & tenants, dealing with other properties I let out, my health, my job, my degree course ... I could go on!

Good call on the EE book .. really helped me (I say me as H didn't really read it!)

Sugarland was highly recommended to us, so if it's close to your work I'm a bit envious! We're moving to Katy which is closer to H's work than Sugarland, but it's renowned for being full of kids, and we don't have any! Will wait and see how that affects us lol .. but nothing we can do about that now.

Can't advise on your car lease company as we dealt with National (H's company have an account with them)

We flew with Continental and had great flights, but then we did go Business First. The company pay for us to go home once a year but not Business First, so we have to go cattle class! Only business trips are upgraded. Hey ho. We're going home at Christmas with BA though as they cocked up our flights last year and gave us a voucher to use which actually runs out today, so we had to use it or lose £320. Not impressed with their service at all so far, and will revert back to Continental.

Shipping .. used Graebel which are based here. Again, this was organised by the company so no idea of costs. The UK team were from Robinsons and they were fantastic. If you want their details PM me and I'll give you my contacts.

Tax .. I'm sure there will be others more qualified to reply to this re: work. As for your property, are you going to be selling or renting it out? Can give you some tips if you're renting.

And as for being a gadget geek - I defy you to be more of one than my husband! If you like UK telly get yourself a SlingBox. Also get a Tesco phone (or hub if you're on a Mac) and arm your friends & family with one their end too. Saying that, if they don't have one it won't matter as you'll be given a local number for them to dial and it will only cost them the same as if they were calling you in the UK. And your calls to non-Tesco phones will only be 2p/min.

HTH a bit
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Y'all are missing the obvious....

Wear and pack ONLY your lightest weight clothes.... stuff you'd wear on holiday in Spain. Ship the rest. August is HOT!!!!!!!!!

Immediately buy some sunscreen and seek out the air conditioned places. Drink a LOT of water (alcohol is bad for dehydration).

Plan to do as much of your shopping/looking at flats or rental homes etc in the very early morning or 8 pm at night.

Seriously.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Y'all are missing the obvious....

Wear and pack ONLY your lightest weight clothes.... stuff you'd wear on holiday in Spain. Ship the rest. August is HOT!!!!!!!!!

Immediately buy some sunscreen and seek out the air conditioned places. Drink a LOT of water (alcohol is bad for dehydration).

Plan to do as much of your shopping/looking at flats or rental homes etc in the very early morning or 8 pm at night.

Seriously.
Tsk .. I was trying to give UK advice lol!

As for the weather .. ok, it's hot and a bit humid, but I'm kidding you not, most of the time I'm COLD! Air-con and me don't get on, but I'm getting used to it ... s l o w l y

H is on the bed with no covers but I've got a sheet, blanket, bed cover and a pillow on my feet. Plus I have to wear PJs and bed socks! And as for restaurants .. I need my winter woolies!!

Talking of renting/buying .. this site is great Har.com

We had Suzanne take us round after picking out properties which matched our criteria and she really knew her stuff. All the agents (realtors) are on there, so you'll see every property on the market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.