Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from Sunderland

Wikiposts

Moving to Houston from Sunderland

Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Houston from Sunderland

Clear Lake is not really for Expats, where will your husband work as that will make a huge difference as to where you live?
Old Oct 17th 2013, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suexpat
Clear Lake is not really for Expats, where will your husband work as that will make a huge difference as to where you live?
Why is Clear Lake not for Expats?

There has never been a big community of expats where we live and we have survived.
Clear Lake has plenty of good amenities and is still close to the main city of Houston.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Why is Clear Lake not for Expats?

There has never been a big community of expats where we live and we have survived.
Clear Lake has plenty of good amenities and is still close to the main city of Houston.
I know from experience it is not for expats. There are much better areas that are far more friendly. Well thats my opinion.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suexpat
I know from experience it is not for expats. There are much better areas that are far more friendly. Well thats my opinion.
Fair enough, but it all boils down to what you want.

Clear Lake is a fairly nice area to live, there are a lot worse suburbs of Houston. And not all expats want to be around other Brits all the time...that's my opinion.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Fair enough, but it all boils down to what you want.

Clear Lake is a fairly nice area to live, there are a lot worse suburbs of Houston. And not all expats want to be around other Brits all the time...that's my opinion.
Agreed, I personally wouldn't choose at expat ghetto, though others might prefer that. It's all horses for courses.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed, I personally wouldn't choose at expat ghetto, though others might prefer that. It's all horses for courses.
They eat horses over there? Neigh ...

"Been spending all my life livin' in an expat paradise"

I think it is important to get involved in the wider community as much as possible - it will help you feel more settled and integrated in your new life; my missus did this when she moved over to the UK initially and 7 years on has a wide network of friends here.

I plan to do the same when I move over to the US
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

If the job is in Clear Lake then it's better to live there than spend half the day in traffic.

If this is a temporary relocation and you really have no intention of staying here then it's fine to limit your social life to expats. If you think you might stay here its not the best course of action.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 1:25 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Yanks are not so bad after all, take it from me lol You work with us... you married us... it's a big country, you might even find a friend or two eh?
Old Oct 19th 2013, 2:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Hey Yanks are not so bad after all, take it from me lol You work with us... you married us... it's a big country, you might even find a friend or two eh?
I agree but one of the big unspoken divides on BE is between those of us who "married our way in" and the "pure expat couples" where one spouse relocate for work reasons and brought their family with them. I know it isn't quite that clear cut, but I think you get my point.

Anyhow, paraphrasing words of my mother, some of them are quite nice, it's almost like they're not American at all! (Which is what she said after first meeting the now-Mrs P! )
Old Oct 19th 2013, 8:12 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree but one of the big unspoken divides on BE is between those of us who "married our way in" and the "pure expat couples" where one spouse relocate for work reasons and brought their family with them. I know it isn't quite that clear cut, but I think you get my point.

Anyhow, paraphrasing words of my mother, some of them are quite nice, it's almost like they're not American at all! (Which is what she said after first meeting the now-Mrs P! )
Ahem! Then there's the third category that came over with work, stayed and met an American here!
Old Oct 19th 2013, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Bink
Ahem! Then there's the third category that came over with work, stayed and met an American here!
There are, it's true, a number of similar but different middle ground possibilities. HH arrived earlier in the year on an L1 but then married a local (who I believe he already knew), I married a local but only came here a couple of years later for work opportunities.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Sunderland Lass.

Reading your intro post reminded me of the time we moved to the Houston area in 1987 with 2 kids, aged 6 and 4. I was working in Clear Lake and there were plenty of expats living there, although we chose to live in Friendswood, about 5 miles from Clear Lake.

I can't expand on the great answers you have already received to your questions. I can tell you that we were very warmly met by the locals. I'm sure you are going to do just great.

On our look-see visit in October, 1987 we contacted a realtor who drove us around lots of houses for rent, and she was very knowledgeable about schools, toddler groups etc.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 9:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Welcome Sunderland Lass.

Reading your intro post reminded me of the time we moved to the Houston area in 1987 with 2 kids, aged 6 and 4. I was working in Clear Lake and there were plenty of expats living there, although we chose to live in Friendswood, about 5 miles from Clear Lake.

I can't expand on the great answers you have already received to your questions. I can tell you that we were very warmly met by the locals. I'm sure you are going to do just great.

On our look-see visit in October, 1987 we contacted a realtor who drove us around lots of houses for rent, and she was very knowledgeable about schools, toddler groups etc.

Old Oct 19th 2013, 12:26 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
There's also those who are actually 'murcan too....

Old Oct 19th 2013, 4:43 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Culture shock may not be as bad as some had it...moving from one city with a football team that can't win, to another city with a football team that can't win....gotta be good for that instant "at home" feeling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.