Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Houston from Manchester UK (and scared.....)!!!!!

Well in that case I guess I better get my HGV licence sorted out!
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 6:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sofi is it possible to make a trip over the pond to see Texas for yourself before you finally move? I for one would not consider moving anywhere I had not previously seen.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sofi is it possible to make a trip over the pond to see Texas for yourself before you finally move? I for one would not consider moving anywhere I had not previously seen.
I went over to Houston to visit last year and in general it was ok. Just big and hot and did I mention big...

Actually I think I'm sounding more negative that I mean to! To be honest I'm more excited about the whole thing than anything else and I'm adaptable. The main thing I was worried about was rotting away indoors alone *sob sob sob* but I think the volunteering idea is a stirling one and is something I was already considering. Also hubby-to-be has encouraged me to study etc just as a way of getting out of the house. So thats another option
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 6:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sofi
I went over to Houston to visit last year and in general it was ok. Just big and hot and did I mention big...

Actually I think I'm sounding more negative that I mean to! To be honest I'm more excited about the whole thing than anything else and I'm adaptable. The main thing I was worried about was rotting away indoors alone *sob sob sob* but I think the volunteering idea is a stirling one and is something I was already considering. Also hubby-to-be has encouraged me to study etc just as a way of getting out of the house. So thats another option
Have you discussed what you will both do if you cannot settle? I only ask because there seems to be quite a few people who go to Oz and return to the UK without their husbands. Take a look in the Return to the UK forum...although it is mainly people who are returning from Oz...it will give you some idea of what people miss when they immigrate.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 6:55 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
..........Take a look in the Return to the UK forum...although it is mainly people who are returning from Oz...it will give you some idea of what people miss when they immigrate.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
Good suggestion - though it is still not clear whether they are actually planning to immigrate, and if so, on what time-scale, i.e. what are future husband's plans and where is he in this whole PR process.

Sofi could be volunteering and studying for many years to come...
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

We have been engaged for almost 3 yrs so I have had plenty of time to get used to the idea. Returning to the UK without him is not really an option! Being in USA or UK is secondary to being with him. If I had to I would even manage to settle in Outer Mongolia with him! lol

USA is a forever and ever kind of plan for us. He has just this week started the Green Card process through his Immigration lawyer and Employer.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

We have been engaged for almost 3 yrs so I have had plenty of time to get used to the idea. Returning to the UK without him is not really an option! Being in USA or UK is secondary to being with him. If I had to I would even manage to settle in Outer Mongolia with him! lol

USA is a forever and ever kind of plan for us. He has just this week started the Green Card process through his Immigration lawyer and Employer.
Awwww you guys are sweet!

Remember, the U.S. is a very large country with varied cultures throughout - so if Houston isn't for you after a while, there are many many other choices. Oh yes.... and they aren't all so HOT!
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you sofi. You sound like a sensible and determined young lady.
Houston is no better nor no worse than most major cities all over the US. There are areas you need to avoid but you will soon learn. If you are looking to live around the Rice Uni area then you will be fine.

Studying at Rice, U of H or any of the Houston Community colleges sounds like a good idea to keep you occupied and a great way to make new friends. Both my kids got their degrees at U of H. If you want any info about volunteering let me know I am involved with 2 different groups right now and in the 20 years we have been here I have done a lot of volunteering in the Houston area.

Good luck with your move. PM me if I can be of any help.......
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 9:12 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Because the drivers are big, the roads are big, and you buy a lot of stuff that just won't fit in a mini. And when everyone else is driving a tank, you don't really feel safe in a Yugo.
This is changing somewhat due to the cost of gas/petrol. The biggest gas guzzlers have fallen way out of favour though they still are around.

If you have the luxury of two cars, I'd buy something that would get you around the university area -- a Mini Cooper would do nicely.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

mini cooper is exactly the car i have my sights set on! now I just have to plant the idea in his head so he thinks it was his idea in the first place
But I wont be getting a car that quickly though. Lots of other expenses to take care of first
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 9:34 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

mini cooper is exactly the car i have my sights set on! now I just have to plant the idea in his head so he thinks it was his idea in the first place
Tell him your choice is a Suburban/Tahoe/Expedition in order to "fit in". He'll freak out about the petrol costs. Then "compromise" on the Mini.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 9:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Tell him your choice is a Suburban/Tahoe/Expedition in order to "fit in". He'll freak out about the petrol costs. Then "compromise" on the Mini.
Shhh I've just got back from looking at new Expeditions...my husband did make a remark about the cost of filling a 33 gal tank...but I didn't listen.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm I think I will use the compromise trick. It's a good one!!
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 10:06 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

manchester to houston is going to be rough. houston, is not the nicest area in america, depending on where you live in houston of course.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

I agree with Sugarmooma. It'll just be like any other big city. I'm pretty sure its not going to be all that bad to be honest.

Even Manchester has it 'bad' areas. Hulme anyone...?! And I'm sure I can be a whole load of 5ft 2in menace if I need to hehehe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.