Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from Aberdeen

Moving to Houston from Aberdeen

Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:06 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston from Aberdeen

Originally Posted by Suexpat
Mr Weeze. I have a friend leaving here and going back to the UK and that is certainly not the case for her. I think parents just need to be aware. Another example, BSH for parents coming from state schools in the UK are very impressed with the school. We came from the private education sector in the UK and it certainly was not acceptable for us.
Well that is a little less cut and dry a statement than your previous one.

Having been through 10 different schools as an expat child, including public school in the UK, I feel it is possible to use state education and move to another country, especially for primary school.

Now secondary education, if you know you're heading back, that is a different matter.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people in Katy/Cinco areas tend to Green card so they are not true expats.
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement -- a person holding a green card is a permanent resident of the United States.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

I think this forum is to help people and give advise both good or bad. My feeling is that if people know all the pluses and negatives they can form their own opinion. For my family BSH was the worse school my children had ever attended but I have friends who are really impressed with the school.

Its the same with location, for example if my husband worked downtown I would never live in Katy but thats my opinion.

Anyway I am sure the people on here who are moving to Houston will find great schools for their children and the same with houses.

For me I cannot wait to get out of Houston but thats a whole different story.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 8:15 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I think this forum is to help people and give advise both good or bad. My feeling is that if people know all the pluses and negatives they can form their own opinion. For my family BSH was the worse school my children had ever attended but I have friends who are really impressed with the school.

Its the same with location, for example if my husband worked downtown I would never live in Katy but thats my opinion.

Anyway I am sure the people on here who are moving to Houston will find great schools for their children and the same with houses.

For me I cannot wait to get out of Houston but thats a whole different story.
You're exactly right, and with the little extra detail you gave here it has actually probably really helped
Old Dec 21st 2012, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
You're exactly right, and with the little extra detail you gave here it has actually probably really helped
I am glad
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 3:17 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I'll just add my tuppenceworth! We moved when my son was 9 and he went into 4th grade which kept him with his age group. I would say that he was ahead in English and Math (but not by a huge leap) but US History/Geography and Science were new to him, they 'do' math slightly differently and then there are the new spellings etc in English. I also felt that it gave him an 'easier' year, after all he had a lot to deal with just with the move, making new friends etc.

Private School was not an option, hubby's company were not going to pay for it and it would have been cost prohibitive for us. I would rather save the money towards his college education.

The Dude has done exceptionally well in school over here and much prefers school here to UK, he is in GT classes and is well above where I would have been at that age. Maybe we have just been lucky with our schools but I feel that the schools pay more attention to each individual child and keep us much better informed about their progress than they ever did in the UK.

We live in Pearland so not every expat chooses Katy/Cinco/Lakes on Eldridge which is sometimes how it feels when you read BE or CityData. If those areas are great for your commute/housing/schooling wonderful but there are other areas to check out. In fact in the last year I have met 3 lovely BE friends, one in Friendswood, another in Pearland and one just south of us.

We did move with the intention of making it long term and we now have our green cards. We have no intentions of moving back in the foreseeable future so Houston must be doing something right for us!
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 12:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I'll just add my tuppenceworth! We moved when my son was 9 and he went into 4th grade which kept him with his age group. I would say that he was ahead in English and Math (but not by a huge leap) but US History/Geography and Science were new to him, they 'do' math slightly differently and then there are the new spellings etc in English. I also felt that it gave him an 'easier' year, after all he had a lot to deal with just with the move, making new friends etc.

Private School was not an option, hubby's company were not going to pay for it and it would have been cost prohibitive for us. I would rather save the money towards his college education.

The Dude has done exceptionally well in school over here and much prefers school here to UK, he is in GT classes and is well above where I would have been at that age. Maybe we have just been lucky with our schools but I feel that the schools pay more attention to each individual child and keep us much better informed about their progress than they ever did in the UK.

We live in Pearland so not every expat chooses Katy/Cinco/Lakes on Eldridge which is sometimes how it feels when you read BE or CityData. If those areas are great for your commute/housing/schooling wonderful but there are other areas to check out. In fact in the last year I have met 3 lovely BE friends, one in Friendswood, another in Pearland and one just south of us.

We did move with the intention of making it long term and we now have our green cards. We have no intentions of moving back in the foreseeable future so Houston must be doing something right for us!

We is all good down here in the county of Brazoria. Yes siree Bob
Old Dec 27th 2012, 1:52 pm
G13
Just Joined

G13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can i just ask how you all are moving to Houston? H1B visas?

I lived in Houston for 3 years recently but moved to FL. still have a house in the NE area over there.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 2:25 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G13
Can i just ask how you all are moving to Houston? H1B visas?

I lived in Houston for 3 years recently but moved to FL. still have a house in the NE area over there.
L1A for hubby, L2 for me and the dude but now we have Green Cards.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

JenABZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Same visas for us. I like the look of pearland. Quite like the IDE of gated community to start with and LOE and LOEN look good with Legends ranch also high up. Have arranged to look at the Brit int school and The Village school as the ratings for schools in our offered areas seem quite low. Also want one school for both kids.
New question for y'all is: car purchase and insurance. Where is best and cheapest..respectively!
Many happy new year to All on the forum too.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

JenABZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies! Too much red wine tonight!!
Happy new year to all on the forum!
X
Old Dec 28th 2012, 9:46 pm
The worse half of Weeze

I'm sure this was done for Parisangel recently - try a search (I'll struggle to search, copy link and paste on the phone)