Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston from Aberdeen

Moving to Houston from Aberdeen

Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston from Aberdeen

Originally Posted by Mareth
Chocolatebabz you mentioned getting your green card. What do you need to do to get that?
Also been checking up on getting driving licence. Am I correct that we will both have to sit exam and driving test? Do we need to get an International driving licence?
If it's work related, you need an employer to sponsor you for your Green Card. Ours has been at the Visa Centre since Jan 2007 and they're still only looking at December 2005 applications, so it's a long wait for our category, we're currently on the H visas. I think it's different for L visas, someone else would be able to clarify the procedures for GC application on an L.

As for your driving license, check out the local DMV website and it'll tell you how long you have to get your license (in CT it's within 30 days) and what you have to do to get it. We had to do an 8 hour class, multiple choice and then practical test. Sorry I can't be more helpful, did you find out what visa you're coming over on???
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Mareth is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Brat1. Waiting to hear what type of visa we will be coming over on. Sounds like work may not be an option for me!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:41 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

You have 90 days in which to sit your driving test in Texas. You have ton do a multiple choice exam and then a theory test. You need to study before the test as lots of the questions are about fines and sentences for 18 year olds. For the test itself, you parallel park, reverse in a straight line, turn left 4 times and right 4 times while driving round near the test centre. You can't sit the test until you have your social security numbers. If you won't be getting one, you need a signed declaration to that effect. Sorry can't remember who was allowed to sign it as I got a SSN. You need to take your passport with you along with a letter confirming your husband is employed and his wages. This needs to be from his work and very recent. This is to show you are financially viable. You also need to take proof of insurance and ownership papers. The driving book was given to us but from what I remember, you can get them at any test centre. In Texas, you can sit your test in any test centre in the whole of Texas. As we didn't fancy queuing from 6am for ours in central Houston, we went for a drive out into the country. Before you are allowed to do the written exam, you get your eyesight tested.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank Weeze. Wow. Guess if we want to drive we have to do it. Been driving a long time now and never thought we'd have to sit tests.
Do we have to apply for SSN?
Suppose if I'm not able to work I'll have plenty time to study for the tests!!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:06 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Chocolatebabz you mentioned getting your green card. What do you need to do to get that?
Also been checking up on getting driving licence. Am I correct that we will both have to sit exam and driving test? Do we need to get an International driving licence?
We are here through a company transfer - hubby on L1A, me and the dude on L2. On this kind of Visa I could work if I got an EAD (Employment Authorisation Document) but I haven't bothered. This type of Visa is issued for 3 years initially and then you can renew for another 2 x 2 years (total of 7 years). As his company wants him to stay (and we do) we need to get Greencards to allow us to stay any longer than that period. Luckily hubby's employers lawyers are taking care of all the paperwork we have just had to supply some documents and signatures and have a medical. The paperwork has not actually been submitted yet as we all have to be in the country at the time of submission and I can't get my hubby to hang around long enough what with him being an international man of mystery and all that. It will be submitted when we get back from UK after thanksgiving, then it's a waiting game.

Oh and I managed to fail my drivers test first time round - drive like an old lady and you will be fine.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:08 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Thank Weeze. Wow. Guess if we want to drive we have to do it. Been driving a long time now and never thought we'd have to sit tests.
Do we have to apply for SSN?
Suppose if I'm not able to work I'll have plenty time to study for the tests!!
Yes you need to apply for SSN's at the SS office but wait until you have been in the US at least 10 days so that you are 'in the system' - otherwise this can cause a delay in them being issued.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Yes you need to apply for SSN's at the SS office but wait until you have been in the US at least 10 days so that you are 'in the system' - otherwise this can cause a delay in them being issued.
And if you are coming over on an H4, your SS office will issue you a letter stating that you are not entitled to a SS number. When your OH comes to do a tax return, you would need to get an ITIN number in place of the SS number, only for tax purposes. Hope I haven't confused you

I think once you know what kind of visa you're coming over on, it'll be a lot easier, I would have thought by now that the company would have made it clear the terms and conditions.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by troymccain
Nice to hear Mareth, you and your hubby is moving to Aberdeenshire, A new place a new life.
I think you need to read what she actually wrote... not what you think she wrote. Also, I don't much care for your signature... but that's just me!

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:50 am
Just Joined

At last we know what type of visa. It's a H1 so I'm an H4!
OH spoke to American embassy in London and got a very helpful Scottish girl who explained things to him.
Believe it can take up to 90 days before visa issued so not going to be in Houston as early as we thought.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

OH spoke to American embassy in London and got a very helpful Scottish girl who explained things to him.
Believe it can take up to 90 days before visa issued so not going to be in Houston as early as we thought.
Same as us then Just try to relax, it will give you time to plan your move and get everything organised. What sort of assistance is your OH's company going to give you regarding relocation, ie, are they going to help you with accommodation etc.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:11 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Lady of leisure then.....
Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Unless he went to the Embassy in person, it's more likely that he spoke to a 3rd party contractor at the call center in Scotland... who may or may not have given correct information!

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby and I are moving to Houston in about 6-8 wks from Oldmeldrum in Aberdeenshire. He'll be working in Humble. Can anyone help with ideas of where best to live. We have no kids to worry about.
Thanks in advance for any replies
Aha. H4 Visa. AKA "the leisurely spouse visa" or "the visa from hell", depending on your viewpoint.

Good luck with everything. Please stick around here
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:13 pm
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by tonrob
Lady of leisure then.....
Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
"the leisurely spouse visa"
Now I feel bad cos I'm managing that on my L2 not sure if I can keep it up if the green cards come through
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:43 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Now I feel bad cos I'm managing that on my L2 not sure if I can keep it up if the green cards come through
Me too Babz, me too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.