Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston

Moving to Houston

Old Apr 18th 2019, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Houston

Probably a L1 so wife will get a L2 which means she can get EAD which allows you to work, General time line to get EAD is 4 to 6 months but that is variable and how long it will take your wife is anybody guess.

Teaching varies by State, so does demand. Best for her to find out what the Schools require and how that matches with what she currently has.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 12:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Beware of school districts that have excess open positions to fill and/or are always hiring in large numbers.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski, i have used goodrx program for 2-3 years now. I unfortunately don't have health care this year as the healthcare market place ran me round the ringer last year. Without goodrx there would be no way I could afford the meds I take..
Old Apr 20th 2019, 2:07 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Houston,_TX

This is old, but might be of use to you
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

I dated a teacher a few years back when I was living in Houston, she worked for Aldine ISD, which isn't exactly the best of the districts (putting it politely); they were however always hiring, pay was roughly on a par with UK equivalents. She made $55k pa, if I recall correctly. Cant speak for wether UK certifications would be accepted though.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Ddavisrn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

W
Originally Posted by LurcherLu

Well thanks for all the feedback guys, it is appreciated. Here’s another question.

My wife is a qualified primary school teacher and also has experience working with kids who require additional support. Being from the UK and assuming she has the correct visa, what is the transition like from gaining employment in a primary school. Will she require further training? Is the education system in Houston difficult to gain employment or are they short of teachers there?

Regards,
LL
She would need further qualifications. First I would have her get her degree/teacher qualifications submitted through an agency for US educational equivalency. The US don’t understand British qualifications. Then I believe there is a test she would need to take in order to teach in Texas. I don’t know the name of it though. She would need to look further into this. I only know this as my daughter is about to graduate with her teaching degree and there were two tests she had to take.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 1:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
I dated a teacher a few years back when I was living in Houston, she worked for Aldine ISD, which isn't exactly the best of the districts (putting it politely); they were however always hiring, …..
See #17, above.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
Probably because the UK media is full of stories of people dying in the streets and being denied access to hospitals unless they flash their gold bars at the front desk...
Yes, bingo, and they are dying in the streets because of all the gunfights everywhere.

Old Apr 24th 2019, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Beware of school districts that have excess open positions to fill and/or are always hiring in large numbers.
Yes, but she may not have a choice. Usual path is to do that for a year or two and then parlay it into a move to a choice school or school district.

The good news is, the Houston area is generally hiring teachers.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by carcajou
Yes, but she may not have a choice. Usual path is to do that for a year or two and then parlay it into a move to a choice school district. .....
Understood and wholly agreed. My post was a thinly-veiled warning that taking such a position could be really ugly! School districts that are continuously short-staffed and hiring in large numbers don't have any plumb positions.