Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston

Moving to Houston

Old Dec 28th 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston

Originally Posted by Suexpat
We are in the oil industry and have lived in many countries and different parts of the US and I must say Houston is not our favorite. My children have experienced so much in their travels but I don't know what Houston has given them. So if you have to come here for work then fine but if you have other options then, in my opinion, somewhere else within reason is better.
Agree. We are dreaming of our next posting. Houston didn't do much for us; we enjoy other places in the USA.

Houston isn't all high paying jobs and cheap food and accommodation, like people seem to think~~!!

We came for work reasons and counting the time until we leave.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 9:54 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the oil industry and have lived in many countries and different parts of the US and I must say Houston is not our favorite. My children have experienced so much in their travels but I don't know what Houston has given them. So if you have to come here for work then fine but if you have other options then, in my opinion, somewhere else within reason is better.
I think there's a lot here to be honest. There aren't many cities where so much is so accessible. How many places can your kids swim 8 months a year outside? There's a lot that's accessible here, what do you think is missing?

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Agree. We are dreaming of our next posting. Houston didn't do much for us; we enjoy other places in the USA.

Houston isn't all high paying jobs and cheap food and accommodation, like people seem to think~~!!

We came for work reasons and counting the time until we leave.
It's kinda hard to argue that the houses aren't cheap here... Houses are cheap here. You can get an awful lot of house for your money here especially in the suburbs which have a lot to offer and the salaries here for oil are right up there with pretty much anywhere else.

If you embrace Houston, it has a lot to offer. It's also an excellent base to travel to other parts of the US from.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Well, being from the US (and hubby from UK), $500k for a house on a measly 1/4 acre lot IS expensive for many average Americans. And if you buy inside the inner loop, a large house for a family of four (say 3500 to 4000 sq ft) is much higher than that!

We can live MUCH more reasonably in many other states (excepting many areas of California and of course NYC). Not all people want that 1 hour plus commute from the outer suburbs.

For us, the lack of mountains, climate and size is what we don't much like about Houston. (As the American, I've lived here before AND in Fort Worth, which I like much better....) So having lived in so many places as well, its not that we aren't able to find what a city may have to offer.... Houston isn't for everyone. We'll be better off elsewhere and are happy to have had the experience here, but we'll be happy when we decide on our next adventure!

Mileage may vary for EVERYONE. Just folks tend to think Houston is dirt cheap with an overabundance of extremely well paid jobs.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 2:34 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Well, being from the US (and hubby from UK), $500k for a house on a measly 1/4 acre lot IS expensive for many average Americans. And if you buy inside the inner loop, a large house for a family of four (say 3500 to 4000 sq ft) is much higher than that!

We can live MUCH more reasonably in many other states (excepting many areas of California and of course NYC). Not all people want that 1 hour plus commute from the outer suburbs.

For us, the lack of mountains, climate and size is what we don't much like about Houston. (As the American, I've lived here before AND in Fort Worth, which I like much better....) So having lived in so many places as well, its not that we aren't able to find what a city may have to offer.... Houston isn't for everyone. We'll be better off elsewhere and are happy to have had the experience here, but we'll be happy when we decide on our next adventure!

Mileage may vary for EVERYONE. Just folks tend to think Houston is dirt cheap with an overabundance of extremely well paid jobs.
I'm sorry, I disagree with you. My commute generally takes me 25-30 mins and I paid considerably less than $500k for approx 1/3rd acre that's in the 3,500 - 4,000 sqft range. As a large city with thriving industry, Houston is cheap. Maybe not within all industries but in oil there are an abundance of jobs that are very well paid.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 2:46 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Househo..._United_States

Houston is well paid, relative to other areas in the USA.

We pay new grads (21 year olds) in excess of $100,000 base salary.

To me, Houston shines a spotlight on the polar ends of society that is reflective of the USA as a whole. You've got River Oaks with $10 million+ mansions and in about 5 miles you can buy a 4 bedroom house for $50,000.

http://search.har.com/engine/10846-F...AR33652644.htm
Old Dec 29th 2013, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
I think there's a lot here to be honest. There aren't many cities where so much is so accessible. How many places can your kids swim 8 months a year outside? There's a lot that's accessible here, what do you think is missing?

It's kinda hard to argue that the houses aren't cheap here... Houses are cheap here. You can get an awful lot of house for your money here especially in the suburbs which have a lot to offer and the salaries here for oil are right up there with pretty much anywhere else.

If you embrace Houston, it has a lot to offer. It's also an excellent base to travel to other parts of the US from.

Originally Posted by Bink
I'm sorry, I disagree with you. My commute generally takes me 25-30 mins and I paid considerably less than $500k for approx 1/3rd acre that's in the 3,500 - 4,000 sqft range. As a large city with thriving industry, Houston is cheap. Maybe not within all industries but in oil there are an abundance of jobs that are very well paid.

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze

To me, Houston shines a spotlight on the polar ends of society that is reflective of the USA as a whole. You've got River Oaks with $10 million+ mansions and in about 5 miles you can buy a 4 bedroom house for $50,000.

Old Jan 2nd 2014, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

I can't see why the above are all good posts. Just because a few of us are not in love with Houston doesn't mean we are wrong, we just have a different opinion from the 3 of you. Yes houses are cheap here but the quality is nothing like other countries so I would rather have a smaller house and better built. Also I am not worried if my children can swim in my own pool for 8 months a year. I am sure that many people could write a long list as too how great they think Houston is but there is also a lot of people who could write a long list about the downside.

After all this is a forum for all our views good and bad.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 1:24 pm
Rootbeeraholic

I can't see why the above are all good posts. Just because a few of us are not in love with Houston doesn't mean we are wrong, we just have a different opinion from the 3 of you. Yes houses are cheap here but the quality is nothing like other countries so I would rather have a smaller house and better built. Also I am not worried if my children can swim in my own pool for 8 months a year. I am sure that many people could write a long list as too how great they think Houston is but there is also a lot of people who could write a long list about the downside.

After all this is a forum for all our views good and bad.
You're perfectly entitled to your opinion and this is an open forum but explanation goes a long way to help others understand if they'd like it here. So far you've just said it sucks which doesn't really help anyone.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze

Mr. Weeze, what industry is this for - $100K is a lot of money, wow.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 1:32 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
Mr. Weeze, what industry is this for - $100K is a lot of money, wow.
Oil and gas.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

tommy.stewart27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to houston

I am moving to houston with my work and they the are doing all the visa for myself and my famly ( wife and 2 kids).
Am just looking for some information on what tax you pay on your wages and house tax?How do you go about buying a property?
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:07 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Do you plan on buying or renting? Getting a mortgage with no credit is hard, but not impossible. If you rent you don't pay property tax, the landlord does.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:08 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Default Re: moving to houston

Originally Posted by tommy.stewart27
I am moving to houston with my work and they the are doing all the visa for myself and my famly ( wife and 2 kids).
Am just looking for some information on what tax you pay on your wages and house tax?How do you go about buying a property?
Taxes here are complicated. There isn't a one answer fits all solution. There are so many things that affect how much you pay, it's unbelievable.

As an example, I only paid tax on 70% of my income last year due to various deductions, exemptions etc etc. So the difference between my gross income and what is called my Adjusted Gross Income was 30%. This year the reduction won't be so high so I can't just go off last year's numbers even though my income level will be very similar and the tax brackets haven't really changed. This varies by circumstance; income level, marital situation, children, childcare expenses, whether or not you own a home (mortgage interest and property tax), sales tax write offs (if you buy a car for example), student loan interest, the list goes on... It's not like the UK where the tax withholding gets adjusted throughout the year, you tell your company how much you want to withhold and at the end of the year either the IRS owes you, or you owe them.

As for property tax - you only pay this (directly) if you own a property. This varies by location but in Houston can be anywhere from 2% - 3.8% of assessed property value per year. Generally the newer neighborhoods and those with good schools have higher property tax rates.

Last edited by Bink; Jan 3rd 2014 at 5:12 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

tommy.stewart27 is an unknown quantity at this point

We will be selling our house in the UK and looking to buy in katy
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy.stewart27
We will be selling our house in the UK and looking to buy in katy
Think very carefully about buying property until/unless you have got green cards.

Without that permanent residency, if something were to happen to your employment you were have to repatriate to the UK promptly... that's not always easy to do if you have property to offload.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.