Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to Houston

moving to Houston

Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Geordiemama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Houston

We are relocating to Houston from UK in January with my husbands job - only found out a few days ago. Our 15 year old son will likely go to the The British school as he has already begun GCSE courses (year 10). Can anyone help provide some advice on good places to live? I`ve heard Woodlands is nice but maybe a bit far from school. Katy is too far from Husbands work. It would be nice to be around fellow Brits and also for my son to have some mates close by.
Also are there any rugby clubs and amateur dramatic societies in Houston?
Feeling TOTALLY overwhelmed!!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:48 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Houston

Firstly welcome!

I moved to Houston for work from the UK in January, so feel free to ask away and I'll try and help! Quite a few peeps here in Houston on the forum so you should get plenty of answers.

Firstly, where is your husbands work? Traffic can be bad in Houston so you'll want to be somewhere that's not a killer commute, this can affect the areas that will get recommended to you.

As for rugby, this is a good place to start: http://www.houstonrugby.org/
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:55 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we moved from Aberdeen two and half years ago. I know a lot of people with kids at the British School live around the Lakes on Eldridge area but as Bink said you will want to take into account where your husbands work is. There are a lot of nice developments up the 290 but my hubby drove up that way (Blackhorse Ranch golfing!!) last week for an 8.00am start and said the traffic was a nightmare. We are South of Houston in Pearland.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:57 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Hi, we moved from Aberdeen two and half years ago. I know a lot of people with kids at the British School live around the Lakes on Eldridge area but as Bink said you will want to take into account where your husbands work is. There are a lot of nice developments up the 290 but my hubby drove up that way (Blackhorse Ranch golfing!!) last week for an 8.00am start and said the traffic was a nightmare. We are South of Houston in Pearland.
290 is possibly the worst commuting road in Houston (IMO)! I had to commute from 249=>beltway=>290=>610. Horrible!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:41 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

My brother lives in Friendswood and likes it, but I have no idea what the traffic or commute would be like.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:50 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome.
We moved from the UK to Houston about 6 weeks ago. Like others have said, it really depends where your husband will be working as to where would be a good place to live. Do you know what the area is called he will be working in?
We have opted for Katy, but just into Katy and my husbands work is in the galleria area so his commute will be about 20 mins on a morning and about 35mins on an afternoon.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Also check www.city-data.com/forum/houston/ It is a Houston specific forum and can probably answer lots of your questions.

Good luck with your move.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Also worth checking out the wiki for general advice on the move and some past threads on things that might affect the kids, visas and Houston
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:28 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Geordiemama ,

Can't help with info about Houston I'm afraid as I am in North Carolina, but I wanted to stop by and say hi and welcome you to BE. I hope you enjoy your time with us. Please don't' hesitate to give myself, the moderators or the concierges a shout if you have any site questions. We've also got a Site Feedback forum where you can post questions/concerns/suggestions.

Sue
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordiemama
We are relocating to Houston from UK in January with my husbands job - only found out a few days ago. Our 15 year old son will likely go to the The British school as he has already begun GCSE courses (year 10). Can anyone help provide some advice on good places to live? I`ve heard Woodlands is nice but maybe a bit far from school. Katy is too far from Husbands work. It would be nice to be around fellow Brits and also for my son to have some mates close by.
Also are there any rugby clubs and amateur dramatic societies in Houston?
Feeling TOTALLY overwhelmed!!

Hello Geordiemama...welcome to BE.

As you can see we have several members living in the Houston area. It seems to be very popular with Brits...we've had quite a few new members move there over the last few months.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest getting in touch with the British School to find out where their buses pick up. I know they service Lakes on Eldridge and Twin Lakes which are 2 subdivisions on the west side and not as far out as Katy, you probably don't want to spend your life driving your child to and from school (so not cool for either of you!).

Commutes in Houston can be awful so if you post where your husband's office is located we might be able to give useful info on routes and times. Good luck with your move!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:11 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Holy moly. You guys are thick are thieves.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Julia_10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am moving to Houston very soon to start with with a company near the Galleria. I am thinking of moving mid Dec (only have myself to move) or possibly by early Jan.

Just wondering - does Houston 'shut down' over Xmas/New Year ? I am currently living in Oz and I know here things get very slow over the Xmas/New Year period.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 1:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julia_10
I too am moving to Houston very soon to start with with a company near the Galleria. I am thinking of moving mid Dec (only have myself to move) or possibly by early Jan.

Just wondering - does Houston 'shut down' over Xmas/New Year ? I am currently living in Oz and I know here things get very slow over the Xmas/New Year period.

..sorry... Christmas is one day, if it's not the weekend then it's back to work the next day. Boxing Day does not exist.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:05 am
Just Joined

Julia_10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
..sorry... Christmas is one day, if it's not the weekend then it's back to work the next day. Boxing Day does not exist.
Great - thanks for the info. Looking at leaving Oz 28th Dec to start on or around the 3 Jan. By the sounds of it most (if not all) shops and companies will be back to business as usual straight after Xmas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.