Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Houston

Moving to Houston

Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:44 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston

Thanks for your responses everyone.

We will be asking the company to see if they can place a cot in the serviced apartment for us. I still think I might bring the cot as air freight as then it will be more settled for the little one. I'll get them to pack toys, clothes and books around it. As we'll be staying near the galleria I thought we'd go toy shopping when we get there and we can buy a new special welcome to America toy. I've been thinking so much of how to make little one settle in quickly that I haven't really thought of me. How silly! Putting things like photos and homemaking things sound like a really good idea.

I go over in 3 weeks and the realitor is going to show us some areas to rent in then. I've got a few places in mind like lakes on eldridge, sugarville, Katy and a couple of others that people have recommended. I'll know to look out for if they just want to put us next to other company folks now, thanks.

Thankfully, the company also is sorting out social security numbers and bank accounts as well. We have just got amex cards though as they offered to switch our UK credit history when we moved so thought that might be helpful. Of course, this is presuming the visa application gets finalised as we still have to have our interview at the American Embassy!

Bomjeto - congratulations on your new house!

Some people from OH work have given us American elecronics such as a kettle, hairdryer, straighteners and a sound system and we'll buy the rest out there. We are still bringing across our old ones though as OH says he'll set up the UK stuff with adapters so the game systems still work. I'm suprised about your furniture. Was it the size or style that was the problem? I thought American properties were generally bigger than in the UK?

I don't drive that much in the UK as I don't need to. Guess all that will have to change. I've been told that the driving test pass rate in Houston is 100% but that just makes it all the more embarising if I fail on a pararell park!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:47 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
I don't drive that much in the UK as I don't need to. Guess all that will have to change. I've been told that the driving test pass rate in Houston is 100% but that just makes it all the more embarising if I fail on a pararell park!
I failed first time for pulling out in front of someone at a junction...oh the shame....

If memory serves the game systems will only work if you have a dual NTSC/PAL tv over here otherwise you will need a converter box - not cheap at $230 but the wee man had loads of games for his PS2 so we sprung for one.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Fry's is great for electronic everything at good prices.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for Frys.... returns are quite impossible and customer service nil.

You do get what you pay for at Frys.

JMHO from Frys in California and Nevada.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

We have had no problems with them at all but it is always good to be buyer beware.