Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving Home Contents To Usa. Need Shipper&storage Company Recommendations

Moving Home Contents To Usa. Need Shipper&storage Company Recommendations

Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:46 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Home Contents To Usa. Need Shipper&storage Company Recommendations

Originally Posted by Bob
Check the power supply, most stuff from the EU won't have a problem working here being dual voltage, just need a plug adaptor, it's stuff from the US would would probably blow and need a transformer when moving back.
thanks for the tip Bob, will get husband onto that task. I am still learning how to get the DVD player to work!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:42 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Home Contents To Usa. Need Shipper&storage Company Recommendations

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
good tip about the TV/DVD/Video stuff. i just assumed no good as not electrically compatible. it would be a shame not to be able to play the stuff we have already got and the family sharing tip is invaluable. thanks for the tip. presume you got transformers???
You will need one for the TV etc we had a transformer - for going from the UK to the US you need a STEP-UP transformer from (UK 240 - US 110) (if you look at the back of all your appliances and says 240/110 volts you don't need a transformer but as UK TVs aren't meant to be run here I very much doubt that it will say that) we bought a stepup and step down transformer combined as you can then take some US appliances back to the UK in the future.
Just remember to bring all the connections - scart leads etc with you.

If you look at the back of your TV you may get a wattage (power out) sticker on the back of your TV but if you want to have video and DVD/playstation going as well you have to factor that in...a 1000 wattage one should do you (covering TV and DVD) but if want to play extra safe a 2000 wattage one would easily cover you. Which would run a microwave, TV aren't that powerful regarding wattage output.

The other thing you should know is that our combined transformer when arrived was a universal one meaning it didn't have a socket on it for a UK plug so you will need to get an adapter plug to plug into the transformer, which you can get here in any travel shop. You will also need a multi plug strip for your TV and DVD etc to plug in.

You can get a transformer from about $50- $100.

It sounds complicated but honestly its not..if I can do it you can

PS Don't ask me why you need a step - up transformer when coming to the US from the UK as looking at it logically you would think you would need a step- down transformer as the US voltage is 110 and the UK voltage runs on 240 but you do!!

Last edited by Irn-bru; Apr 30th 2007 at 11:54 pm.
Old May 1st 2007, 4:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
You will need one for the TV etc we had a transformer - for going from the UK to the US you need a STEP-UP transformer from (UK 240 - US 110) (if you look at the back of all your appliances and says 240/110 volts you don't need a transformer but as UK TVs aren't meant to be run here I very much doubt that it will say that) we bought a stepup and step down transformer combined as you can then take some US appliances back to the UK in the future.
Just remember to bring all the connections - scart leads etc with you.
These days, you don't, most are dual voltage, it's the same electrics that are used for stuff sold in mainland europe which is mostly 110V as well.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:57 am
Account Closed

conisby is an unknown quantity at this point

PS Don't ask me why you need a step - up transformer when coming to the US from the UK as looking at it logically you would think you would need a step- down transformer as the US voltage is 110 and the UK voltage runs on 240 but you do!!
Seems logical to me, its the power coming out of the wall socket that needs lifting from 110 to 240.
Old May 1st 2007, 6:01 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I just brought my slippers in a tescos' bag ..

I left behind a house full of old crap
10 years later I have another house full of newer crap ...
Old May 1st 2007, 6:35 am

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
These days, you don't, most are dual voltage, it's the same electrics that are used for stuff sold in mainland europe which is mostly 110V as well.
not for TVs as I was talking about.

But as I said she might be lucky if she checks her back of her TV and DVD etc but still doubt it not many TV's can run on both 110 and 240v. Though it would depend on how old her TV is etc, but I know our very modern one wouldn't run here without a transformer.

But for computers and other stuff usually not a problem.

Last edited by Irn-bru; May 1st 2007 at 6:38 am.
Old May 1st 2007, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by conisby
Seems logical to me, its the power coming out of the wall socket that needs lifting from 110 to 240.
just my non logical brain then
Old May 1st 2007, 10:01 am
Just Joined

AshesUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Can't you just get a multi-region dvd player and NTSC/PAL video recorder? We always had a NTSC/PAL video recorder when I was a kid as we were US Military so we had videos from all over!
Old May 1st 2007, 5:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AshesUK
Can't you just get a multi-region dvd player and NTSC/PAL video recorder? We always had a NTSC/PAL video recorder when I was a kid as we were US Military so we had videos from all over!
yes, about $30...so it's probably just easier to buy over here anyway. VHS getting ntsc/pal is expensive though.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
yes, about $30...so it's probably just easier to buy over here anyway. VHS getting ntsc/pal is expensive though.
my husband has a large collection of UK tv shows on video so we'll have to invest in the expensive VHS recorder!
Old May 1st 2007, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We used EuroUsa.

www.the-eurogroup.com.

We didn't chose them, they were the ones the relocation company used.
They are based in Suffolk and I think subcontract the work to someone local to you.
Similarly, at this end they had an agreement with a local company.

They were excellent, probably the best part of our relocation. The Suffolk office coordinated everything. We had lots of questions about stuff we could and couldn't bring and they were always quick with answers, we never had to chase them.

The team who packed were great. They involved our children, looked after the dog, made me cups of tea, went to the shop to buy Birds custard powder to put in the container!

The team at this end were OK, can't fault them, but they didn't have the same approach. They moaned a lot about the weight of some of the boxes, which I could lift!

Nothing was broken, chipped or marked in anyway.

OH's company wouldn't pay for any storage so we moved straight into our house and lived on air beds for a while. Paper plates ets.
No washing machine at first and that was hard as there are no launderettes near us.
I'll put in a good word for EuroUSA as well -- they were superb. Packed everything for us with zero fuss, loaded up the container and off it went. Painless.

Everything went great, even though we'd originally asked them to send it to NC and we ended up in WA (a long story), they had no problems rerouting the container and didn't even charge us extra!

Not a single thing was damaged, and the unloaded team in Seattle were great as well. Every box was numbered and I got to check them off as they came out of the container. They put everything where we asked and even reassembled the beds for us. All we had to do was open the boxes and we were done.

I'd recommend them anytime.
Old May 1st 2007, 9:25 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
i am a nosey bitch i know, but what happened with all the stuff he was moving? there must be a story in that too? One that i am sure am not the only person to want to read??? Did he get his equipment and how.
Hi again,
I'll try to keep it brief since I took up so much of your thread with our story.

Since the press they were moving was the first thing being put in the truck, nothing actually got loaded or moved that day. His business partner made sure to lock everything else up securely until we could figure out what to do and when he would need to get things shipped.

It ended up that he ended up flying about four weeks later with just some suitcases. When he got here he couldn't work right away because of his injuries and because of no work authorization anyway. We eventually had Excess Baggage ship his things (equipment included) about six months later. His business partner and his parents handled the on-site arrangements with them and they were really good.

Everything arrived just fine. That was three years ago and we're going strong!

~SG
Old May 1st 2007, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by AshesUK
Like Bob said I'd buy it here. We had a multi-region DVD and multi region VHS recorder combined (was expensive) which we bought in the UK.

But found when moved here (we could have known sooner ) that ours only had a scart lead output which of course you can't plug into a US TV as they use component.
And of course as I said before this time we didn't bring our TV so my Dad got a good present!

But if you buy a multi-region player in the US they seem to have multi outlets, scart and component.

But you could, if your company is paying for the move, just bring your TV and DVD stuff over and view all your UK stuff on your UK TV..more awkward but cheaper.
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Like Bob said I'd buy it here. We had a multi-region DVD and multi region VHS recorder combined (was expensive) which we bought in the UK.

But found when moved here (we could have known sooner ) that ours only had a scart lead output which of course you can't plug into a US TV as they use component.
And of course as I said before this time we didn't bring our TV so my Dad got a good present!

But if you buy a multi-region player in the US they seem to have multi outlets, scart and component.

But you could, if your company is paying for the move, just bring your TV and DVD stuff over and view all your UK stuff on your UK TV..more awkward but cheaper.
We're not moving with a company, doing it all ourselves, so it's very much weight and size of transporting vs cost of replacing when we get there.

Great opportunity to dump all the stuff we don't really like/need and have a good clear out!
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:55 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
most electronics designed these days will normally (although some still don't) have a switch mode power supply that will operated from around 85V ac right up to about 264V ac

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.