Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving home with an American fiancé

Moving home with an American fiancé

Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

graceplant is just really nicegraceplant is just really nicegraceplant is just really nicegraceplant is just really nicegraceplant is just really nicegraceplant is just really nicegraceplant is just really nicegraceplant is just really nice
Default Moving home with an American fiancé

I am a British citizen who has been living in the US for 3 years on an F1 visa. It will be expired as of February 2011. My fiancé is a US citizen and we are planning on moving to the UK together next year. He has an MA in Education and is a teacher. We are trying to plan where/when to get married. I was hoping we could get married in England next summer however we are wondering if it would make the process easier if we have a civil wedding here so we can enter the UK as man and wife. Is this easier than him entering on a fiancé visa or a work visa? We would like to stay in the UK for at least 3 years. After that we are hoping to have the flexibility to live back here in the US. Does anyone know if this is possible for a married couple, to live in both the US or the UK and go back and forth? Also, we are wondering since I am an EU citizen will he also have the freedom to live anywhere in the EU once we are married?
We are considering getting an immigration lawyer to answer all these questions for us and help us to make a plan of action that will be easy and straightforward (ha!). Has anyone on the board been through a similar situation? Can anyone recommend a good immigration lawyer who could answer all these questions for us? Is there any other way to get these answers without shelling out lots of money?!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving home with an American fiancé

You may want to look at the visa advice from the US to UK standpoint over at www.uk-yankee.com
Old Aug 5th 2010, 12:02 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by graceplant
I am a British citizen who has been living in the US for 3 years on an F1 visa. It will be expired as of February 2011. My fiancé is a US citizen and we are planning on moving to the UK together next year. He has an MA in Education and is a teacher. We are trying to plan where/when to get married. I was hoping we could get married in England next summer however we are wondering if it would make the process easier if we have a civil wedding here so we can enter the UK as man and wife. Is this easier than him entering on a fiancé visa or a work visa? We would like to stay in the UK for at least 3 years. After that we are hoping to have the flexibility to live back here in the US. Does anyone know if this is possible for a married couple, to live in both the US or the UK and go back and forth? Also, we are wondering since I am an EU citizen will he also have the freedom to live anywhere in the EU once we are married?
We are considering getting an immigration lawyer to answer all these questions for us and help us to make a plan of action that will be easy and straightforward (ha!). Has anyone on the board been through a similar situation? Can anyone recommend a good immigration lawyer who could answer all these questions for us? Is there any other way to get these answers without shelling out lots of money?!
I think an immigration lawyer would be pricey - aren't all lawyers? If you are a couple and have the ability to prove that, you will be fine. Look up defacto visa and there's lots of info on line.

Also, if you are both thinking of moving back and forth he can't be out of the UK for longer than 6 months and retain his residence.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graceplant
I would think it would be advantageous of you to obtain US citizenship, before you move back to the UK. Especially if you want ease of going back and forth later on.