Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Hoboken - advice please...

Moving to Hoboken - advice please...

Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

hd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nice
Default Moving to Hoboken - advice please...

My husband and I are relocating to the US for my job which will be based in Midtown, NYC. A number of people recommended Hoboken as a nice place to live (initially) and we did a short trip recently to check it out. Obviously being so early for finding a place to rent, we only managed to see three different apartments.

We loved Hoboken itself, the fact that we don't have to get a car and a short commute for me. We *thought* it was a safe neighbourhood but one of the realtors was quite evasive when we asked and said the areas close to JC Heights are quite developed - what did she mean by that?

We are hoping to get a two-bedroom with a price range up to $2200, I thought this was reasonable as long as I didn't set my sights on one of the riverside apartments. The first apartment we saw was lovely but only a one-bed, had a roof deck (downtown). The second was uptown and huge but railroad - the middle rooms were very dingy due to lack of windows. The third was a small modern apartment downtown and a few blocks from the main street (being the most expensive at $2100).

I was hoping to get a place in a renovated older building but not railroad - is this possible with my price range?

Another possible issue was when seeing the uptown apartment, two doors away there were a few older ladies sat by the door. They smiled at the estate agent but gave me and my husband "evils". We're British-Indians - is racism going to be a problem for us in Hoboken?

Sorry for such a long first post!

H
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:05 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Hoboken - advice please...

Hi,

I don't live in Hoboken but wanted to welcome you to the site. I know we have a few members who live that way and I am sure one of them will be along soon to share their experiences.

I hope you enjoy using BE.

Regards

Sue
Old Sep 29th 2009, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

hd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nice

Thanks Sue
Old Sep 29th 2009, 4:37 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hd44
My husband and I are relocating to the US for my job which will be based in Midtown, NYC. A number of people recommended Hoboken as a nice place to live (initially) and we did a short trip recently to check it out. Obviously being so early for finding a place to rent, we only managed to see three different apartments.

We loved Hoboken itself, the fact that we don't have to get a car and a short commute for me. We *thought* it was a safe neighbourhood but one of the realtors was quite evasive when we asked and said the areas close to JC Heights are quite developed - what did she mean by that?

We are hoping to get a two-bedroom with a price range up to $2200, I thought this was reasonable as long as I didn't set my sights on one of the riverside apartments. The first apartment we saw was lovely but only a one-bed, had a roof deck (downtown). The second was uptown and huge but railroad - the middle rooms were very dingy due to lack of windows. The third was a small modern apartment downtown and a few blocks from the main street (being the most expensive at $2100).

I was hoping to get a place in a renovated older building but not railroad - is this possible with my price range?

Another possible issue was when seeing the uptown apartment, two doors away there were a few older ladies sat by the door. They smiled at the estate agent but gave me and my husband "evils". We're British-Indians - is racism going to be a problem for us in Hoboken?
welcome to BE - the Mrs and I lived in Hoboken 2004-5 and enjoyed it. We rented a two bed apartment with garden and deck near the south end of Bloomfield Street in an older building for $2100 per month but I can't imagine you'd get anything comparable for the same money five years later.

Hoboken is pretty safe but we were always told that the south western corner of the town could be iffy - around the bottom end of Harrison/Jackson/Monroe Streets, in the area bordering Jersey City (JC). Jersey City has a lot more crime overall, but for some reason it never seems to spill over into neighbouring Hoboken. We never felt unsafe while we were there. The only crime we directly experienced was somebody vandalized our car (broke the wing mirror off) but that was it.

Hoboken was traditionally a working class Italian/German area, and quite a lot of the population still have those roots (and you might find there's a couple of racist old gits wherever you go), but Hoboken is more multicutural these days since it has a college (Stevens Institute) and has increasingly become home for young professionals who see it as a cheaper alternative to New York. I used to play football in the Hoboken Adult Soccer League and that was pretty diverse ethnically.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 6:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

Have a search for posts by Englishmum as she's posted loads of great info about the area in the past
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by elfman
welcome to BE - the Mrs and I lived in Hoboken 2004-5 and enjoyed it. We rented a two bed apartment with garden and deck near the south end of Bloomfield Street in an older building for $2100 per month but I can't imagine you'd get anything comparable for the same money five years later.

Hoboken is pretty safe but we were always told that the south western corner of the town could be iffy - around the bottom end of Harrison/Jackson/Monroe Streets, in the area bordering Jersey City (JC). Jersey City has a lot more crime overall, but for some reason it never seems to spill over into neighbouring Hoboken. We never felt unsafe while we were there. The only crime we directly experienced was somebody vandalized our car (broke the wing mirror off) but that was it.

Hoboken was traditionally a working class Italian/German area, and quite a lot of the population still have those roots (and you might find there's a couple of racist old gits wherever you go), but Hoboken is more multicutural these days since it has a college (Stevens Institute) and has increasingly become home for young professionals who see it as a cheaper alternative to New York. I used to play football in the Hoboken Adult Soccer League and that was pretty diverse ethnically.
Thanks for the post, very informative.

I've been brought up in the school of "rent is throwing away your money" hence being so tight regarding the limit of $2200. I guess we have to see if that will get us anything half decent.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:54 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Moving to Hoboken - advice please...

As Bob mentioned, if you use the search facility I have written about Hoboken in the past so you can find my comments there, don't want to repeat it all over again!

I have friends who live in Garden St, Hoboken (a couple of streets behind the main Washington St)....lucky for them in a rent-controlled flat. From what they've told me, whatever you do *don't* live in Jersey City Heights.....it's a dangerous, crime ridden place, drug dealing, stabbings etc.

Personally I'm not keen on Jersey City, it doesn't have the vibe of Hoboken, and as a woman I wouldn't feel quite so safe at night walking from the PATH station on my own but no such qualms about busier Hoboken. Personally speaking, for quality of life I would certainly choose Hoboken over JC.

Two of my favourite eating places are on Washington St....the wonderful La Isla, a tiny Cuban restaurant which is always packed:

http://www.laislarestaurant.com/ (v. inexpensive, food is divine!)

and Amanda's

http://www.amandasrestaurant.com/ (they do amazing 'early bird' specials)

Hope you find somewhere....have you tried Craigslist?

for example:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/abo/1398443024.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/abo/1398437472.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/abo/1398433176.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/abo/1398445980.html
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Englishmum - I have looked at some of your previous posts, one of which took me to craigslist. There seem to be loads of apartments available now so hopefully we will also have a large number of places to chose from when we move over.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

THFC1 will become famous soon enoughTHFC1 will become famous soon enough

I've lived in Hoboken since 2004 and Elfman's post pretty much sums it up. It is a very diverse town with many expats. My wife and I have never felt unsafe but I would avoid the SW corner near the projects. It's also a long walk to the Path from there too. The downtown area (near the Path train) is busier with more bars etc and is usually a younger crowd. Uptown (10th street +) is quieter.

Rents have come down significantly in the last year. You should be able to get a 2 bed in an older building for around $1,800 and in a newer 'luxury' building for $2,200. As it is a renters market, many landlords are paying the realtor's fee (1 month rent) so drop in a few of the realtors on Washington St and ask for their no fee apartments.

Good luck
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:35 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
From what they've told me, whatever you do *don't* live in Jersey City Heights.....it's a dangerous, crime ridden place, drug dealing, stabbings etc.
Jersey City Heights is the only place I personally have ever seen someone out on the street with a gun tucked into the top of their jeans.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:46 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Moving to Hoboken - advice please...

Originally Posted by neil
Jersey City Heights is the only place I personally have ever seen someone out on the street with a gun tucked into the top of their jeans.
My friend who lives in Hoboken is a contractor and called into the Home Depot in JC/Newport area to buy some parts. He couldn't believe what he was seeing....very aggressive looking men openly shoplifting, taking stuff away in the shopping trolleys in full view of the the shop staff!

It was apparent that the shop staff were scared stiff of the men who probably lived locally (as was my friend who didn't dare challenge them in case they had knives or guns...!)

On the other hand.....has anyone been to Camden, NJ? It's one of the most dangerous cities in the USA. Believe it or not a few years ago I took my daughter and her boyfriend to see the band Radiohead at the Tweeter Center in Camden. I couldn't get a ticket so spent the evening reading my book at a MacDonalds in Camden....it wasn't a pleasant experience for sure and I had absolutely no idea about the reputation that Camden has...!
Old Oct 1st 2009, 3:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hd44

I've been brought up in the school of "rent is throwing away your money" hence being so tight regarding the limit of $2200. I guess we have to see if that will get us anything half decent.
I wouldn't be worried about that, renting can be much cheaper than buying because of the property tax etc.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:38 pm

Post Re: Moving to Hoboken - advice please...

Originally Posted by Bob
I wouldn't be worried about that, renting can be much cheaper than buying because of the property tax etc.
Absolutely! My housing tax where we live is considered 'cheap' at just under $14k per year!

In the US the landlord pays for the 'council tax' unlike in England where the tenant is responsible for this. Also in an apartment complex there are extra fees for maintainance (eg. cleaning the common entrance area, perhaps for the lift, sometimes even a concierge) which the landlord would also have to pay. Rents are coming down.....but taxes aren't, they always seem to go up!

I have a friend who lives at the Galaxy apartment complex just up the road from Hoboken (in East Guttenberg, also an easy commute to NYC) and as she is buying it her housing tax is more than $20,000 per year...! However...she does have use of an indoor and outside swimming pool, mini-mart, shuttle bus and fabulous views across the river to NYC midtown etc.

http://www.riverfrontrealty.com/GalaxyIntro.htm

(no idea what rents are, might be worth the O/P checking it out)
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

EnderWiggin is an unknown quantity at this point

HI:

My husband and I lived in Hoboken for 10 years and Loved it. We moved out for a house and yard. So here is my bit of advice:

1. Racism is not an issue, don't worry.

2. I would look for a place at the Shipyard - we lived there for almost 10 years. It is in north Hoboken. We had a very large 2 bedroom for 3,000/mo. but with the current economy you should find something in your price range. Your rent includes (residents only) a gym, children's play area, and a swimming pool (outdoor) with a large lawn. They also have parking for residents - for an additional fee. You will never find street parking. The area is nicely manicured with lawns and flowers.

3. These apartments are on the water (hudson river) and a ferry service is directly in front of the apartments. The ferry takes you to NYC at 34th street. Where there are specific ferry busses (not NYC buses!) which take you almost everywhere in NYC. The bus fees are included in the ferry cost. This is a great alternative to the subway (tube). Very safe.

4. I had a very lovely 1/2 hour commute (door to door) which is really unheard of. And in the summer the sunset and fresh air of the Ferry is heaven compared to the heat and stench of some subways (tubes).

5. Also north Hoboken is a slightly older crowd. South Hoboken - near the subway is known for being a college crowd - which isn't bad - but the quality of the restaurants and bars cater to that age group. North Hoboken has excellent restaurants (Madison is a 3 minute walk) and a great upscale grocery store - Kings - and an expertly curated wine/liquor store all with in the shipyard.

6. Negatives - the schools in Hoboken are very poor. So poor that when we were there the state government was about to take them over. We left when the oldest was 7 (private school can run $30,000/ yr. and up)

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

I took a walk round the new waterfront high rises, which are walking distance from Hoboken, at the weekend. They have a "new built" feel but are really handy for Manhattan. A lot of the families living there were Indian and Asian.

The PATH train costs less than a NY subway ride - 1.75 will get you to Manhattan in ten mins.

The light rail is fast and efficient, but some of the neighbourhoods looked dodgy. There is even a large trailer park at the end of the line, Tournelle (sp?) Av!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.