Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving The Goalposts

Moving The Goalposts

Old Dec 3rd 2006, 5:09 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving The Goalposts

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Thank you all for some really useful advice. 20 bucks is cheap for this time of year in, yes, Michigan, but if I dont have to pay it then I wont. Rent is 6 ton a month as it is. By god, you could get a place in Castlefield, Manchester for that ha ha. Cheers BE folk!
So what are you going to do? You going to tell them to naff orf? Or negotiate a new contract? Just being nosey. Nighty-night!
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 5:14 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
So what are you going to do? You going to tell them to naff orf? Or negotiate a new contract? Just being nosey. Nighty-night!
Naa Maz, we aint gonna quibble over 20 smackers, it is a nice apartment complex in a nice hood so 20 is fair enough, but we signed a lease so I was just curious really. We aint gonna go head to head with them over it. We could be living on the Northside ha ha. To pay or not to pay, that is the question........)
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:59 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Naa Maz, we aint gonna quibble over 20 smackers, it is a nice apartment complex in a nice hood so 20 is fair enough, but we signed a lease so I was just curious really. We aint gonna go head to head with them over it. We could be living on the Northside ha ha. To pay or not to pay, that is the question........)
Job done then.......... Don't forget the wheel barrow full of pennies.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:37 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Just got around to digging out our lease agreement and, yes, they can charge us for the heating - swine!!! Oh well, 20 a month aint all that, and we will defo get out moneys worth. From now on the heating is on 24/7 and the patio doors will be open during all snowstorms. Sounds petty I know but not as petty as when I do what Rodders suggested and pay them in pennies ha ha ha
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:37 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Just got around to digging out our lease agreement and, yes, they can charge us for the heating - swine!!! Oh well, 20 a month aint all that, and we will defo get out moneys worth. From now on the heating is on 24/7 and the patio doors will be open during all snowstorms. Sounds petty I know but not as petty as when I do what Rodders suggested and pay them in pennies ha ha ha
bearing in mind my monthly heating bill is $350 a month in tennessee (me and wife) I think $20 is a negligible amount of money for heating where you live (or anwhere for that matter)

thats half the prob wth some apartment complexes - no individual meters.

tenants and landlords can both get screwed...
Old Dec 4th 2006, 3:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
bearing in mind my monthly heating bill is $350 a month in tennessee (me and wife) I think $20 is a negligible amount of money for heating where you live (or anwhere for that matter)

ain't the tenants fault though that the landlord hasn't stuck a furnace/oil tank per apartment though is it, so if they can't determine who use's what, they need to incorporate it into the cost of rent....it's there risk of having a long term contract.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 3:51 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
ain't the tenants fault though that the landlord hasn't stuck a furnace/oil tank per apartment though is it, so if they can't determine who use's what, they need to incorporate it into the cost of rent....it's there risk of having a long term contract.

Oh yeah, I know, its the landlords/builders fault for not installing individual, i just have no idea why they don;t do it...
Old Dec 4th 2006, 4:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... i just have no idea why they don;t do it...
tight wads, probably....less furnaces to maintain and all that..
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:40 pm
Bugger Off!

I agree that 20 dollars a month sin't much to pay, just wondered if we were obliged to. Having read the contract carefuly we are. Can't help wondering what next though, will it rise again? Maybe they will start charging for water and trash, who knows. I don't think it is to do with the price of gas or anything else though, I think it is because the complex has changed hands and the new owners are making a 'fast buck' as they say here.