Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving The Goalposts

Moving The Goalposts

Old Dec 1st 2006, 10:45 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving The Goalposts

My wife and I rented our apartment for 1 year in September. The complex has since changed hands and now they are telling us that from January we will have to pay 20 dollars a month for gas/heating. Of course, one of the reasons, apart from location etc, for choosing this apartment was that heatng was in with the rent.
Does anybody have any experience with this kind of thing? I sorta think we shouldn't have to pay it until we renew our lease, assuming we haven't bought a house by then of course. Any thoughts?
Old Dec 1st 2006, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving The Goalposts

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
My wife and I rented our apartment for 1 year in September. The complex has since changed hands and now they are telling us that from January we will have to pay 20 dollars a month for gas/heating. Of course, one of the reasons, apart from location etc, for choosing this apartment was that heatng was in with the rent.
Does anybody have any experience with this kind of thing? I sorta think we shouldn't have to pay it until we renew our lease, assuming we haven't bought a house by then of course. Any thoughts?
yep for sure i'd approach the new management company and let them know you may be a silly sod by name but not by nature and see what they come up with....good luck
Old Dec 1st 2006, 11:10 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yep for sure i'd approach the new management company and let them know you may be a silly sod by name but not by nature and see what they come up with....good luck
I'll need it knowing this country ha ha. They prolly have a clause in there that says I may have to go fight in Iraq if the company changes hands or something. Buit I will see what they say. It seems like they will be in breach of contract if they try to enforce it. Not that 20 dollars a month is a lot to pay but it is the principle of the thing.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 11:26 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Wooaaaaahhhh Fella. Read your lease very carefully, you may not have to pay it. If it is written into the lease that heating is included in the cost, they must wait until the lease expires before they can apply any extra charges.

A rental lease is a legally binding contract that protects both parties, that's why it exists in a rental property. It can't be changed by anyone without both parties agreeing. If someone buys a property that has legally binding contracts, they must honour those contracts for the signed duration.

If your lease has expired there is nothing you can do I am afraid, but if you are still under contract. You can tell them to kiss your arse (legally). They can kiss my skinny, hairy, spotty, tattooed arse as well.

Check this out.

www.rentlaw.com
Old Dec 1st 2006, 11:36 pm
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
Wooaaaaahhhh Fella. Read your lease very carefully, you may not have to pay it. If it is written into the lease that heating is included in the cost, they must wait until the lease expires before they can apply any extra charges.

A rental lease is a legally binding contract that protects both parties, that's why it exists in a rental property. It can't be changed by anyone without both parties agreeing. If someone buys a property that has legally binding contracts, they must honour those contracts for the signed duration.

If your lease has expired there is nothing you can do I am afraid, but if you are still under contract. You can tell them to kiss your arse (legally). They can kiss my skinny, hairy, spotty, tattooed arse as well.

Check this out.

www.rentlaw.com
Thanks for that Rodders, this time next year they may well be miwwionaires ha ha - but not on my 20 bucks a month (if I can legally avoid it). Cheers for the link. Most helpful. I will take my contract to the hubble telescope for a gander at the fine print!!
Old Dec 1st 2006, 11:45 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Rodders, this time next year they may well be miwwionaires ha ha - but not on my 20 bucks a month (if I can legally avoid it). Cheers for the link. Most helpful. I will take my contract to the hubble telescope for a gander at the fine print!!
Nino problemo Silly

If you do have to pay the extra $20 a month. Be sure and give them it all in penny coins, make them count it, then demand a receipt, which is another thing they legally have to provide if you ask them for it.

Let me know how you make out.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 12:38 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Laws vary from state to state, and sometimes from locality to locality, but your rental agreement should speak to who is responsible for the various utilities. If your lease assigns this responsibility to landlord, then you shouldn't need to pay it.

Be sure to read the laws specific to your state. If your building is subject to a rent control ordinance, then you should read that municipality's law as well.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 1:55 am
Bugger Off!

Nino problemo Silly

If you do have to pay the extra $20 a month. Be sure and give them it all in penny coins, make them count it, then demand a receipt, which is another thing they legally have to provide if you ask them for it.

Let me know how you make out.
Nice one for that, pennies it is if it must be. And nice one to road warrior too. I will keep you informed. (Road warrior, is LP lower peninsula?)
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 2:24 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Road warrior, is LP lower peninsula?
No, the "LP" bit refers to my postings on the Lonely Planet travel website, where I learned about this place and wandered in because I was considering a relocation to the UK or Canada. (This site comes highly recommended over there, and there aren't many equally good sources for Yanks.) I just included it in my handle here just in case it might come in handy if someone recognized me because of it.

As it so happens, the one guy who went of his way to help me based upon that loose affiliation was banned from here, so now I'm just stuck with an awkward based in part on an inside joke that no one will get. Woe is me...

Do keep us informed. This is one area of business with which I am quite familiar, so feel free to follow up with any questions, if I can be of help.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 4:58 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I think the fact it has changed hands may give them the ability to kick you out or accept their new terms

All my leases (and properties I have bought with leases existing) have a kick out clause for change of ownership
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 5:00 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

found an extract from a lease

. In the event this building is sold, the new owner or tenant may, at either party's discretion, cancel this lease with a 30-day notice.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 5:52 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I'll swap you my $300 heating bill for your $20 one...

I was looking into this when my son was renting...the new owners did not sign the contract with you...so you may have to pay up...the info is easy enough to find on line for your State...I'm just glad my son is no longer renting the place he was...if I'd had my way I would of called in the health people and buggered up their sell for 6 months....
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:49 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Nice one for that, pennies it is if it must be. And nice one to road warrior too. I will keep you informed. (Road warrior, is LP lower peninsula?)
What State, County and City are you located in???
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

What State, County and City are you located in???
Looks like he's in Michigan. $20 a month for heating this time of year is a bargain! However, quite right, I'd also be going over the lease with a fine tooth comb, the ripping b'stards. If I had to pay it, I'd make sure I got my $20 worth, and then some
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 5:06 am
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by Dan725
Looks like he's in Michigan. $20 a month for heating this time of year is a bargain! However, quite right, I'd also be going over the lease with a fine tooth comb, the ripping b'stards. If I had to pay it, I'd make sure I got my $20 worth, and then some
Thank you all for some really useful advice. 20 bucks is cheap for this time of year in, yes, Michigan, but if I dont have to pay it then I wont. Rent is 6 ton a month as it is. By god, you could get a place in Castlefield, Manchester for that ha ha. Cheers BE folk!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.