Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from Glasgow, Scotland to Charleston SC

Moving from Glasgow, Scotland to Charleston SC

Old Dec 31st 2019, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Glasgow, Scotland to Charleston SC

My Health Insurance comes out around $600 a month for a family of four including dental and eye care. That's with a $1.5k deductible and $3.5k max out of pocket. We had a lower plan the first year we were here (monthly) and ended up with one child visiting A&E and the other needing an "elective" surgery so we maxed out the $7.5k for the family on that one! The A&E bills were eye watering - think we stumped up $2.5k in the end, to be told our daughter had fainted and to keep an eye on her (she'd hit her head on the way down and complained of pains in her arms and chest, so the advice was to get her in).
Old Dec 31st 2019, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on circumstances a highly deductible plan may be a good option.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 6:16 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

opening a bank account - the issue is always providing them with the documentation they require. Different banks have different requirements. Bank of America/Wells Fargo/Advancial credit union are ones that will open an account with just primary ID (passport/Driver's license) secondary ID ( existing credit/debit card), a local address ( doesn't have to be documented) and $25-$100 cash. Chase is almost impossible for a new arrival, it's unusual for a new arrival to have the documentation they need. You can always open an account as soon as you arrive with the 3 I mentioned and then change 6 months later once you've got yourself a bit more established.
Social Security number, I would always recommend going to the office over getting it delivered by ticking the box. IME, it's 7-14 days if you go to the office.
Schools - your address will determine the school. Go to the school district website where they probably have a bus/route finder, put in the address to find out which are the allocated schools for the address. Go to the school website and look under "registration" or "enrollment" to see which documents are required. NB. Proabaly FULL (not abbreviated) birth certificates for the kids. Will need proof of address - get renter's insurance if nothing else available as this is about $20 a month and will give you proof of address. Vaccinations - https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/vaccines-age.html you 're probably going to need to get Hep B done. Most public (not private) schools are strict on vaccinations but you've probably had to get them all done anyway for the visa.
Medical Insurance - there are always horror stories but since you have to take whatever your employer offers, then that is something that you need to investigate before accepting any job. From what I've seen, tech companies offer good insurance. To be on the safe side for the first year I'd opt for a low deductible/higher premium so that you don't get any unexpected bills, especially with 4 kids! As you get used to the system and recover somewhat from the financial pain of moving, you can switch over to a high deductible plan.

Driver's license. Doesn't seem too tricky. You will have to provide documents listed on this page International Customers and go to one of the 21 offices able to handle international customers. Looks like you'll be applying for a beginners permit btw...
Old Dec 31st 2019, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendan.torrance

1 with a $980/year family deductible and $380/month premium,
Who is this plan with? It sounds much too good to be true. Especially if those costs are for a whole family of 6. There are not 6 of us but we pay a little over $400 a month in premiums and the annual deductible for the family is $5000. I am aware this is not the best but it’s affordable to us and has worked reasonably well for the things we have faced, health wise.
Old Jan 1st 2020, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah,

mount pleasant is really nice, l just could not deal with the traffic on that bridge every day lol

My parents live in Summerville, such a lovely little part of town, the history is fantastic.

l believe my dad uses the DMV in Leeds Avenue, would need to check, he is a citizen now.

a few of the responses regarding medical has me a little worried, do you have a rough figure you pay for your family medical..??

thanks
brendan
I work in downtown Charleston and my husband works on Daniel Island so both of us have to deal with busy bridges to get to and from work but we are used to it now.
We have health insurance through my husband's company and luckily he has really good coverage. I work for a hospital and could get equally good coverage for us if we wanted to switch. I can't recall how much it would be for the 4 of us. I think around $300 a paycheck, but I could be wrong.
Old Jan 1st 2020, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I work in downtown Charleston and my husband works on Daniel Island so both of us have to deal with busy bridges to get to and from work but we are used to it now.
We have health insurance through my husband's company and luckily he has really good coverage. I work for a hospital and could get equally good coverage for us if we wanted to switch. I can't recall how much it would be for the 4 of us. I think around $300 a paycheck, but I could be wrong.

What does 'a paycheck' mean?. Does your husband get one paycheck a month (so $300 a month for health insurance) or does he get 2 paychecks a month (so $600 a month for insurance). ?

Saying 'a paycheck' can be so misleading regarding monthly costs.
Old Jan 1st 2020, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What does 'a paycheck' mean?. Does your husband get one paycheck a month (so $300 a month for health insurance) or does he get 2 paychecks a month (so $600 a month for insurance). ?

Saying 'a paycheck' can be so misleading regarding monthly costs.
My husband gets paid biweekly so he usually gets 2 paychecks a month. The $300 I referenced was in regards to how much I would pay if I were to have the health insurance plan for the 4 of us. I have no idea how much my husband pays.

I said 'paycheck' because that is what I am used to it being referred to as I have lived here for a decade. Apologies if anyone found it misleading.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I said 'paycheck' because that is what I am used to it being referred to as I have lived here for a decade. Apologies if anyone found it misleading.
It’s not the terminology that’s confusing (I call them paychecks too), but that different people have different pay cycles and sometimes the states themselves enforce it - I get paid twice a month here in Texas, but I have collages at the same company elsewhere in the US that get paid once a month.

I don’t think she was having a go at you, it’s just that it’s hard to know what you’re really paying without knowing the frequency of each paycheck.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot

It’s not the terminology that’s confusing (I call them paychecks too), but that different people have different pay cycles and sometimes the states themselves enforce it - I get paid twice a month here in Texas, but I have collages at the same company elsewhere in the US that get paid once a month.

I don’t think she was having a go at you, it’s just that it’s hard to know what you’re really paying without knowing the frequency of each paycheck.
Also a lot of people get a paycheck each week or each fortnight, so the premium needs to be stated as so much per.. whatever the period is.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot

Correct ... not having a go at all..... just trying to get folks to give accurate information as to what they pay for insurance on a monthly basis so the original OP has a good idea of what his expenses might be.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Scottish_Lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
opening a bank account - the issue is always providing them with the documentation they require. Different banks have different requirements. Bank of America/Wells Fargo/Advancial credit union are ones that will open an account with just primary ID (passport/Driver's license) secondary ID ( existing credit/debit card), a local address ( doesn't have to be documented) and $25-$100 cash. Chase is almost impossible for a new arrival, it's unusual for a new arrival to have the documentation they need. You can always open an account as soon as you arrive with the 3 I mentioned and then change 6 months later once you've got yourself a bit more established.
Social Security number, I would always recommend going to the office over getting it delivered by ticking the box. IME, it's 7-14 days if you go to the office.
Schools - your address will determine the school. Go to the school district website where they probably have a bus/route finder, put in the address to find out which are the allocated schools for the address. Go to the school website and look under "registration" or "enrollment" to see which documents are required. NB. Proabaly FULL (not abbreviated) birth certificates for the kids. Will need proof of address - get renter's insurance if nothing else available as this is about $20 a month and will give you proof of address. Vaccinations - https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/vaccines-age.html you 're probably going to need to get Hep B done. Most public (not private) schools are strict on vaccinations but you've probably had to get them all done anyway for the visa.
Medical Insurance - there are always horror stories but since you have to take whatever your employer offers, then that is something that you need to investigate before accepting any job. From what I've seen, tech companies offer good insurance. To be on the safe side for the first year I'd opt for a low deductible/higher premium so that you don't get any unexpected bills, especially with 4 kids! As you get used to the system and recover somewhat from the financial pain of moving, you can switch over to a high deductible plan.

Driver's license. Doesn't seem too tricky. You will have to provide documents listed on this page International Customers and go to one of the 21 offices able to handle international customers. Looks like you'll be applying for a beginners permit btw...

Thank you very much for the detailed response, this what l was looking for and you have really helped..!

Brendan
Old Jan 7th 2020, 3:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

... you actually have me pretty worried about this situation with medical, there can be no way all the families over there have to pay $2k month for health care, some people won’t even make that per month...
Oh yes there can, though most people get heavily subsidized by their employer.

Of course some people (even today, tens of millions of US residents) just remain uninsured, and others buy discount polices that cover them if they have huge bills .... a "good" discount policy is, as Tom said above, a "high deductible" policy, and then you would have a Health Savings Account linked to that. Other people, on low income, may have a cheap policy and no HSA and barring a health crisis, such as a heart attack or cancer, effectively have "no insurance", and no funds to pay for basic healthcare, such as a basic visit to a doctor. Hence demand for things like "minute clinics" that pharmacies offer.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Scottish_Lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Oh yes there can, though most people get heavily subsidized by their employer.

Of course some people (even today, tens of millions of US residents) just remain uninsured, and others buy discount polices that cover them if they have huge bills .... a "good" discount policy is, as Tom said above, a "high deductible" policy, and then you would have a Health Savings Account linked to that. Other people, on low income, may have a cheap policy and no HSA and barring a health crisis, such as a heart attack or cancer, effectively have "no insurance", and no funds to pay for basic healthcare, such as a basic visit to a doctor. Hence demand for things like "minute clinics" that pharmacies offer.

Hi,

so l have been reading about the HSA, l think that’s a very good option, l will be looking into that when we can narrow this down, thanks 😊
Old Jan 7th 2020, 5:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

so l have been reading about the HSA, l think that’s a very good option, l will be looking into that when we can narrow this down, thanks 😊
Well it's something offered or not by employer, so there's not much to narrow down really.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 6:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well it's something offered or not by employer, so there's not much to narrow down really.
Typically employers will give you a choice between "traditional" health insurance or High Deductible insurance, not always, but usually, and the push seems to be towards encouraging people towards taking HD insurance as a good part of the cost of traditional insurance (small claims for GP consultations and out-patient treatment) is picked up by the employer, so the company benefits if the employee picks up the small claims, until the deductible is reached.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.