Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from Glasgow, Scotland to Charleston SC

Moving from Glasgow, Scotland to Charleston SC

Old Dec 30th 2019, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Glasgow, Scotland to Charleston SC

Originally Posted by brendan.torrance

my mum works for Best Buy as a manager, she pays $93 a paycheck, if the few grand you meaning is per year, that’s fine, l was actually thinking $500/month..?

..... for 6 people ?

Kaiser Foundation came up with the following figures for Nov 2018Employers Pay 82 Percent of Health Insurance for Single Coverage

In 2018, the average company-provided health insurance policy totaled $6,896 a year for single coverage. On average, employers paid 82 percent of the premium, or $5,655 a year. Employees paid the remaining 18 percent, or $1,241 a year.

For family coverage, the average policy totaled $19,616 a year with employers contributing, on average, 71 percent, or $13,927. Employees paid the remaining 29 percent or $5,689 a year.

Sorry, but if you are budgeting 500 per month to cover 6 people I think you are going to have a nasty surprise.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Dec 30th 2019 at 9:58 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot

Again, it’s meaningless without knowing the full details of the deductibles and co-pays.

I pay very little (think $40ish) a paycheck for my PPO and have an annual deductible that’s only a few hundred a year, but that’s considered to be very good group insurance.

On the other hand I personally know people who are paying hundreds of dollars a month in premiums and still have a deductible of several thousand dollars a year, plus co-pays for hospital and GP visits that are multiples of what I pay.

You really cannot just go on the premium alone, as people will be paying vastly different amounts for incomparable levels of coverage.

Honestly it’s not the premium that kills you, but the deductibles and co-pays.
In British speak, deductible = excess.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Scottish_Lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
..... for 6 people ?

Kaiser Foundation came up with the following figures for Nov 2018Employers Pay 82 Percent of Health Insurance for Single Coverage

In 2018, the average company-provided health insurance policy totaled $6,896 a year for single coverage. On average, employers paid 82 percent of the premium, or $5,655 a year. Employees paid the remaining 18 percent, or $1,241 a year.

For family coverage, the average policy totaled $19,616 a year with employers contributing, on average, 71 percent, or $13,927. Employees paid the remaining 29 percent or $5,689 a year.

Sorry, but if you are budgeting 500 per month to cover 6 people I think you are going to have a nasty surprise.

maybe I’m reading this wrong but $5689 / 12 = $474

i know you then have deductibles etc, but that’s only if you need care, l found a great policy online the that compares 2 plan, 1 with a $980/year family deductible and $380/month premium, the other saver plans was only $113/month family plan with $7200/year deductible,

you actually have me pretty worried about this situation with medical, there can be no way all the families over there have to pay $2k month for health care, some people won’t even make that per month...
Old Dec 30th 2019, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some qualify for subsidies certainly a family of 6 earning $2k would be on Medicaid anyway.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I figure a couple of your points need comment.
Originally Posted by notaclue
For drivers licensing you'll most likely need to go to the local STATE BMV office to give them a copy of your passport etc which will tick a box in the state system. You'll then go to the local COUNTY BMV to get a license. You won't get reciprocity, but taking the test over here is easy.
Is this based on your experience in Kentucky? I've never heard of such a thing, and it looks like there aren't separate county and state DMV offices in South Carolina. For info, this seems to be the page for new immigrants in SC: International Customers

Bank accounts are easy. I recommend Huntington for a bank. You will have to pay for cash withdrawals at most banks and there aren't ATM's on every street corner. It's not Argyle Street. You will need to provide the bank your passport/immigration docs as part of the Patriot Act or they will freeze your accounts pretty quickly until you provide it.
Probably worth pointing out that some banks are better than others for being willing to open even non-interest-bearing accounts for new immigrants. In addition, many US banks are regional only, and Huntington are an example that do not have branches in South Carolina. This is the JDPower survey I usually give to people who ask about which bank to use, SC is in the Southeast region: https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...sfaction-study
Old Dec 30th 2019, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Owen778
I figure a couple of your points need comment.

Is this based on your experience in Kentucky? I've never heard of such a thing, and it looks like there aren't separate county and state DMV offices in South Carolina. For info, this seems to be the page for new immigrants in SC: International Customers

Probably worth pointing out that some banks are better than others for being willing to open even non-interest-bearing accounts for new immigrants. In addition, many US banks are regional only, and Huntington are an example that do not have branches in South Carolina. This is the JDPower survey I usually give to people who ask about which bank to use, SC is in the Southeast region: https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...sfaction-study

thank you
Old Dec 31st 2019, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Not much to add in response to some of your questions, however, I just wanted to say hello. I am a fellow Scot. I am from Edinburgh originally and have been in Mount Pleasant (next to Charleston) since 2012. My kids are 14 and 16.
One thing to mention, which you may already know due to your parents living here, is you will only have 2 DMVs to go to for drivers license as they are not all capable of dealing with foreigners. Leeds Avenue is the one I usually go to, but I believe a new one has opened in West Ashley recently and they will have staff trained to deal with people on visas and green cards. Charleston County School District is one of the better ones in the state, but some schools are a LOT better than others. (This is why we chose Mount Pleasant to move to rather than some other places)
Old Dec 31st 2019, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

maybe I’m reading this wrong but $5689 / 12 = $474

i know you then have deductibles etc, but that’s only if you need care, l found a great policy online the that compares 2 plan, 1 with a $980/year family deductible and $380/month premium, the other saver plans was only $113/month family plan with $7200/year deductible,

you actually have me pretty worried about this situation with medical, there can be no way all the families over there have to pay $2k month for health care, some people won’t even make that per month...
No I'm sure that not all families pay up to 2k per month on premiums..... however, based on what your prospective company's health insurance package is like, I think that $500 per month for premiums for a family of 6 could be on the very low side. Even if not, unless your family is super healthy and fit and never visit the doctor, you should be budgeting for additional deductibles and co-pays etc

What online plans are you looking at?
Old Dec 31st 2019, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Can’t help with many of the questions but the embassies are now “cracking down” on the health insurance side of things. There have been cases lately where immigrant visas have been denied as the applicants could not satisfy the CO at interview that they will have sufficient coverage or the liquid funds to pay upfront for medical expenses until an employer-based plan kicks in. The public charge issue has always officially been in place but more attention is being paid to it now. I assume you have sufficient savings that you are bringing with you to cover this? Or do you have a job lined up that you will step right into?
Old Dec 31st 2019, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steph0scope
Can’t help with many of the questions but the embassies are now “cracking down” on the health insurance side of things. There have been cases lately where immigrant visas have been denied as the applicants could not satisfy the CO at interview that they will have sufficient coverage or the liquid funds to pay upfront for medical expenses until an employer-based plan kicks in. The public charge issue has always officially been in place but more attention is being paid to it now. I assume you have sufficient savings that you are bringing with you to cover this? Or do you have a job lined up that you will step right into?
Hi,

I have already looked at shirt term health plan’s that would tide us over until we gain employment, also yes we will have sufficient savings should the worst happen, ty
Old Dec 31st 2019, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SarahG
Not much to add in response to some of your questions, however, I just wanted to say hello. I am a fellow Scot. I am from Edinburgh originally and have been in Mount Pleasant (next to Charleston) since 2012. My kids are 14 and 16.
One thing to mention, which you may already know due to your parents living here, is you will only have 2 DMVs to go to for drivers license as they are not all capable of dealing with foreigners. Leeds Avenue is the one I usually go to, but I believe a new one has opened in West Ashley recently and they will have staff trained to deal with people on visas and green cards. Charleston County School District is one of the better ones in the state, but some schools are a LOT better than others. (This is why we chose Mount Pleasant to move to rather than some other places)
Hi Sarah,

mount pleasant is really nice, l just could not deal with the traffic on that bridge every day lol

My parents live in Summerville, such a lovely little part of town, the history is fantastic.

l believe my dad uses the DMV in Leeds Avenue, would need to check, he is a citizen now.

a few of the responses regarding medical has me a little worried, do you have a rough figure you pay for your family medical..??

thanks
brendan
Old Dec 31st 2019, 11:22 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

also yes we will have sufficient savings should the worst happen,
That statement by itself shows you don't have a clue.

Let's say you are all in the car, and a deer runs out. You swerve to avoid it and hit a tree. 5 of you are fine, minor whiplash and cuts and bruises, but the 1 is seriously injured and requires a LifeFlight to an ICU and are then in the ICU for a week, requiring several surgeries.

That treatment could easily cost a million $$$ if you are uninsured.

In the US, you NEVER have enough savings to cover all eventualities when it comes to healthcare I'm afraid.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Closing the thread, some of you have been very helpful and ty for that, however some of you have been extremely unhelpful...!

when I said we would have enough savings, l mean to run to the A&E because 1 of the kids had broke an arm or something, not major surgery involving a weeks stay in the ICU...!

at that point if someone was in the verge of death l don’t think l would really care about money.

Old Dec 31st 2019, 3:29 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Closing the thread, some of you have been very helpful and ty for that, however some of you have been extremely unhelpful...!
Nice. You don't get to determine how someone responds to you on a public forum. Nor does your statement 'closing the thread' have any merit in actuality.

at that point if someone was in the verge of death l don’t think l would really care about money.
You will when you're forced into medical bankruptcy the way that thousands of people every year are in the US.

This is the difference between living in the US and being a tourist in the US. You don't know what you're getting into, you asked, and didn't like the answer. However if you choose to stick your head in the sand and not listen to the advice you have been given, that's your look out.

Good luck.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

when I said we would have enough savings, l mean to run to the A&E because 1 of the kids had broke an arm or something, not major surgery involving a weeks stay in the ICU...!

My health insurance is about $800 a month, does not cover regular eyecare or dental heath and has a hefty deductible, so much so that I consciously avoid the doctor whenever I can (eg self dressed a nail gun wound, as in framing nail in the joint of an index finger!) - a recent trip to the ER for a nasty bout of cramp would have set me back $24K without insurance, my insurers ended up stumping up less than $600 and I copped $2,400 in bills that came in dribs and drabs over the next six months, so don't assume that it's only major surgery that comes with a financial sting. The doctor was surprised that I didn't call for an ambulance, they seem to be oblivious to the fact that it would probably have cost me the equivalent of a large down payment on a house for a 20 mile ride.
The only thing that you can guarantee about health insurance is that the insurers are making money.
The best bet is to make sure that you end up with an employer that offers health insurance, the larger the firm the better their health plans are likely to be (I'm on my wife's insurance plan through the county education board as my employer does not have a plan).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.