Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

MOVING TO GEORGIA

MOVING TO GEORGIA

Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

AllysonCross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MOVING TO GEORGIA

Hi, we are moving on July 1st and want to rent somewhere so we can have a look around before we decide where to buy. Can anyone tell me is it possible to rent for just 6 months? We have looked at the corporate stuff but we have cats and dogs, and teenage boys to house. Is the rental market that bouyant that people can turn down short term lets and wait until they get someone who wants a year? Not sure what to do as have contacted several realtors and no luck yet.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING TO GEORGIA

Originally Posted by AllysonCross
Can anyone tell me is it possible to rent for just 6 months?
Yes, but most places will want a year.

Is the rental market that bouyant that people can turn down short term lets and wait until they get someone who wants a year?
Some folks will sign on for a year and then just leave after 6 months. Some landlords will sue for breach of contract, but most won't bother.

Ian
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

craigslist and look for sublets?

Some places will let you have a 6 month lease and ask either for more rent or deposit, but it's all down to the owner, nothing to lose by asking.

Thing to consider though, the owner probably won't want to pay a months rent for a realtor to find another tenant in 6 months time, so perhaps offer to cover that cost to sweeten the deal?

And I've no idea about Georgia, but up around here, they don't like leaving a place empty during the winter months so around now will be really hard to find a short term rental but you'll have more luck towards the end of summer.
Old May 4th 2011, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Jhutchnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Some appartment complexes will allow you to go month-to-month.
I know the one I live at - people have the option of staying for 6mths - but is always cheaper to go for 1 year.
Old May 9th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea where Hubby will be working?
Atlanta is not small so what is available varies from area to area, plus id his compnay providing you with relocation assistance (many companies do if it is a transfer) they should know of short tem leasing companies, I know of corporate apartments (fully furnished down to knives and forks) around the Marietta area where I live that are rented on a monthly basis.
Old May 9th 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

You might do better searching the local craigslist listings and trying to go through a rental where the owner is handling it. Obviously you need to narrow down your area to do that.
Old May 9th 2011, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bevinva
You might do better searching the local craigslist listings and trying to go through a rental where the owner is handling it. Obviously you need to narrow down your area to do that.
Hi, yes I am keeping a daily eye on this, I know that agents have warned me off using craigslist, but I guess they would. I think we will end up offering a higher rent to be able to have a shorter term. The serviced apartments look great until we look at including our pets, and we can't really leave them behind. Hopefully something will come up soon.
Old May 9th 2011, 3:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes I am keeping a daily eye on this, I know that agents have warned me off using craigslist, but I guess they would. I think we will end up offering a higher rent to be able to have a shorter term. The serviced apartments look great until we look at including our pets, and we can't really leave them behind. Hopefully something will come up soon.
thing with craigslist, be careful and don't fall for stupid stories needing to wire money abroad...also you can ask for references from the landlord, it's a two way interview, you want to know they own the place and that they aren't going to default on the mortgage leaving you in the poo with your deposit
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

keeps is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i moved to Savannah GA almost three years ago, and you can rent from 3 months to as long as you like, the problem is, that the shorter the lease ...the higher the rent, and be very careful about where you rent too, some properties look great, and then you find the reason why they are so cheap! (it's usually that they are in a rough area) Craigslist has it's uses, but i wouldn't trust it to find a home at all, there are some genuine places to rent on there, but some are a total scam, and you don't need that kind of hassel, i suggest you contact a real estate office, or look online at rent.com or something similar, good luck, and stay positive, this is a beautiful place!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi, we found somewhere for 4 weeks as our house purchase completed and we were able to move into our new home, despite our furniture being weeks behind us! We are settled now and it is lovely here. Some things take some getting used to, but what can you expect, it is a different county after all!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

5 month old thread...just saying... :/
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
5 month old thread...just saying... :/
Maybe the thread is for keeps... I'll get me coat.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Hi, we found somewhere for 4 weeks as our house purchase completed and we were able to move into our new home, despite our furniture being weeks behind us! We are settled now and it is lovely here. Some things take some getting used to, but what can you expect, it is a different county after all!
ABSOLUTELY Allyson!! it is totally beautiful, (the food takes some getting used to though) and i cannot drink that sweet tea lol, although my hubby said i make it better than he does (but then he would...if he doesn't have to make it lol) well i hope you are setting well hun, keep in touch
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Maybe the thread is for keeps... I'll get me coat.
oh five months or five minutes does it matter??? obviously not seeing as we are still responding to each other wouldn't you say?
and LOL Geoff...