Reload this Page >

Moving to Fort Wayne, Indiana

Moving to Fort Wayne, Indiana

Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:40 pm
glc
Just Joined

glc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Fort Wayne, Indiana

My husband has been offered a job in Fort Wayne Indiana and we are looking to move there within the next 3 months. I briefly visited the area (North Allen County) a few weeks ago to look at areas, schools, etc, and was very impressed. Any advice about the relocation process would be useful, nice areas, good schools, where to buy a car, furniture, etc.

Thanks
Old Jan 1st 2011, 8:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Fort Wayne, Indiana

This is a guide for those bound for Australia, most of it is applicable to the USA:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Corpor...tion-Australia
Old Jan 1st 2011, 8:44 pm
glc
Just Joined

Cheers thanks for that information regarding relocation packages, really helpful.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 8:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Plus there's a Wiki article about relocation packages from the US section, which may be worth reading - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compan...on_Packages_US

Good luck with the move.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:38 pm
glc
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Plus there's a Wiki article about relocation packages from the US section, which may be worth reading - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compan...on_Packages_US

Good luck with the move.
Thanks for that, really helpful. Cheers, hope it all goes ok.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I live 45 mins from here

I don't have anything to recommend to you -sorry ...I would just like to welcome you to Indiana .

The zoo is fantastic ,we went with my son's K class last year .

PM if you need any ideas /help

Gabriella
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I asked about kids in the other thread, didn't notice you asked about schools here....well the ages would probably help because specific street would determine which schools they would go to.

You don't mention what visa he's getting, but it's worth reading up on those to learn about the restrictions they have and the like, especially if it's a H1.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:18 am
glc
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh, I asked about kids in the other thread, didn't notice you asked about schools here....well the ages would probably help because specific street would determine which schools they would go to.

You don't mention what visa he's getting, but it's worth reading up on those to learn about the restrictions they have and the like, especially if it's a H1.
My kids are 7 and 3. Not sure what visa he is getting, I didnt know there were different types so thats more useful information thanks.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I have a British friend who lives there with his American wife. If you PM me your email address, I can pass it on and ask that he chat with you (if he wants to, but he's usually very helpful). He doesn't post here.

You can certainly get a nice, large house there for not a lot of money! Seemed a nice enough place to me; good air connections (<1 hour) to ORD (Chicago's main airport) and a couple of other places; even a couple of Amtrak trains a day not far away. About 4-6 hours away from Chicago by car depending on traffic, I think he said.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glc
My kids are 7 and 3. Not sure what visa he is getting, I didnt know there were different types so thats more useful information thanks.
The visa type is fairly important, particularly with two young kids. Some of them of mean you wouldn't be able to work, and if it's only a temp visa, do you have any route to a greencard? Things to think about anyway.

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glc
Visa makes a huge difference...one will allow you to work as well, the other won't...and it affects the speed of getting a greencard, which is quite a big difference.

Also the H1B, if the last year quota ever was met, would mean the next start date wouldn't be till Oct after applying for the visa in April, the L1 visa is a company transfer.

Saying that, not sure if the H1B quota was ever filled this time around.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:14 am
glc
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Visa makes a huge difference...one will allow you to work as well, the other won't...and it affects the speed of getting a greencard, which is quite a big difference.

Also the H1B, if the last year quota ever was met, would mean the next start date wouldn't be till Oct after applying for the visa in April, the L1 visa is a company transfer.

Saying that, not sure if the H1B quota was ever filled this time around.
Its a company transfer so I think the visa is L1, they told me they would sort me out a work permit too so think all that will be sorted out. Thanks for advice.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by glc
Its a company transfer so I think the visa is L1, they told me they would sort me out a work permit too so think all that will be sorted out. Thanks for advice.
OK, next thing to check is if it's a L1A, or a L1B, and are they going to apply for a green card for you (unless this is just a temporary move of course)?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 1:56 pm
glc
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, next thing to check is if it's a L1A, or a L1B, and are they going to apply for a green card for you (unless this is just a temporary move of course)?
Its a permanent move, not sure about the different visas but I'm sure the company will sort all that out for us.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 2:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by glc
Its a permanent move, not sure about the different visas but I'm sure the company will sort all that out for us.
OK. An L1A/B will not be permanent, and depending on your husband's category it could be many, many years before you get green cards, so that's another thing to look in to.

If you are considering it a permanent move then you need to make sure that you get it written in to the contract that the company will apply for green cards for you by x date. Until you get green cards, your husband will be tied to them, and consequently companies are often reluctant to get you a green card.

Best not to just leave it up to the company, as they will often do whatever suits them, and not what suits you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.