Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Florida from London - A few Questions

Moving to Florida from London - A few Questions

Old Dec 16th 2014, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Florida from London - A few Questions

Do you own property that you may have to sell in relation to your move, or you may have rental income for example?

Also regarding Realtor jobs...during the last boom, earlier in the last decade, everybody and his dog got a license. So there's a lot of competition. It's fierce. Just be aware. Won't be easy street.

Last edited by Hotscot; Dec 16th 2014 at 2:44 am.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimFL
Thanks, I'll look into that.

I have very limited experience of US Taxes.

Any suggestions on somewhere good to read up about them?
As far as signing up for Selective Service, that is age 18-25 so you are too late for that. Not a big deal but you won't be eligible for some government jobs or loans.

Since you are not sponsoring someone to immigrate, you probably don't really have to file the tax returns unless the IRS asks about those years. Since you probably won't owe taxes, there won't be any penalty if you have file later.

The following forms are needed to file a tax return for a US citizen living abroad. Form 1040, 2555, and 1116 for each of the past three years with each year slightly different but all should be on the internet. Form 1040 is the main form, 2555 is to exclude $90K+ (amount depends on the year) foreign earned income from taxes, and 1116 is foreign tax credits for unearned income and/or earned income above $90K+.

Forms for 2013

Form 1040

Fprm 2555

Form 1116

Instructions for the forms can be found on the internet. If you have problems filling them in, you can contact the IRS at the London embassy for assistance.

Last edited by Michael; Dec 16th 2014 at 5:58 am.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

JimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hotscott - thanks for the advice, unfortunately no property to have to deal with, I broke up with an ex two years ago and sold the two bedroom flat we had together and ivr been in rented accommodation since then. I stupidly wasted any profit I made by visiting Tampa so many times in the past year, heck I didn't know I'd want to make the move permanent back then though.

Also, thanks Michael I really need to get to grips with US taxes and all your info/links are greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

JimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond reputeJimFL has a reputation beyond repute

I've been speaking with my friend Christian a lot today, he's pretty much calmed my worries that US employers aren't too meticulous in checking educational certificates which is great news!

Thanks everyone who's chipped in so far. I'm chuffed I've found this little online community of expats and hope to be an active member in the future.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't specifically know about Florida but I wouldn't rule out real estate. Yes a lot of mums do it, they are crap, so the full-time ones have more scope. You just need a licence which is a short course. A lot of it looks like money for old rope, to be honest.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sally!

Well, I've really had a productive day today jobwise.

My buddy Christian has referred me for a sales position at his insurance firm with full health care, three months training and license fees paid for also which sounds amazing. I'm in the process of applying now. Not long after another friend contacted me and told me his firm was also looking for people with skill sets similar to mine. Turns out that role is for an advertising sales position which I think I'd also suit .

Fingers crossed.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 8:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Without a degree, getting any job could be tough. It seems having a "in" by some kind of introduction helps the best.

Realtors license doesn't seem that difficult, everyone seems to have one. Having a network of contacts through having another job, parents PTA, professional associations, those things seem to help in drumming up sales. That and using a photo that's at minimum, 10 years old, even better if it's from the 80's.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

I mean I've finished what we call College in the UK and passed with good grades. Didn't graduate from University though, had to leave with one year to go and never got around to finishing.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 8:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I mean I've finished what we call College in the UK and passed with good grades. Didn't graduate from University though, had to leave with one year to go and never got around to finishing.
"College" US = "University" UK. A lot of even fairly humdrum jobs in the US require a degree these days.

You should look into getting transcripts for your studies in the UK with a view to completing whatever you need to do to get a degree from a US college/university. You wouldn't need to do all your courses in one fell swoop, you could probably do them over 2-3 years.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

I'll enquire once I'm over and earning money. I was studying an IT degree, should really get around to finishing it.

I do really love working in sales though, I think I've got a good career path for me. I just need to be given a shot and I know I can do the business in whatever industry it is.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I do really love working in sales though, I think I've got a good career path for me. I just need to be given a shot and I know I can do the business in whatever industry it is.
How about the scientific research industry? That's what I do...
Old Dec 16th 2014, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Send me the application
Old Dec 17th 2014, 11:52 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sally!

Well, I've really had a productive day today jobwise.

My buddy Christian has referred me for a sales position at his insurance firm with full health care, three months training and license fees paid for also which sounds amazing. I'm in the process of applying now. Not long after another friend contacted me and told me his firm was also looking for people with skill sets similar to mine. Turns out that role is for an advertising sales position which I think I'd also suit .

Fingers crossed.
I'm sure you know, Sarasota is a bit in the Boonies, so I imagine London Real Estate experience, while probably not directly relevant, would seem impressive. A girl in my office recently got her FL realtor licence, it didn't sound like a big deal to do.

You seem to have a bit of a network already so things should not be too hard.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

I have a small network at best unfortunately... I'll see what it's like when I get over, i may just shelve the Realtor plan and try and get into another field of sales.

I've heard it's easy to do, yes. All that matters are the employment prospects and if they're poor then it's no use to me. I'll try and walk in and speak with some realtors when I get over.

I booked my tickets today, heading across end of February. Very strange butterfly feeling in my stomach. I'm excited to go but I'll seriously miss my Dad, he's the funniest f***er you'll ever meet.