Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Florida Can you Help ?

Moving to Florida Can you Help ?

Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

jsmith007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Florida Can you Help ?

Hi , Can you please help us,

We are looking to Move to Florida from The UK, what are the best areas of Florida to live in ?

We are looking for Low crime, Lots to do for children, and also a busy place not the quite country life, we are not bothered about the heat as we love the Sun, but also good for families so we can have a nice way of living and Bbq etc.

We are looking for a good school, we have 1 little girl 2.5 years old a we do plan to have more,

Having Looked at several sites, i have seen good things about Tampa Bay ? Also Orlando ?

Does anyone have any other ideas ? Or can you add to this ?

Also we are looking to start our own business in order to Get a Green Card, again any advise on this would be great,

Thanks In Advance

John
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:06 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Florida Can you Help ?

Originally Posted by jsmith007

We are looking to Move to Florida from The UK, what are the best areas of Florida to live in ?

We are looking for Low crime, Lots to do for children, and also a busy place not the quite country life, we are not bothered about the heat as we love the Sun, but also good for families so we can have a nice way of living and Bbq etc.

We are looking for a good school, we have 1 little girl 2.5 years old a we do plan to have more,

Having Looked at several sites, i have seen good things about Tampa Bay ? Also Orlando ?

Also we are looking to start our own business in order to Get a Green Card, again any advise on this would be great,

Thanks In Advance

John
Google (or search this site) for E2 visas for business. There are lots of stipulations, so pay attention to those.

Do you have a business in the UK? What kind of business are you thinking of running in FL? With the economy how it is there will be plenty of businesses going tits up at the minute that are run by Americans whose legal status in the country (obviously) doesn't depend on the success of the buisness...

It's a risky venture right now for sure, but if you know what you're doing then you might be able to give it a try.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks In Advance

John
No crime ....... in florida ?
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

jsmith007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
Google (or search this site) for E2 visas for business. There are lots of stipulations, so pay attention to those.

Do you have a business in the UK? What kind of business are you thinking of running in FL? With the economy how it is there will be plenty of businesses going tits up at the minute that are run by Americans whose legal status in the country (obviously) doesn't depend on the success of the buisness...

It's a risky venture right now for sure, but if you know what you're doing then you might be able to give it a try.
Hello, thank you for your message , how long have you lived in florida ? Are you from Wales ? what is it like living there ? sorry for all the questions .. Just that i have welsh family so i trust the welsh ... And we love the Welsh rugby too !
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

To get a green card from a Investment ..you need a minimum of $500,000
for an EB-5

An E-2 visa will not give you a green card
Orlando and Tampa are both high crime areas as any other cities
usually are but guns are readily available..

Too many small business's are going to the wall at the moment ...
I know quite a few small Brit owned business going under and the people returning home
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, thank you for your message , how long have you lived in florida ? Are you from Wales ? what is it like living there ? sorry for all the questions .. Just that i have welsh family so i trust the welsh ... And we love the Welsh rugby too !
Have a good read around these forums.

Including the main USA forum and the 'Move Back to the UK' forum.

It will take you all day and perhaps many days more. But it will be worth it and will tell you much more than any responses you are likely to get to your thread.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:39 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

See my response to your post on the other thread. And it's possible to watch the rugby in the US!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:11 pm
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of

See my response to your post on the other thread. And it's possible to watch the rugby in the US!

Omg where?

I was heading for divorce last March when there was NOWHERE showing 6 nations final (grand slaaaam btw) Husband was calling every bar in 50 mile radius to see if anyone was showing it. I had only agreed to spend Paddys day in US because he promised we would be able to watch it.We eventually got it online on Setanta and had drunk a case of beer by midday.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merz
Omg where?

I was heading for divorce last March when there was NOWHERE showing 6 nations final (grand slaaaam btw) Husband was calling every bar in 50 mile radius to see if anyone was showing it. I had only agreed to spend Paddys day in US because he promised we would be able to watch it.We eventually got it online on Setanta and had drunk a case of beer by midday.
Setanta showed it on channel 621 direct TV
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:55 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by merz
Omg where?

Live - your only chance is the pub (Setanta's website has a venue finder) or a live stream online. Don't pay on Setanta's site if you can help it - myp2p.eu can be used to find most matches for free. Quality varies though.

Matches get shown on DirectTV but the 6 Nations matches are delayed. Because of this I don't bother and simply download via BitTorrent off UKNova and TheBox - they're usually uploaded by the morning the day after the match.

I have no problem following the Magners League, Heineken Cup and 6 Nations using a combination of these methods.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:20 pm
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of

Live - your only chance is the pub (Setanta's website has a venue finder) or a live stream online. Don't pay on Setanta's site if you can help it - myp2p.eu can be used to find most matches for free. Quality varies though.

Matches get shown on DirectTV but the 6 Nations matches are delayed. Because of this I don't bother and simply download via BitTorrent off UKNova and TheBox - they're usually uploaded by the morning the day after the match.

I have no problem following the Magners League, Heineken Cup and 6 Nations using a combination of these methods.

Thanks for that, someone told me about myp2p.eu a while back but I never used it.
Good idea with the venue finder, we may have to get more inventive to ensure there is no repeat of last years near disaster.

So,we will need a faster (new) computer and connect to a (new) big fat TV in sitting room. Still cheaper than flights back

merz

Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear hm, let's see:

North Florida, lowest cost of living that the state has to offer without living in a ghetto.

Well Florida has above average crime across the state. If you're not bothered with the heat, but want the sun, then Florida is a no go for you. There are plenty more states that have more sunshine than Florida and more affordable to live in. Like Arizona for example.

Tampa Bay and Orlando have pretty bad crime throughout the areas and the areas that don't suffer from very significant traffic problems, especially Orlando.

Honestly, I think you can't go wrong with Arizona. I think that's what you're looking for. It's warmer in winter, lot more sunny skies per year than Florida. Even the interior of the country would do good for you, the central US and north-central states and eastern Washington State offer a very high amount of sunshine if the heat is of no concern to you. Honestly Arizona might be a better fit for you.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Honestly Arizona might be a better fit for you.
Too far away from the mouse....
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Too far away from the mouse....
There is another Mouse in Anaheim, CA I've noticed it seems like there's a very high concentration of Brits around both the Disneys.....
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Oh dear hm, let's see:
You've swallowed the OP's red herring. The OP believes it's about choosing where to live whereas the rest of us know that it's all about the visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.