British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Florida advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-florida-advice-532654/)

hurkemnl Apr 28th 2008 12:46 am

Moving to Florida advice

ADVICE WANTED!
We are a British family moving to Florida from the west coast within the next few weeks. We have narrowed our search down to the Northeast and in particular St Johns County as we have been recommended this area as a low crime and good schools area (we have 2 young boys, aged 5 & 9). We intend on renting initially while we look around at property (6 months?). Can anyone recommend towns/cities not too far a commute from Jacksonville, we have already looked into Fruit Cove/Switzerland and that seems a lovely area from what we can see on the web but we have not been there. We are looking for a predominately caucasean population of either young familes and/or older folk with a community atmosphere, friendly, open-minded people who would be happy to have 'foreigners' as friends:)! Are there many brits in the Jacksonville area? Would be grateful for anyone's opinions based on experience? Thanks a lot in advance!:rofl:

Ray Apr 28th 2008 2:40 am

Re: Moving to Florida advice

Nothing better than doing a tour around your selected areas

get detail of the various area here

http://www.city-data.com/city/Florida.html

anotherlimey Apr 28th 2008 3:07 am

Originally Posted by hurkemnl (Post 6274620)
ADVICE WANTED!
We are a British family moving to Florida from the west coast within the next few weeks. We have narrowed our search down to the Northeast and in particular St Johns County as we have been recommended this area as a low crime and good schools area (we have 2 young boys, aged 5 & 9). We intend on renting initially while we look around at property (6 months?). Can anyone recommend towns/cities not too far a commute from Jacksonville, we have already looked into Fruit Cove/Switzerland and that seems a lovely area from what we can see on the web but we have not been there. We are looking for a predominately caucasean population of either young familes and/or older folk with a community atmosphere, friendly, open-minded people who would be happy to have 'foreigners' as friends:)! Are there many brits in the Jacksonville area? Would be grateful for anyone's opinions based on experience? Thanks a lot in advance!:rofl:

Something just seems wrong here! :rofl:

scrubbedexpat097 Apr 28th 2008 3:14 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 6274934)

:rofl:Game on...........;)

ugacrew Apr 28th 2008 3:52 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 6274934)

Oh no they didn't!:sneaky::p

Oh dear, if that's the requirement then they are indeed in for a rude awakening. Tsk...tsk.:blink:

BritGuyTN Apr 28th 2008 6:40 am

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 6275005)
Oh no they didn't!:sneaky::p

Oh dear, if that's the requirement then they are indeed in for a rude awakening. Tsk...tsk.:blink:

a big slap also

why not

'a predominantly pleasant middle income area'

than blatant racism

another bloody yank Apr 28th 2008 12:03 pm

ADVICE WANTED!

If you're looking for a "predominately caucasean population" my advice is to look further up North. Like........Vermont.

ugacrew Apr 28th 2008 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 6276587)
If you're looking for a "predominately caucasean population" my advice is to look further up North. Like........Vermont.

You evil thing, lol. What a trade off. Beautiful weather for a shit load of storm. Whatever happened to being open minded?;)

another bloody yank Apr 28th 2008 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 6276607)
You evil thing, lol. What a trade off. Beautiful weather for a shit load of storm. Whatever happened to being open minded?;)

I'd move to Vermont in a second (even if there were some darker than me's there).... You couldn't pay me enough to live in FL!:lol:

ugacrew Apr 28th 2008 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 6276629)
I'd move to Vermont in a second (even if there were some darker than me's there).... You couldn't pay me enough to live in FL!:lol:

Ditto! However I'd stop right as I got in the Northern Virginia area on the way up 95. I'll visit ya though. :p

Titchski Apr 28th 2008 12:46 pm

ADVICE WANTED!

I've seen Heidi and the Sound of Music - that area's full of caucasians, I never saw one latin-type or black person in either. you'll be fine :thumbup:

Rete Apr 28th 2008 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 6276629)

There are plenty. One of the stops on the underground railroad.

Ray Apr 28th 2008 1:45 pm

Races in Jacksonville:

White Non-Hispanic (62.2%)
Black (29.0%)
Hispanic (4.2%)
Two or more races (2.0%)
Filipino (1.4%)
Other race (1.3%)
American Indian (0.8%)

chicagojlo Apr 28th 2008 2:21 pm

What is up with people today?

Ray Apr 28th 2008 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 6277243)
What is up with people today?

Some people are more up front with their thoughs

I don't see a problem ....