Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Florida

Moving to Florida

Old Feb 9th 2006, 2:05 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Florida

Despite my best efforts, my 14-year self-imposed exclusion from FL is coming to an end. The uberboss is sending me to a conference in March for a few days.

So, given than one or two of you live out there, what's good in Orlando these days? Anything non-Disney worth seeing? Decent veggie restaurants?

Oh yeah, almost forgot - What kind of veesah do I need?
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:17 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Florida

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Despite my best efforts, my 14-year self-imposed exclusion from FL is coming to an end. The uberboss is sending me to a conference in March for a few days.
No permanent resident of Florida would ever go to Orlando .....
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:20 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

So, given than one or two of you live out there, what's good in Orlando these days? Anything non-Disney worth seeing? Decent veggie restaurants?

The EPCOT center is the business I hear. Its a vision of the future apparently.

Have a nice trip
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:22 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
The EPCOT center is the business I hear. Its a vision of the future apparently.Have a nice trip
It may have been when it opened in 1982 ...
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:57 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
No permanent resident of Florida would ever go to Orlando .....
Which is why the rest of us are forced to go.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:11 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

When i visited Orlando I hardly found any veggie food at all sorry to say, even the staff at restaurants were telling me they couldnt eat where they worked. I did however manage to eat at Emerils and had one of the best meals ever, it didnt seem expensive at the time but I was earning pounds then!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
It may have been when it opened in 1982 ...
We did the Disney/Epcot/MGM/Universal several times when my soon to go to Uni son was a toddler. Frankly Epcot looked like it was opened in 1952, old & boring.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:06 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I'm sorry for a moment there I thought you said "good" and "Orlando" in the same sentence.

If I were you I'd get a car and bugger off out of there during your down time.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

If you empty the contents of your wallet onto the counter you can go and watch dolphins jump through hoops at Seaworld and a big wham bam production called Shamu which involves a whale. There are plenty of veggie restaurants, just ask them to omit the burger as you drive thru.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lizzi
If you empty the contents of your wallet onto the counter you can go and watch dolphins jump through hoops at Seaworld and a big wham bam production called Shamu which involves a whale. There are plenty of veggie restaurants, just ask them to omit the burger as you drive thru.
I believe the entry fee at Seaworld et al is now Contents of Wallet + 1 Limb. Plus sales tax of 6.25% of course.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
......+ 1 Limb. Plus sales tax of 6.25% of course.
So, would that be an eye, maybe?
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dunroving
So, would that be an eye, maybe?
Or a couple of fingers.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If you've never been to Disney/Epcot, I'd say it's worth it despite the fact some parts do seem a bit outdated (I've been maybe 5 times since they opened in the '80's, and was a bit disappointed last time that they hadn't really added much).

One of the fun parts of Epcot for me is the World Showcase - little countries (China, Japan, Canada) - so you can have breakfast in a French cafe, lunch at a British pub, and dinner at a Morrocan souk.

Plus, of course, if you ever leave the US, you know you'll spend the rest of your life having to explain that although youl ived in Florida you didn't go to Disney ....
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:47 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I believe the entry fee at Seaworld et al is now Contents of Wallet + 1 Limb. Plus sales tax of 6.25% of course.
Its all 7% now I though .... addd a toe...
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:51 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by dunroving
Plus, of course, if you ever leave the US, you know you'll spend the rest of your life having to explain that although youl ived in Florida you didn't go to Disney ....
Hey!!! I went to the opening in 1971... Orlando was very small then ...
It was even better when it was a one donkey village called Jerrigan ...

The name was changed to Orlando in 1857 to honor soldier Orlando Reeves who was killed by an Indian arrow while on duty as a sentinel. The U.S. Postal Service recognized the city on July 21, 1875. Its population was only 85.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.