Reload this Page >

Moving to Florida

Moving to Florida

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Delph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Florida

Hi guys

I am sure this question has been asked before but I am new to the forum. I am from the UK but my gf lives in florida and is a US citizen. We have decided its better for me to go there but I am not sure what options I have. I have read up on visas etc but the more I read the more conflicting info I get.

Basically we will get married, but I dont really want to straight away, and flying backand forwards is crippling the bank account so I need to work while I am out there before we get married. I work in the IT / Web Design Field if its of any use?

What I really want is a Visa to be able to stay there for more than the standard 3 months and be able to work, the job itself isnt important just enough to support myself why I am there.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:19 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Florida

You have a limited option... Apply for a K-1 Visa .. that should take a good few months ..then travel to the USA ..and marry here within 90 days...you can start work when you arrive ..and have your SSN... getting a job is much harder...do a search in google for K-I visa for more info
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Florida

Originally posted by Delph
.....Any info will be greatly appreciated. .....
Unfortunately their are no special concessions for people who want to move to the US to be with their girlfriend, unless you are engaged, in which case you get 90 days (I think) from the date of arrival when you have to get married.

This leaves you with the unpleasant alternative of trying to justify your own visa, which isn't going to be easy. Below is my usual advice for those seeking to immigrate to the USA, you have discounted (i), and seem to want to obtain a visa under (ii), but this is going to be difficult in the short term (the US economy isn't too bouyant right now), and the number of visas for this category is being slashed by two thirds in 2004 making it even more difficult.

In summary, you are making things difficult for yourself and realistically I'd suggest that you either have to carry on flying out to see your girlfriend, or bite the bullet and propose.

I hope this helps.

=========================================

There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:29 am
Just Joined

Delph is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated, it looks to me as getting married would be the easiest route....its just call me old fashioned but I really dont want to marry JUST to get into the country.