British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Florida with 16 & 18 year old (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-florida-16-18-year-old-915992/)

Ppfeto Aug 12th 2018 4:32 pm

Moving to Florida with 16 & 18 year old

We are moving to Florida on an E2 visa next year after my youngest son has completed his GCSEs
He is quite excited and is really looking forward joining High School,making new friends etc.
However I’m wondering what advice you could give me for my then 18 year old ( he’s currently 17 )
He will have finished college by then and completed an extended diploma in music production.
He will obviously not be able to work till we can apply for the GC after 2 years.
I’vd Sourced a local community college but I guess he will have to go in as a international student not as a resident, but this I’m guessing is astronomical
I’m at a loss what to do so any advice or similar threads would be great.

christmasoompa Aug 12th 2018 5:04 pm

Re: Moving to Florida with 16 & 18 year old

Hi, welcome to BE. I can’t help at all about college, but this statement intrigued me.

Originally Posted by Ppfeto (Post 12547251)
He will obviously not be able to work till we can apply for the GC after 2 years.

I didn’t think there was any direct route to a GC from an E-2 (may well have that mixed up with any other visa though, I’m thinking of the investor one), if you do have a route then could you not apply sooner? I’d have thought he’d be at risk of aging out if you leave it that long, plus if you applied earlier it would mean he could work etc.

But in regards to older teens and college/work, I’m sure the forum will have some useful threads if you do a search and I’m sure others who have done the same will be along to advise shortly.

Good luck.

Ppfeto Aug 12th 2018 5:52 pm

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
In response to your question. Due to my husband “significant investment “in the US already ( he opened his U.K. company 10 years ago and set up a US company (but no branch) 8 years ago, all his business is put through the US company ) so technically we have jumped a few steps and need to now open a branch and employ.
We have been advised that whilst there is no gurantee, as long as we tick the remaining boxes, there is no reason why we will not be eligible for a GC in 2 years. I’ll admit that I was surprised but also hopeful as apparently we are in a strong position already.
Hope that makes sense

Nutmegger Aug 12th 2018 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ppfeto (Post 12547288)
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
In response to your question. Due to my husband “significant investment “in the US already ( he opened his U.K. company 10 years ago and set up a US company (but no branch) 8 years ago, all his business is put through the US company ) so technically we have jumped a few steps and need to now open a branch and employ.
We have been advised that whilst there is no gurantee, as long as we tick the remaining boxes, there is no reason why we will not be eligible for a GC in 2 years. I’ll admit that I was surprised but also hopeful as apparently we are in a strong position already.
Hope that makes sense

Sounds as if you are hoping to convert your E-2 to an EB-5 as a result of putting an investment of $500,000 to $1m at risk (a program that has been teetering on the edge of extinction for years). There are still enough steps for you to take that your 18 year old could age out before you achieve the green cards.

karenkaren1 Aug 13th 2018 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Ppfeto (Post 12547288)
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
Hope that makes sense

I dont understand why you wouldn't go down L1 route - which is easier for greencard

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 13th 2018 1:21 am

Straight to an EB5 would be easier?

civilservant Aug 13th 2018 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12547393)
Straight to an EB5 would be easier?

This. Especially with the children aging out at 21. It would solve all the problems mentioned.

jjmb Aug 14th 2018 6:35 pm

Quite simple, just don't do it. Its not fair to your kids at this crucial point in their lives. There are plenty of threads on this forum about moving with older kids. Read them and then make a decision.