British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Flordia questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-flordia-questions-925811/)

Bhaveee Jun 17th 2019 6:34 am

Moving to Flordia questions

So my husband and I both live in the UK with a child and mortgage. We work for American businesses. My husband’s father remarried a US national so our step mother and step sister is in Dallas. My father in law passed away last year. We want to see how easy it is to move there. Can someone advise the best way? I am 39 and husband 42

civilservant Jun 17th 2019 10:05 am

Re: Moving to Flordia questions

Based on what you have said, you have no family reunification route other than sibling sponsorship which will take probably 15 years+ and that's only if your husband has blood siblings in the US, which it appears he does not.

Do your respective US employers ever sponsor visas? If so an L1A or B might be your best/only route to a visa to live and work in the US unless you have $500k you want to risk losing to buy a Green Card.

Jerseygirl Jun 17th 2019 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Bhaveee (Post 12699044)
So my husband and I both live in the UK with a child and mortgage. We work for American businesses. My husband’s father remarried a US national so our step mother and step sister is in Dallas. My father in law passed away last year. We want to see how easy it is to move there. Can someone advise the best way? I am 39 and husband 42

Did your FIL become a US citizen?

Bhaveee Jun 17th 2019 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12699156)
Did your FIL become a US citizen?

hello yes he did

civilservant Jun 17th 2019 12:02 pm

In which case he can sponsor his son as a married child over the age of 21, but again, it'll take many years.

Rete Jun 17th 2019 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12699170)
In which case he can sponsor his son as a married child over the age of 21, but again, it'll take many years.

Her FIL is deceased.

Did your husband ever hold Permanent Residency in the US? If so, at what age did he return to reside permanently in the UK? Was he under the age of 18 at the time his father became a US citizen and was your husband a green card holder at that time?

Jerseygirl Jun 17th 2019 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12699183)
Her FIL is deceased.

Did your husband ever hold Permanent Residency in the US? If so, at what age did he return to reside permanently in the US? Was he under the age of 18 at the time his father became a US citizen and was your husband a green card holder at that time?

Of course. Thanks for giving me a nudge Rete.

Apologies civilservant for leading you astray!!

Pulaski Jun 17th 2019 12:40 pm

..... My husband’s father remarried a US national so our step mother and step sister is in Dallas. .....

I hope you meant "his", not "our"! :eek:

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12699095)
Based on what you have said, you have no family reunification route other than sibling sponsorship which will take probably 15 years+ and that's only if your husband has blood siblings in the US, which it appears he does not.

That depends on what she means by "step sister". Did her husband's father marry an American woman and have a child, or marry an American woman who already had a child?

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 17th 2019 3:09 pm

My assumption would be that a work transfer would be the way to go, but fascinated how these questions are posed with not enough information to give a sensible answer, why?

Rete Jun 17th 2019 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12699265)
My assumption would be that a work transfer would be the way to go, but fascinated how these questions are posed with not enough information to give a sensible answer, why?

Because they are ignorant of how US immigration works and don't have a clue on what is or is not a help item. One of the reasons why they are here asking for information and another reason why regular posters need to ask outright for info to make educated responses.

Pulaski Jun 17th 2019 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12699292)
Because they are ignorant of how US immigration works and don't have a clue on what is or is not a help item. .....

I think he is asking why do they even want to try to move specifically to Florida? (Though with it being Boiler, it is hard to be sure what he means. :lol:) You couldn't pay me enough to persuade me to move to Florida, and I live only a few hours drive to the north.

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 17th 2019 4:22 pm

It becomes a circular discussion, how long is a piece if string?

If I was asking and wanted a good response then I would think I would need to set out my position as clearly as possible and would include anything I think may be relevant, which of course my be over kill. I really have no objection to that as of course like you say they do not have much of a clue.

SanDiegogirl Jun 17th 2019 4:25 pm

Get your companies to sponsor you for visas to the US ........