Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving IT equipment

Moving IT equipment

Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:22 pm
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light
Question Moving IT equipment

This is one for the techies!

We've got a couple of PC's with data* that we'd like to bring with us.
From a transport POV, would it be better to remove drives and buy new cases when we arrive, or ship the cases complete and buy new PSUs when we get there?

Also which would be safest to ship? Complete or just drives?
Is it just down to personal preference at the end of the day?

Thanks in advance!

*Data will of course be backed up onto some other medium prior to shipping.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving IT equipment

Originally Posted by Terminal

From a transport POV, would it be better to remove drives and buy new cases when we arrive, or ship the cases complete and buy new PSUs when we get there?

Thanks in advance!

We have a forum called The Lab for questions such as this...you may get a better response in there.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:27 pm
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We have a forum called The Lab for questions such as this...you may get a better response in there.
Didn't spot it, but will hunt and repost - thanks
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:27 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!

Are the PCs dual voltage ? If they are not you may as well get rid of them and start over unless you want to bother switching out the PSUs when you get here.

PCs are so cheap now that unless yours are very new they are not worth shipping anyway.

Have you thought of backing up your data to some on-line service and then downoading it again when you get here ?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:30 pm
Critical Circuits

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Have you thought of backing up your data to some on-line service and then downoading it again when you get here ?
Spooky! I was just thinking that last night!
Haven't even looked into it yet. Can you recommend any? Is it just as easy to use my own webspace?

Cheers for the advice
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't spot it, but will hunt and repost - thanks
It's where the techies hang out.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:34 pm
Critical Circuits

Thanks loads for the quick replies... to save double posting I've moved the thread to the thread below to save double posting.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...75#post4908575

I'll not reply to the thread here now to save any confusion
Thanks again.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

best thing for ya... buy a USB HDD... dump everything onto it... get rid of the PC's UK side and buy new here... plug USB HDD in and there ya go.

the lab will likely tell you the same but I don't go in there... full of geeks & freaks.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:43 pm
Critical Circuits

Originally Posted by USBound
best thing for ya... buy a USB HDD... dump everything onto it... get rid of the PC's UK side and buy new here... plug USB HDD in and there ya go.
Sweet, I was thinking of that as an option too. I think it's the way to go. Cheers.

Originally Posted by USBound
the lab will likely tell you the same but I don't go in there... full of geeks & freaks.
Hehe, I went in there, got scared and ran out again
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sweet, I was thinking of that as an option too. I think it's the way to go. Cheers.

Hehe, I went in there, got scared and ran out again
Best not to venture into TIO then...not so much geeks as raving loonies in there.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Are the PCs dual voltage ?
Most PSUs have a small 110/240 switch in the back (often covered by tape) and a standard connector so all you need is a new power cord. The PC would probably work here right away, though damage in transit is another matter. Taking out the hard drive and carrying in your hand luggage is a good option.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:00 pm
Critical Circuits

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
Most PSUs have a small 110/240 switch in the back (often covered by tape) and a standard connector so all you need is a new power cord. The PC would probably work here right away, though damage in transit is another matter. Taking out the hard drive and carrying in your hand luggage is a good option.
TBH it's a perfect excuse to get a spanky new system. My Mobo and GFX card need a serious upgrade!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:25 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you bought the PC in the last 6 month (i.e. it is a 'current' machine still being sold at stores) then my advice is to take this opportunity as an excuse to buy a new machine. I also second the advice to put the current drive (or backing up to) an external USB case (I'd even buy that in the US too to save some money) and then plug it in when you arrive to your brand new PC.

Back when I worked in an office, when we would move a floor full of computers (i.e. about 20) we had, on average, one thing break on one machine out of the 20 (i.e. a power supply, a broken mouse, a dropped keyboard--something). While that was a 1:20 ratio, you do have to consider it is going to be on a ship and time and cranes and etc.

Take a look at http://www.bestbuy.com and http://www.circuitcity.com and http://www.officedepot.com to get an idea what you are going to pay for a new PC over here. Sell yours before you go (or get a webcam and give it to your family or friends over there so you can say hi now and then)

Good luck
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I closed the thread as there's a double post in the lab for follow on stuff