Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from England to New Jersey with children

Moving from England to New Jersey with children

Old Apr 30th 2016, 3:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from England to New Jersey with children

Congratulations
Old May 1st 2016, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

agent welsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cullinp
L1 approved - moving to Bergen County when the kids current half term finishes at the end of May.
Where in Bergen County? I have been looking at Allendale, good commute to NYC and high ranking school. We also still have Madison, Florham Park, Chatham in the running. We really like the look of Mendham houses and land, and the IB at the high school, but can not decide if the extra time in commute would out weigh it.
Old May 3rd 2016, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

cullinp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by agent welsh
Where in Bergen County? I have been looking at Allendale, good commute to NYC and high ranking school. We also still have Madison, Florham Park, Chatham in the running. We really like the look of Mendham houses and land, and the IB at the high school, but can not decide if the extra time in commute would out weigh it.

Mahwah....
Old May 4th 2016, 12:43 am
Just Joined

cullinp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Congratulations
Thank you Jerseygirl
Old Jul 20th 2016, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Perky74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone. My husband will be taking up a job in NY at Christmas. I want my children to finish the school year at our local prep school here in the UK so we will follow next summer. (Also give me a chance to take a deep breath before we take the move!!) is there an active expat community in Summit? Not that we don't want to make
Lots of American friends but also keen to have a connection back to the UK. I am excited by the move but also feeling really sad about leaving home. Summit and Basking Ridge are top of our list as places to live at the moment. Thanks for any info.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

moNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond reputemoNYC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I don't know if there is an active expat community in Summit, although I have met a few families from the UK and a couple of us who met here meet up regularly with the kids for play dates so just give us a shout!
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Ok great. Thanks. I will do! We will
Know for definite next week. Eeek! To be honest I am feeling really nervous about the move. If I'm honest I don't really want to do it as we are very happy here in the Uk and very settled with friends and family. However it is a great job opportunity and will open a lot of doors For my husband's career which obviously benefits our family. I'm trying to think of it as a great adventure. It won't be forever. Does anyone have any advice on how to tell the children? My children have very close friendships here that I know they will be so sad to leave as well as Their Nana.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perky74
... I am feeling really nervous about the move. If I'm honest I don't really want to do it as we are very happy here in the Uk and very settled with friends and family. However it is a great job opportunity and will open a lot of doors For my husband's career which obviously benefits our family. I'm trying to think of it as a great adventure. It won't be forever. Does anyone have any advice on how to tell the children? My children have very close friendships here that I know they will be so sad to leave as well as Their Nana.
I am a single guy with no kids, so I don't have direct experience. However, if I was in your position, I would try to look at it as a big adventure, and help your kids to see that too. In moving to the USA, you're opening up new doors for your family, both in terms of work (more career opportunities for your husband = more $$$, and potentially more job satisfaction), and more opportunities for new experiences with your husband and kids (USA is a big place, with lots of places to explore and things to do).

My former boss moved his wife and 13 and 17 year old kids to San Diego a few years ago, and they quickly got assimilated into life here. My boss got to surf nearly every day (living only 10 mins walk from a great beach), and regularly hold big BBQs in the beautiful sunshine, my boss' 17 year old had the opportunity to volunteer in one of the best research aquariums in the world, and learn how to surf, etc, and my boss' 13 year old made tons of friends, excelled in school, and got to compete competitively in sports such as lacrosse. The family moved back to the UK last year, for a number of reasons, but they would all say that they have many fond memories of the time that they spent here. It was one big adventure for them.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ok great. Thanks. I will do! We will
Know for definite next week. Eeek! To be honest I am feeling really nervous about the move. If I'm honest I don't really want to do it as we are very happy here in the Uk and very settled with friends and family. However it is a great job opportunity and will open a lot of doors For my husband's career which obviously benefits our family. I'm trying to think of it as a great adventure. It won't be forever. Does anyone have any advice on how to tell the children? My children have very close friendships here that I know they will be so sad to leave as well as Their Nana.
My daughter was 11 when we moved for a year or two. She'd been to the US and NJ many, many times and we enjoyed our visits. I played it up to her...made it seem like a big adventure. We didn't have any goodbye get togethers or goodbyes at the airport. We started to say our goodbyes in the weeks preceding our departure...leaving grandparents until the last few days.

Much of me regrets leaving the UK. We only have a small family and I feel my daughter missed out growing up with her cousins and childhood friends. She missed out having her grandparents, aunts and uncles in her life.

After 20 years she still identifies with Brits more than she does with Americans or Canadians. She is settled in Canada now but I know she regrets moving from the UK.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone. My husband will be taking up a job in NY at Christmas. I want my children to finish the school year at our local prep school here in the UK so we will follow next summer.
What ages are the kids? If elementary/primary, I'd give serious consideration to moving mid-year; my kids have done a number of school moves domestically and internationally and mid-year ones are by FAR the easiest for them. A new kid arriving in the class mid-year is exciting and fun for the existing class, and they vie to make friends with the novelty classmate. The teacher has much more time available for making sure the newbie is settled in, rather than being faced with 25-30 strange children and having to meet them all.

US classes aren't like UK ones - the kids are remixed every year. This means that the teacher often doesn't even realize that Little Johnny is new to the school/ country, and might need some help with work/ processes/ lockers/ Pledge of Allegiance, etc.

Mid-year is also better socially, as it avoids weeks of being in a new country not knowing anyone, and them fretting about the impending new school and the other kids. Move-straight into school rips off the band-aid much more effectively.

Lastly, check the school calendar. If they stay in the UK until late July, they may then be starting US school after only a week or so of summer break!

From a family point of view, it will also be MUCH more fun and bonding to all move to the new country together, and have the shared experiences and memories.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 5:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
... Lastly, check the school calendar. If they stay in the UK until late July, they may then be starting US school after only a week or so of summer break! ....
Or no break - some schools in my neck of the woods have already started back "after" the summer.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much everyone. Great advice. I have thought about moving mid year instead. The kids and I Would definitely miss my husband if he went out for too long before us.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond repute

We've met lots of Brits in Summit to the extent a new American friend actually commented that is Brits are always together!

I agree on the mid year move point - both children were treated as exciting new comers when we arrived in March.

We were very open with our kids and took them all on the house hunt trip so that made them feel happier but I can't lie and say there weren't any tears - all of us found it hard but you get through it and now everyone is settling well
Old Jul 26th 2016, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks so much everyone. This is great info. We should get the offer today. Then it's off to the visa challenge!
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Hi everyone. My husband will be taking up a job in NY at Christmas. I want my children to finish the school year at our local prep school here in the UK so we will follow next summer. (Also give me a chance to take a deep breath before we take the move!!) is there an active expat community in Summit? Not that we don't want to make
Lots of American friends but also keen to have a connection back to the UK. I am excited by the move but also feeling really sad about leaving home. Summit and Basking Ridge are top of our list as places to live at the moment. Thanks for any info.
There are lots of ex-pats in Summit, I've been here for 16 years now and love it. Son is in the middle school, and you honestly couldn't find a better area to live in.

If you have any questions about Summit or the surrounding towns I will tell you everything you need to know. Not only do I live here but I am also an active real estate agent and will help as much as needed.