Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving dogs to USA

moving dogs to USA

Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:24 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving dogs to USA

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have no idea what the criteria is for ADs but most if not all cruise lines recognize them. They are allowed in all areas of the ship including the restaurants.

What about assistance cats? Do ships have the whole "emotional support" animal thing?
Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
What about assistance cats? Do ships have the whole "emotional support" animal thing?
I don’t know. I do know the owner has to be with their pet at all times,ie you can’t leave it alone in the cabin.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well ESA is a US thing, seems Cunard make it difficult enough that you would only go through it is you were a regular traveller or had loads of money or both.

I have seen the term Assistance Animals used by AirBnB, however very different definition to Cunard.

I doubt somebody wanting to use Cunard to effectively emigrate is going to go through the hassle.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 9:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well ESA is a US thing, seems Cunard make it difficult enough that you would only go through it is you were a regular traveller or had loads of money or both.

I have seen the term Assistance Animals used by AirBnB, however very different definition to Cunard.

I doubt somebody wanting to use Cunard to effectively emigrate is going to go through the hassle.
The OP has not stated that her dogs are ESAs. It was my fault, I drifted off topic mentioning the little dog perched on a velvet cushion.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

Sounds like that lady had the resources and the desire to get her pooch classified as a 'Cunard Assistance Dog'. Or maybe if you spend enough the rules can be waived.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 10:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sounds like that lady had the resources and the desire to get her pooch classified as a 'Cunard Assistance Dog'. Or maybe if you spend enough the rules can be waived.
Oh yes for sure. I mean...who has a butler walking a few paces behind, carrying a little dog on a red velvet cushion?
Old Jul 18th 2019, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP has not stated that her dogs are ESAs. It was my fault, I drifted off topic mentioning the little dog perched on a velvet cushion.
But that entire image and the way you described it in your earlier post was so delicious.

Worth going overboard for

Or, as Guide Michelin would note: vaut le détour
Old Jul 19th 2019, 5:28 pm
Aoi
Forum Regular

Aoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond repute

Lufthansa allow small dogs and cats that weigh a maximum of 8 kg including a suitable transport container to be taken with you into the passenger cabin.
https://www.lufthansa.com/gb/en/anim...rry-on-baggage

It is not allowed to fly a dog into the UK in the cabin of a commercial aircraft. I do not know whether a dog can fly out of the UK in the cabin or if alternative travel arrangements to Frankfurt would be needed.

There was no restriction on pet travel in the cabin in summer but if the departure is delayed after boarding and the APU is not used (to avoid having to refuel again before departure) it can get very hot in the cabin in which case ask the attendant for ice to cool the dog.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

I thought the UK had the same regulations for incoming and outgoing.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 7:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I thought the UK had the same regulations for incoming and outgoing.
So did I but a few years ago someone said they had transported their cat from the UK to US in the cabin.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 10:19 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

KLM never used to have summer temperature restrictions - this was 2010, when I was looking into bringing dogs to the USA. I did it myself through KLM, to Houston. It may/may not be an issue but needs a lot of research as to what the current rules are. I believe BA fly direct to Austin, but I don’t know their policy on pets.

BA policy

KLM policy

Old Jul 27th 2019, 4:15 am
Just Joined

smherron is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cazzababes
Hi,

Looking to move 2 small cavalier king charles dogs from London to Austin in the near future. What is the most cost effective way to do this ? Just been quoted 1200 gbp to do so...,.

Thanks
we moved our jack russell from the uk to Dallas/Fort Worth using PetAirUk in January this year, I think it was around £1k but he stayed in kennels for a couple of days in the uk and arrived a couple of days after us - they also handled all of the required paperwork. We had cheaper quotes but went for a middle of the road package as some of them felt too cheap and some seemed like he should have been flying business class 😄

He was flown over with BA and I think they do have limits on the temperatures for boarding and landing and I’m pretty sure you can see them on the BA website, but I guess the company that managed it would have handled any issues.

EDIT: some quick googling suggests that the upper limit on temperature is 85f (29 ish Celsius), the temp here in Fort Worth is currently 77 at 11:25pm, looks like Austin is 80 - and my understanding is it won’t start cooling until at least the end of August. The flight Alfie arrived on landed at 8:10pm but it was January so there was probably never any doubt but it would probably be worth speaking with the airlines or a nominated company to see what they think.

hope this helps

Last edited by smherron; Jul 27th 2019 at 4:26 am.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 5:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Austin temps are going to be 90F+ every day now until early September.
Night time temps - lowest is usually about 78F in the early hours.
The BA flight gets in around 4.30pm which is usually the hottest time.

Honestly, go to Petair UK and let them handle any issues.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

PootleK is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd take the £1200 quote if I was you. I paid £2000 for one dog, but I did do the full service vet check, customs forms, pick up from customs at the airport and deliver to my door. I think without the customs paperwork at airport and delivery it would have been £1600.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 1:53 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Austin temps are going to be 90F+ every day now until early September.
Night time temps - lowest is usually about 78F in the early hours.
The BA flight gets in around 4.30pm which is usually the hottest time.

Honestly, go to Petair UK and let them handle any issues.
I think (though not sure) BA insist you use them anyway