Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving dogs to America

Moving dogs to America

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving dogs to America

We've done research and decided that PetairUK are the clearcut choice for moving our two Labradors, Fib & Archie (see what I did there?)

We've got our quote and the intended carrier is United Airlines flying from Manchester to Newark (same day, different flight), overnight at Newark then on to Cleveland the next day.

Any opinions on the choice of carrier or airports? I know we have to trust PetairUK after seeing the reviews of their work and the recommendations on here but we really do love those boys and wouldn't want to leave any i undotted or t uncrossed.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving dogs to America

Originally Posted by technolog
We've done research and decided that PetairUK are the clearcut choice for moving our two Labradors, Fib & Archie (see what I did there?)

We've got our quote and the intended carrier is United Airlines flying from Manchester to Newark (same day, different flight), overnight at Newark then on to Cleveland the next day.

Any opinions on the choice of carrier or airports? I know we have to trust PetairUK after seeing the reviews of their work and the recommendations on here but we really do love those boys and wouldn't want to leave any i undotted or t uncrossed.
We used PetAir to ship our cat and they were excellent. I'd suggest talking to them in detail about the procedure for processing your dogs when they arrive in the US so you're absolutely certain about how it works and what you have to do/where you have to go.

It was quite bureaucratic and we wasted some time because my wife initially went to customs to get the authorization for our cat to be released and it turned out only my name was on the paperwork and I had to go instead. There was also a cash fee to be paid at the US cargo terminal too (about $40 three years ago at JFK) so make sure you have some US cash on you.

If I recall correctly PetAir can arrange for their US counterparts to handle the paperwork, collect your pets and deliver them to you but opting for that pretty much doubles the cost.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 12:40 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Fib & Archie (see what I did there?)
Sorry, nothing useful to add, but I LOVE their names!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably your new house number is 11235 ?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

LJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the rough

Our boy just arrived in Texas from the UK 2 weeks ago - we used PetAir after a lot of researching for the best available option for his travel.

He flew United Airlines Glasgow/Newark/Houston - left the UK at 7am (UK time) and was delivered to our door at 8:30 PM the same day.

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the whole process from beginning to end. PetAirUK may have been an expensive option, but well worth it for moving over your beloved pet. We took the option where all paper work was handled by them, and he was delivered to our home in Houston. Flying via Newark means the dogs are processed through customs there, and it all went very smoothly. We did not collect at the airport here, but we were advised again all paperwork was in order and he came straight through to the courier delivering him.

PetAir collected Bodhi the morning before his flight, and took care of his fit to travel certificate, and all of the paperwork. We only had to provide his inoculation records, showing he had a current rabies shot. He stayed overnight in a local kennel and had a very long walk before his trip to the airport. He was allowed to travel with 1 blanket/mattress from home A) for comfort B) for a familiar smell to relax him a bit. He was not fed much before the flight to avoid any accidents when crated up.

During his trip, we received a couple of "post cards" from our dog, telling us he had taken off from Glasgow and then landed in Newark - they were very cute. The care they took of Bodhi was nothing short of amazing!!! He arrived a little confused and tired, but he was clean, very happy to see us, and after being a bit shaky and thirsty for a couple of hours settled into his new home very well. On arrival do not feed or water too much as our boy vomited for a little bit, nothing serious, I'm sure it was the fact he had not eaten for a while and didn't have a clue as to what he had just been through.He arrived wearing his collar and his lead was attached to his crate.

We were very very anxious about the whole thing, but I cannot stress enough, the professionalism of PetAir, the care and attention our dog received, and the full and accurate information were were given during his travels we perfect!!

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them if I didn't cover your concerns. Im sorry my post is so long but I really want to help put your mind at rest, I understand how distressing this, but its worth it in the end.

Good luck xxx

Last edited by LJSassy; Apr 4th 2014 at 8:31 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Presumably your new house number is 11235 ?
Well, we're lodging at the future m-i-l's house, 27923, so no. I'd certainly be interested if such a numbered house hoved into view
Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Moving dogs to America

Well, we're lodging at the future m-i-l's house, 27923, so no. I'd certainly be interested if such a numbered house hoved into view
Not even a prime location.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LJSassy
If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them if I didn't cover your concerns. Im sorry my post is so long but I really want to help put your mind at rest, I understand how distressing this, but its worth it in the end.

Good luck xxx
Thank you, that's very kind of you. I must admit this is the most worrying part of the whole visa, moving, wedding, new job process.

Fib tends to be frightened of anything noisy or electrical in nature. Hopefully he'll feel safe in his crate and know his brother's nearby.

They had their rabies shots today and we got their pet passports just in case they ever have to make the return trip.

We went for the gold package but without some of the extras. They're being picked up on the Friday and boarded in Manchester until their flight to Newark on Monday. They'll overnight in Newark before the short flight to Cleveland on Tuesday. We arrive in Cleveland late on Monday and will make the short, 20 minute trip to the airport to be reunited, the following day.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steveq
Not even a prime location.
Although it IS my surname
Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

They had their rabies shots today and we got their pet passports just in case they ever have to make the return trip.
Are they on heartworm protection already? If not that is something you will need to get sorted when you arrive. You should also ascertain if Lyme Disease is a problem in the area where you will be living and get that shot if appropriate. Good luck with the move!