Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to a different district

moving to a different district

Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

ramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant future
Default moving to a different district

What is the case if I move to a a different district after the naturalization interview and before I take the oath

Likely I'll change jobs soon but I am not sure what will happen if I change my address to a different district . Can I take the oath on a different district ?

Thanks
Old Jan 16th 2007, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to a different district

Originally Posted by ramNagab
What is the case if I move to a a different district after the naturalization interview and before I take the oath
Most offices will stipulate that you must reside within their jurisdiction for a minimum of 90 days prior to being allowed to file there or use their services. It's up to you of course, but I personally wouldn't move until after taking the oath... there's no telling how long it will take to get your case file moved to the new area.

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2007, 1:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to a different district

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Most offices will stipulate that you must reside within their jurisdiction for a minimum of 90 days prior to being allowed to file there or use their services. It's up to you of course, but I personally wouldn't move until after taking the oath... there's no telling how long it will take to get your case file moved to the new area.

Ian
You can use their services from day 1. Yes, the N-400 stipulates that you must reside in the County for 90 days before filing but that is different from residing in a city for 90 days. Westchester County has perhaps 50 cities and if I move within the county to another city it will not change the county residency requirement but might change district office jurisdiction.

As for the OP, he is speaking about after the N-400 interview but before the oath ceremony. In regards to his original question, personally I don't know what he should do. Realistically I would think it would have to take the oath in the designation required of the new district office but an Infopass appointment might be in order to clarify or he can just not move until the oath ceremony is over and done with.