Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Denver HELP please

Moving to Denver HELP please

Old Jun 23rd 2014, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Denver HELP please

Originally Posted by windsong
Be prepared to have some breathing problems. It is known as the "mile high" city and only has 80% oxygen in the air. There is also no humidity in the air and, since you are much closer to the sun, your skin will dry out like a prune. Go without sunscreen all over your body at your own risk.

If you decide to venture into the mountain towns, be prepared to suffer from altitude sickness. Not everyone does, but many do. It's quite an adjustment to get used to the lack of "flatness", too. It is a visual adjustment that takes time.

It rains a lot and it rains hail the size of ping-pong balls - no joking! There is snow from October until May - and not just a few inches. There are very few plants. It is hard to grow them when there is snow eight months of the year and in the remaining months when it is warmer, the very large hail kills them. Be prepared to experience cold temperatures, very hot temperatures, thunder and lightening, strong winds, rain and hail the size of ping pong balls all in the same week in the middle of summer. The hail covers the ground like snow and accumulates just like snow in certain parts. There was large hail just two weeks ago and it accumulated to 18 inches in parts.

There is hardly any suburbia. You have two options - city or mountains. There is such a thing as "mountain people"!!!! I kid you not! They can be strange.

Be prepared for mediocre or lower standards in the mountain areas when it comes to hairdressers, doctors, etc. You have to go to the city to find people who have any idea what they are doing.

Having said that, Denver is not too bad a city, as far as American cities go. However, be prepared to see very few "lakes", if any. There is no water - a small man-made puddle here and there but nothing more. It does have a fairly good light rail system.

Do visit Boulder. The brightest, most creative and educated people are there.

Drivers are not courteous - and they are not good drivers so beware.

Above all, do NOT let your pets out without a leash and do not leave them unattended, not even in your own back yard. Many pets have been taken by hawks and mountain lions. Just about everyone in the general area knows someone whose pet has disappeared!!! I am not exaggerating. Everyone knows about the mountain lions.

Denver is as far away from British culture as you could possibly get in America.
I'm with gad33, most of this post is utter crap. There is suburbia - I happen to live in it. Highlands Ranch would definitely qualify.

If you are reasonably fit and healthy you'll have no breathing problems especially east of the foothills. It doesn't rain a lot. The snow is only really a problem if you live in the mountains, as you might expect. There are plenty of plants, obviously in the mountains only certain types will grow. Hail is only really of concern if you are east of Denver, weather can OCCASSIONALLY be extreme, but is perfectly manageable. Not a lot of lakes in Denver (why is this even relevant?!?) but plenty of lakes / reservoirs outside the city. There is plenty of flatness away from the mountains - they're called the plains for a reason...!!

Yes, the air is drier than the UK so if you have bad skin you'll be using more moisturizer. Yes, the quality of driving here isn't great. Yes, Boulder is pretty cool, but depends what you like really. Yes, small pets can be at risk depending where you live.

I doubt it's any further from British culture than most US cities, and there are a fair few expats here.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did see two Moose when walking the dog a couple of weeks ago, I would stay away from them.

We do have bears and mountain lions, but have never seen one. They will try to avoid you.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBaker2011
There is plenty of flatness away from the mountains - they're called the plains for a reason...!!
They are much further away from the sun, with 100% oxygen and good hairdressers.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They are much further away from the sun, with 100% oxygen and good hairdressers.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute

I am now extremely concerned about my proximity to the sun ...
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBaker2011
I am now extremely concerned about my proximity to the sun ...
I'm fairly short so I think I'm OK
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fairly short so I think I'm OK
That's why the mountain people walk around on all fours.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by deepcpearl
That's why the mountain people walk around on all fours.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBennett
We will go down the route of a green card after we are settled. We have a 7 year L1A visa to start with.
I've only skimmed the rest of the thread, so somebody else may have mentioned it, but make sure you get it in writing from your company that they will sort your green cards within a certain date (preferably asap). If you've asked for the move, they may be reluctant to do so given that it will (a) cost them a lot of money; and (b) mean you can go and work for anybody else.

So get it in your contract, don't rely on a promise.

Good luck.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I've only skimmed the rest of the thread, so somebody else may have mentioned it, but make sure you get it in writing from your company that they will sort your green cards within a certain date (preferably asap). If you've asked for the move, they may be reluctant to do so given that it will (a) cost them a lot of money; and (b) mean you can go and work for anybody else.

So get it in your contract, don't rely on a promise.

Good luck.
The only problem might be that he's requesting the move and therefore not putting conditions on it. He should try though.

Originally Posted by ChrisBennett
Hi ~thanks Guys...Yes move will be perminant and the fam,ily are really excited. I requested teh move to the USA as we spend alot of time there. So as it is at my request no relocation allowance is there. I have asked them for info and details of companies used. Waiting their response. All I need to sort out early is a Bank account and a short term rental in October and then again in February. Any help would be amazing guys????
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I loved it when we lived in the western Denver suburbs. It should only take a week at most to get used to the altitude. Keep hydrated and it shouldn't be a problem. The winter weather isn't too bad most of the time and the roads get ploughed, so the traffic keeps moving for the most part. It does get a lot colder than the UK, but it's not that nasty damp cold that gets to your bones. I am not a skier, so wouldn't venture into the mountains in winter, but a lot of people are winter sports fans. If our stint in S. CA comes to an end, I would move back to the Denver suburbs in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 6:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem might be that he's requesting the move and therefore not putting conditions on it. He should try though.
Exactly. So they may not be willing to sort out the green cards, in which case, it ain't a permanent move after all!
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
I loved it when we lived in the western Denver suburbs. It should only take a week at most to get used to the altitude. Keep hydrated and it shouldn't be a problem. The winter weather isn't too bad most of the time and the roads get ploughed, so the traffic keeps moving for the most part. It does get a lot colder than the UK, but it's not that nasty damp cold that gets to your bones. I am not a skier, so wouldn't venture into the mountains in winter, but a lot of people are winter sports fans. If our stint in S. CA comes to an end, I would move back to the Denver suburbs in a heartbeat.
Took me three months or more to get used to the altitude - one or two trips to the emergency room and numerous bouts of vertigo. Doctor in the emergency room - and my own doctor - said it takes about two years because your entire body chemistry changes - kidneys, everything. I was shocked.

Many people do love it but they are mostly snow lovers.

Boulder/Golden - western suburb - not bad.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 4:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

People with major medical issues obviously need to take them into account moving anywhere.

For normal life at Denver altitude a day or so and you will be fine. Might be a bit longer at altitude.

I play Squash and am an old fart, took getting on for 4 weeks before I felt comfortable.

If you want snow, forget Denver.