Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Denver

Moving to Denver

Old Oct 1st 2019, 3:07 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Denver

Originally Posted by JJ84
Also, if anyone has an opinion on Denver vs Seattle/Bellevue that would be useful to know the main differences.
Yeah, take all the expense and traffic you find in Denver, then double it.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Denver is a hot market and I did not realise this was short term. I thought most regular rentals in Denver were a year minimum? so might be a complication. Not that you can not find something but may be a different market. Do you have someone helping you with this process.

There is a bigger difference in seasons than there is in Reading, more things to do in the Summer.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Not to put you off, but the beautiful outdoors of CO isn't particularly accessible. If you're living in Denver, expect a long traffic slog on any of the freeways to get to said beauty spots. When we'd leave work early on a Friday to get to our preferred Ski Resort, Keystone - it could take us at least two and a half hours depending on traffic and weather, even worse leaving on a Sunday and heading back down I-70.

Boiler is also right, we wanted to lease our last place for 10 months which they would allow, however they wanted an astronomical amount a month for the rent as it wasn't a 12/13 month lease.

Crime definitely seems to be on the up also due to the sheer amount of people flocking to the state and the weed, which obviously attracts unsavory people. Would also put some of it down to the fact there is now a Californian Democrat who is Governor of the state and is a complete and utter dickhead.

Denver saw largest rise in violent crime rate last year compared to other large cities < Denver Post Article.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
'Been in Denver since 2002.

Cherry Creek is where all the mansions are. Not sure I'd bother looking there.
Wash Park is another expensive area - lots of yuppies and hipsters and yoga barbies. Might find something there. Not a bad commute to downtown. You want to keep off I-25, 6th, and I-70. Stick to surface streets.
Capitol Hill is nice. I lived in Cheesman Park for 12 years. Loved it. Super close to downtown (mile and a half), but it's mainly apartments and condos.

Aurora is way too far from downtown - your commute would be miserable. Consider Lakewood, which is where we live, which is about ten minutes from downtown.
Also consider the Highlands and Little Five Points. That's being gentrified.
Vanilla-ton - I mean Littleton - is also too far. Ditto Highlands Ranch. Avoid the Tech Center - cause you'd have to take I-25 downtown.

Denver is great but is unfortunately starting to go downhill. After pot was legalized, people started flocking here. House prices and rent have gone through the roof.
Traffic is getting worse - we were up near Nederland with the dogs this weekend - and it looked like the Fourth of July scene in Jaws where hordes descend on Amity/Martha's Vineyard.
Little "secret" spots we enjoyed have now been discovered by the masses. Our favorite spot we call the Beaver Pond was overrun by foreigners and out-of-staters.

Anyway, the worst of it is Californification. These entitled morons are simply the worst. After messing up their own state with ridiculous liberal policies and ideologies, they are coming here in droves and bringing their nonsense with them, so they can eff up another state. Don't California our Colorado is the bumper sticker - but it's already too late.
They're changing the demographics and political landscape for the worse. It's very sad. We too are thinking of a move to Montana.
Yep, and get used to it. Your kind are being chased out, and I'm very happy about it. Hopefully you'll be happy in Montana, Texas, or some other red state where the 'demographics' are more to your liking and there are less 'foreigners' to deal with.

To the OP, I'd recommend staying within Denver if possible. There are some nice suburbs, but they're extremely suburby and pretty boring if you're not used to US suburban life, and you'll definitely need 2 cars. Places like Lakewood or Lone Tree or Highlands Ranch are basically a collection of shopping malls with no real distinguishing characteristics. Public transport is pretty limited here, but if you're commuting downtown from Cherry Creek, Wash Park, Cheesman Park, Cap Hill etc you could probably cycle, Lyft, bus, light rail etc and get by with just one car. With your budget, you should be OK if you look around. The market here is crazy, but it's definitely softening. I live in Wash Park, and it really is a fantastic area. Cherry Creek is great, and very walkable by Denver standards, although your budget won't stretch as far. A lot of families are moving to Stapleton, which isn't exactly hip, but there is a decent amount happening there. Credit rating will be a challenge, for both renting a home, and leasing a car. Make sure your employer are prepared to help you out, cosign etc.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 6:37 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

"Your kind"? Odious little twonk. Nothing I said is not demonstrably true. There's an influx of liberal/democrat morons from the Left Coast.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 7:24 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp
Yep, and get used to it. Your kind are being chased out, and I'm very happy about it. Hopefully you'll be happy in Montana, Texas, or some other red state where the 'demographics' are more to your liking and there are less 'foreigners' to deal with.
He probably shouldn't come here to Texas either in that case.

Perhaps West Virginia might be an option?
Old Oct 14th 2019, 7:50 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't live in Texas. I spent several miserable months there finishing my green card.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 7:51 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by Leslie
Good grief.
Hi, Leslie!
Old Oct 14th 2019, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

"Your kind"? Odious little twonk. Nothing I said is not demonstrably true. There's an influx of liberal/democrat morons from the Left Coast.
Yep, your kind. Bitter people who are angry that the world is changing so go on and on about liberals. Let me guess, anyone who doesn’t agree with you is a snowflake, right? The kind that speaks in code about ‘foreigners’ and ‘demographics’. Colorado is in an economic boom, and economic numbers seems to be the only thing that Conservatives find important, yet will still whine about change.

With the current administration, you genuinely believe that ‘Liberals’ are the morons? You honestly think someone like Walker Stapleton should have been governor? So yes, your kind aren’t feeling welcome in Denver anymore, and that’s a good thing. I’ve long been middle of the road, even slightly conservative leaning, but the fact that the Republican Party have gone so far right, and people like you still whine about liberals, means my tolerance for listening to your BS is non existent.

Last edited by pejp; Oct 14th 2019 at 10:27 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 12:03 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Leslie!
Hiya darlin'. Easy on the Texas bashing though ... we're not perfect but at least we still have oxygen in our air.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 1:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Denver is not in the mountains, down on the plain.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp

Yep, your kind. Bitter people who are angry that the world is changing so go on and on about liberals. Let me guess, anyone who doesn’t agree with you is a snowflake, right? The kind that speaks in code about ‘foreigners’ and ‘demographics’. Colorado is in an economic boom, and economic numbers seems to be the only thing that Conservatives find important, yet will still whine about change.

With the current administration, you genuinely believe that ‘Liberals’ are the morons? You honestly think someone like Walker Stapleton should have been governor? So yes, your kind aren’t feeling welcome in Denver anymore, and that’s a good thing. I’ve long been middle of the road, even slightly conservative leaning, but the fact that the Republican Party have gone so far right, and people like you still whine about liberals, means my tolerance for listening to your BS is non existent.
Everybody is bitter and angry because they believe all this Orwellian propaganda on the internet.

The current administration's policies are probably the most moderate since Gerry Ford or Jimmy Carter (last I heard he's taking the troops out of Syria) but keep drinking the Kool-Aide and keep your stomach in a knot.

Old Oct 15th 2019, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeepster
Everybody is bitter and angry because they believe all this Orwellian propaganda on the internet.

The current administration's policies are probably the most moderate since Gerry Ford or Jimmy Carter (last I heard he's taking the troops out of Syria) but keep drinking the Kool-Aide and keep your stomach in a knot.
Of all the ridiculous nonsense that Trump supporters come out with, the idea that it's all down to media propaganda, is the most absurd. We live in a time where politicians can speak directly to the public like never before. Literally all of my concerns with Trump are down to listening to him speak, reading his tweets, and observing his behaviour. I barely watch TV news.

Anyone who can watch one of his rallies, or listen to him speak for more than 2 or 3 minutes, and still think that he should be anywhere near public office, is a moron. It's that simple. The man is a disaster of a human being, and an absolute intellectual vacuum. I started out trying to understand 'the other side', but there comes a point where his supporters need to own what they support, so I have no time for them. It's nothing to do with drinking the media kool-aide. If anything, it's the opposite. Trump is basically a cult leader at this point. No amount of very obvious evidence will convince his supporters otherwise, so for that reason, I'm extremely hostile to them or anyone else who is concerned about 'liberals', in the current climate.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 9:28 pm
Peace onion

I agree with you Trump is a dangerous buffoon. Abandoning the Kurds/Peshmerga just beggars belief and is the worst foreign policy gaffe I can think of spanning decades.
But I disliked social marxists way before Trump - who is a re-branded NY liberal - I was born that way.

Anyway, back to the OP's question. Denver is nice. No one really queried OP on what is E2 visa was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.