British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Dallas - a little urgent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-dallas-little-urgent-533731/)

expatmatt May 1st 2008 10:18 pm

Moving to Dallas - a little urgent

Hi All,

I'm in negotiations with two companies offering me work in Plano, TX. One is offering more than the other, but the one offering less money is for a better company.

Anyway, the long and short of this is I need to agree figures with them in 24 hours, so if anyone can help me out with a few questions that would be good :)

I am looking to move over with my wife and two small children so need rough figures for these:

Rent of a 3 bed house in a nice area (monthly)
Gas for the month
Electricity for the month
Food for the month
TV / Phone / Internet for the month
Council Tax for the month

I've tried to find prices for these on the net, but no luck yet :(

TIA

Matt.

lisa67 May 1st 2008 10:27 pm

Re: Moving to Dallas - a little urgent

Hi Matt.
Welcome to BE. I've PM'd you. Hope it helps.:)

Octang Frye May 1st 2008 10:47 pm

What is this Council Tax of which you speak?
Property taxes? Utilities? If you're renting you wont need to pay property taxes.

chicagojlo May 1st 2008 11:20 pm

I love how so many British people think every other country has council tax!

Good luck anyway Matt.
Have visas been discussed btw because it's all moot otherwise? And whether or not they will pay for green card sponsorship as with 2 kids that gets expensive (and of course impossible if they won't sponsor you at all). Relocation and repatriation costs should also be considered as part of your decision if they are not offering the same.

MsElui May 1st 2008 11:23 pm

what type of visa are you on?

Lord Lionheart May 1st 2008 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 6295997)
what type of visa are you on?

He's not. He's still in negotiations to move to the US :rolleyes:

chicagojlo May 1st 2008 11:27 pm

Perhaps it should have been what kind of visa do you plan on being on...

Amandabee May 1st 2008 11:31 pm

Hi Matt we are in Houston, so not sure how comparable it would be for Dallas.

Rent (we think its expensive) at 1400 a month for an oldish 3 bed house.
Gas (depending on the time of year) but around 50 a month
Elec (again more expensive with aircon) but around 80 a month
Food (we like to make a lot of fresh stuff, so it can be a lot cheaper) probably 500 (but thats just for 2 of us)
TV/phone/internet and cable I think is 140 a month

Hope this helps

Amanda

chicagojlo May 1st 2008 11:31 pm

Don't forget cars - you will likely need two, and insurance for a newly landed peep is waaaaay expensive.

Sally Redux May 1st 2008 11:32 pm

Are you familiar with the way of life here at all before you make such a big move?

chicagojlo May 2nd 2008 12:02 am

I also forgot - of course - health insurance.

Dan725 May 2nd 2008 12:35 am

Look on www.realtor.com and click on the rentals tab, and put in Plano. I had a quick scan looking for a 5 bed/3 bath place in Plano (Got to get a Mcmansion in Tx :)) and it turned back a good few listings - not sure if this link'll work but if not just do it manually as described above.

http://www.realtor.com/rentals/searc...6&bth=6&typ=40

3/2 even more plentiful and cheaper:

http://www.realtor.com/rentals/searc...4&bth=4&typ=40

SagenOnion May 2nd 2008 12:42 am

Personally, I would consider moving somewhere else.

Big D May 2nd 2008 1:49 am

we loved Dallas the 3 years we were there - the costs really depend on where you live - gas will be a big expense as its a big city and you will be driving alot!

You are renting so no taxes - however we lived in a relatively posh area and taxes were $12k - but thats only if you own. You can get a nice apartment with pool etc for under $1500. plus you can live in a great area and buy a mansion for around $300k - peanuts compared to home.

If you have a house your utilities can top $500 or $600 a month when the aircon is going - smaller house or apartment will be much less.

Personally I would go for the better company but it depends what the difference is if its $10k pa no issue, if its $100k its an easier choice!

Good luck - and don't let people put you off Dallas - best 3 years of our lives!

Bob May 2nd 2008 2:46 am

If you ain't a USC or a LPR...and not currently employed by one of them for a company transfer, and unless it's for a university position, I wouldn't bother looking for further specifics because you ain't getting a visa...