Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dallas / Irving

Moving to Dallas / Irving

Old Aug 25th 2007, 5:44 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dallas / Irving

It's a he-friend, and sure, it could go back.... in fact I've done some of his family tree and it goes back to Northern Ireland.

Google on haitch catholic turns up loads of links!
Old Aug 25th 2007, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It's a he-friend, and sure, it could go back.... in fact I've done some of his family tree and it goes back to Northern Ireland.

Google on haitch catholic turns up loads of links!
I do know some non-Catholics who say it though - including a Jehovah's Witness.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 8:06 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I think Big Davy G said that too.
Who?
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:51 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else notice that after all this helpful advice (and lots of typical digression and thread-jacking) the OP hasn't returned?

Bloody typical!
Old Aug 25th 2007, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
Who?
The muppet
Old Aug 25th 2007, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

onedah is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Moving to Dallas / Irving

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Anyone else notice that after all this helpful advice (and lots of typical digression and thread-jacking) the OP hasn't returned?

Bloody typical!
I'm still hear but not been around for the past few days as we are in the process of moving from our rental place in the UK. I'm sure you can understand that we are rushed off our feet.

To everyone who has replied to my post many thanks for all the advise. we are taking it in and reviewing.

We have just booked our flights and will arrive in Dallas win 3 weeks, and looking forward to the move.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 5:44 pm
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onedah
I'm still hear but not been around for the past few days as we are in the process of moving from our rental place in the UK. I'm sure you can understand that we are rushed off our feet.

To everyone who has replied to my post many thanks for all the advise. we are taking it in and reviewing.

We have just booked our flights and will arrive in Dallas win 3 weeks, and looking forward to the move.
Let us all know how it goes, and where you choose to live etc!

Hope it all goes smoothly...
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:06 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali_j
Let us all know how it goes, and where you choose to live etc!

Hope it all goes smoothly...
I'll second that. Tell us when you arrive, and perhaps we can arrange to meet up for a beer and a curry!
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:07 pm
Arrogant ****

Hehe! I hope you understand that my post was a joke. I remember all too well how insanely busy the lead-up to the move was for us!

Good luck with the move. I'm sure it'll be a grand adventure!
Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the move. Hope it all goes well.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Question Temporary Insurance

Guys,

Just realised that we wont be insured during the time I arrive in US and the time I start my new job. This period is 5 weeks. I do have UK travel insurance which covers me for trip in the US for up to 60 days but I dont think this will be valid as we wont be traveling back.

I have spoken to HR of my company in the US and have been told that she will look into this but not sure they will come back with any thing sensible.

What have others done in the situation?

Thanks

O
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:05 pm
Arrogant ****

Default Re: Temporary Insurance

Guys,

Just realised that we wont be insured during the time I arrive in US and the time I start my new job. This period is 5 weeks. I do have UK travel insurance which covers me for trip in the US for up to 60 days but I dont think this will be valid as we wont be traveling back.

I have spoken to HR of my company in the US and have been told that she will look into this but not sure they will come back with any thing sensible.

Thanks

O
Looking back on it, I think we crossed our fingers and hoped. But then we were only here a week or two before I started work.

Don't get me started on HR departments and health insurance!

At least you have travel insurance, which is more than we did.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Guys,

Thanks

O
Hoped we didn't get sick

We rather stupidly expected my husbands company to have sorted this stuff out when we arrived - the contract stated 100% medical and dental coverage, but they didn't tell us they didn't pay benefits until you'd been there a few months.

In fact, they never did officially tell us that, they just kept giving us the run around about when coverage would start. I got a bad infection and rang around the doctors and it was $150 just to be seen.

We took the children to the local health department office and got them their immunisations for school for $5 each. We were very lucky we didn't have an emergency. It taught me a very valuable lesson about not relying on other people to arrange things for us.

Good luck, I hope you get it all sorted out. We left Dallas a month ago and while there were many reasons I wanted to leave, there are a lot of things I am missing now (lovely sunsets, beautiful big sky, brilliant shopping, fantastic food, more shopping, coming out of the cinema at night and it still being hot, even in November......)
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

Guys,

Thanks

O
I found it extremely difficult to get cover for that period of time. However, say you are involved in an accident when you arrive you could be talking many thousands of dollars for treatment. Eventually I got a policy through the people who do "International Autosource".
Old Sep 10th 2007, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to Dallas / Irving - UPDATE

All,

I thought I would post a quick update of our progress so far.

1. I have managed to open a savings and checking account with wells fargo, or shall I say my father in law who lives in CA got one opened for me via his bank manager.

2. American express wont send a credit card out without a confirmed address which you need a boill to prove its confirmed. And they will only give me a $5000 limit (I have over £15K in the UK).

3. Still struggling with a realtor.

4.We fly out this Thursay and are staying at a marriot in Plano.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.