Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dallas / Irving

Moving to Dallas / Irving

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:09 pm
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dallas / Irving

Originally Posted by Leslie66
<snort>

Because pushy and aggressive is so much better than stupid and childish.

They drive like bastards in New York ... numerous cabbies have attempted to kill me there.
Well, here's my reasoning -- aggressive, but they know the rules of the road and where they are going -- are also giving driving their full attention, which helps...

I'd prefer aggressive and pushy but good driver any day over stupid and not paying attention ... at least you know what you are getting with the former & can plan for it.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali_j
II agree with this comment; warning to your wife & yourself to drive in Texas as if you are under attack -- there's no rules in Texas driving ... except to come out on top...and alive...
That is exactly it! It's very much every man for himself on the roads (or at least it was in Garland and surrounding areas) and you learn quite quickly, that indicating that you want to change lane is just an invitation for some knob to cut you off, just because driving seems to be a bit of a competition all the time, have to be first, can't let anyone out, musn't let anyone past, have to get through the lights as fast as you can, even if it's not safe, to beat the red light.

We've been in Edmonton a month now and cannot get used to people letting us out at junctions, letting you into lanes in front of them etc. All very polite and totally shocking after four years in Texas
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Well, i thought it was particularly bad in Texas .. have changed my mind.
stupid, aggressive, but probably unarmed.... unless you count the vehicle as a weapon.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

I haven't seen any pay-as-you-go phones with SIM cards. In fact, few phones here have SIM cards at all, from what I've seen.

TracPhone, Virgin Mobile and Verizon do pay-as-you-go handsets that I've seen in Target, Walmart and even grocery stores. It's a quick, cheap solution for the first weeks, until you're settled and you can get your credit sorted out.
Tracfone also have a sim card based phones these days, but the T&C's aren't as good as they use to be, probably better off with a ATT jobby these days.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

onedah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Tracfone also have a sim card based phones these days, but the T&C's aren't as good as they use to be, probably better off with a ATT jobby these days.
The AT&T one I looked at had a $1 connect fee per active day of use, sounded rather steep? Vigin also offer a PAYG but not sure on coverage.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:25 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onedah
The AT&T one I looked at had a $1 connect fee per active day of use, sounded rather steep? Vigin also offer a PAYG but not sure on coverage.
My daughter had a PAYG Virgin phone we bought at Target. No probs with coverage, she wanted a flashier phone so we switched her to our plan with AT&T. Can't find the Virgin top-up cards very easily at gas stations but can top-up online, so that's not a problem. The AT&T ones are called "Go phones" on their website.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
My daughter had a PAYG Virgin phone we bought at Target. No probs with coverage, she wanted a flashier phone so we switched her to our plan with AT&T. Can't find the Virgin top-up cards very easily at gas stations but can top-up online, so that's not a problem. The AT&T ones are called "Go phones" on their website.

We have Virgin phones and I have one of their plans which was really simple to set up the OH has the pay as you go and we top his up on line whenever he needs more minutes. We are not big cell phone users so this suits us fine!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, here's my reasoning -- aggressive, but they know the rules of the road and where they are going -- are also giving driving their full attention, which helps...

I'd prefer aggressive and pushy but good driver any day over stupid and not paying attention ... at least you know what you are getting with the former & can plan for it.
me to...at least you know they are paying attention and not doing 101 other thangs while attempting to drive their ve-hicle
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

englishinusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Some people recommended Grapevine ...

We've lived in Grapevine for 6 years, and we really like it there. It's kind-of old-worldy around main street (check out the town jail from 1903 - most amusing). We live on the southern edge of Grapevine, just north of Colleyville (which is also nice but very expensive). A lot of new building going on, both homes and new stores.

Grapevine was recently listed as the #97 place in America to live by CNN Money (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...00/index4.html) ... and Dallas was listed #5 in big cities on the same survey.

Some other people also recommended buying a car ... it's been some years since I did that, but I believe you need a social security number to register or insure a car. The SSN may take some weeks to come through, so you may need to plan on medium-term car rental.

I drive from Grapevine to Plano to work each day along the George Bush. My drive is pretty easy (30 miles in 35 minutes, except in the depths of rush hour when it takes maybe 45 minutes); drivers going the other way have a rough time of it, especially between I-35 and the Dallas North Tollway. If you're working in Irving, living in Plano will be an irritating commute.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:56 am
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
me to...at least you know they are paying attention and not doing 101 other thangs while attempting to drive their ve-hicle
it always makes me giggle when they say ve-HIC-le ... I'll never get used to it!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:42 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

it always makes me giggle when they say ve-HIC-le ... I'll never get used to it!
It is horrible. Please don't ever say it that way. Please. I BEG OF YOU!!!!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 5:10 am
Lapine Member

alright how is "vehicular" properly pronounced?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 5:14 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

alright how is "vehicular" properly pronounced?
Silent haitch
Old Aug 24th 2007, 5:19 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Sally
Silent haitch
yeh but wha 'bout the "e" in front? "eeee" or "eh"?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 5:22 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

yeh but wha 'bout the "e" in front? "eeee" or "eh"?
I dont know what the correct pronunciation is. I say vee-ic-le

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.