Reload this Page >

Moving to CT with a 13 and 19 year old

Moving to CT with a 13 and 19 year old

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Trish S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to CT with a 13 and 19 year old

Originally Posted by Owen778
Honestly, Jerseygirl's statement is what everyone reading your thread is thinking. Bringing a 13yo could probably work out, as long as you worked out a way to account for the education system differences, but bringing the 19yo to not work or go to college would just be awful for all concerned.
Maybe, but it doesn't help an already difficult situation. It's not what I would want for my children, but I don't think we have much choice in the matter. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place, which is why I'm trying to get as much ADVISE as possible. I already know it's not ideal and am having a hard time already.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trish S
Maybe, but it doesn't help an already difficult situation. It's not what I would want for my children, but I don't think we have much choice in the matter. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place, which is why I'm trying to get as much ADVISE as possible. I already know it's not ideal and am having a hard time already.
So, you want advice? Stay in the UK until you have settled your daughter either into full time study, or a career-worthy job. If your husband still wants to take the job, he should come ahead of you.

I don't see any easy way to get your 19 year old daughter onto a path towards success in life if you bring her to the US, unless you have the money to fund degree-level studies for her. ..... think $30,000+/yr, though she could start with a couple of years at a community college at a much lower cost, but she will likely find some of the work at duplication of what she studied several years ago, as she will be expected to do English and maths no matter what degree she enrolls for.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 23rd 2016 at 7:00 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
This is an excellent private school in the city adjacent to Ridgefield that was attended by my friend's son. They are familiar with working with international students.

Wooster School: International Students
Thanks again. You are a great source of information.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. I don't think you'd told us before that it's a difficult situation. That isn't very clear, though. Do you mean that he can either move or lose his job?

If so, I suspect your best bet may be for your husband to negotiate extra time off and/or some time each month working from the UK, plus paid flights back to the UK, and the rest of the family stay where you are. Not an ideal solution, but probably preferable to bringing a 19yo to do nothing in the US.

What was the 19yo planning to do if you didn't move to the US? Attend a UK university or vocational training? Start work?
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:20 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

When we'd moved to the US 9 years ago, I was on here moaning, I too expressed I felt we had no choice... someone on here gave me a good reality check. I was pissed off at the time, but in hindsight it was a wonderful statement, and something that I've referred back to many times over the years.

It went along the lines of "you do have a choice, you just don't like it. You are choosing to live in a 3 bed detached house, with your 2 cars, and 2 weeks vacation. You could chose to live in a terrace in the UK, get the bus and have a weekend in Great Yarmouth"

Moving away from everyone and everything you know is hard, way harder than you can ever imagine. Virtually everyone on this site has done it, some make it a success, others chose to go back, others just live with regrets and feel stuck in one place or another. No-one gives advise to hurt, or make life more difficult, if you ask for advise on a board people are going to give it, you're not forced to like what you hear.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone. The info has been very helpful.
Bye for now. 🙂