Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to CT with a 13 and 19 year old

Moving to CT with a 13 and 19 year old

Old Aug 20th 2016, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Trish S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to CT with a 13 and 19 year old

My husband has been asked to relocate to CT to work. We have a 13 and 19 year old and I need some help from you lovely lot.
I have been looking at Ridgefield and around Fairfield County as that's where he'll be based. Any tips or advise would be warmly received. I'm up for looking at all areas. Thanks in advance 🤗
Old Aug 20th 2016, 11:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to CT with a 13 and 19 year old

What visa type is your husband getting? Most likely an L-1A, or perhaps L-1B, either way your 19 year old would only get at L-2 which prohibits working for a dependent child, and he/she will age-out on their 21st birthday and have to leave unless they can qualify for their own visa. Unless your husband's employer has a written commitment to apply for green cards for you pretty much immediately after you arrive, you will put your 19 year old on a track to being "sent home" on their 21st birthday.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 1:37 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trish S
My husband has been asked to relocate to CT to work. We have a 13 and 19 year old and I need some help from you lovely lot.
I have been looking at Ridgefield and around Fairfield County as that's where he'll be based. Any tips or advise would be warmly received. I'm up for looking at all areas. Thanks in advance 🤗
Ridgefield is a great community with excellent schools. I used to live there and am now a couple of towns over, but still go there regularly. It certainly isn't cheap to live there, but if you have the budget, it's a good place to raise a family. Adjacent Wilton also ticks all the same boxes. Fire away with the questions!
Old Aug 21st 2016, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys. That's all really helpful. We have a call with the solicitor on Friday re visas so will know more then.
I've been looking also at Bridgeport. Some schools are really poor and other are really highly ranked. They also have an international baccauleariate school there which I'm thinking might be better for my son as we are only out there for 3-5 years.
Also, you get a lot more house for your money. I know there must be a reason, especially as it's on the coast. Can anyone enlighten me please. Need as much info before September as we are flying over for a pre decision visit.
Thanks so much. 😊
Old Aug 21st 2016, 11:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you're only coming for 3-5 years, buying a house is likely to be an expensive proposition because the round trip costs of buying and selling are quite high - around 10% of the final selling price - the seller pays the "realtor" (estate agent) fee which is typically 6% and it is quite likely that house prices won't appreciate fast enough to cover the cost of selling. A neighbour of mine who lived in CT briefly (he is an IT contractor) complained that owning a home there, and selling after three years cost him $60,000!

Then owning a house is expensive too, for two reasons, firstly in CT (as in other states in New England and the North East) the property tax is much higher than in the UK. You could easily be facing a property tax bill of $6,000 a year, or more.

Then there are the costs of repairs and maintenance - repairs are a fact of life for American home owners in a way that is unexpected for a home owner from Britain. There just seems to be so much on an American home to go wrong or wear out - not least the roof, which typically only lasts around 20 years, and will cost probably $15,000-$20,000 to replace (metal roofs are becoming more popular, and last much longer), the heating and AC (not all homes in CT have AC) systems often don't even last as long as the roof, but cost about as much to replace. Other smaller issues with plumbing, the electrical system, doors, windows, and paint/ woodwork are just relentless.

I do a lot of the repairs and maintenance myself, even some that others would call a tradesman for - such as dealing with a plumbing leak one evening two weeks ago. Luckily I live close enough to a DIY store to get parts and I had the experience and the tools to fix it that evening. I sometimes joke that my house isn't just a home, it's a hobby too, except that thirteen years after we bought this house, the joke is wearing a bit thin.

Needless to say, if you rent a home, the property taxes and expected repairs and maintenance are rolled into the rent.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 21st 2016 at 11:39 am.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 1:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. That's all really helpful. We have a call with the solicitor on Friday re visas so will know more then.
I've been looking also at Bridgeport. Some schools are really poor and other are really highly ranked. They also have an international baccauleariate school there which I'm thinking might be better for my son as we are only out there for 3-5 years.
Also, you get a lot more house for your money. I know there must be a reason, especially as it's on the coast. Can anyone enlighten me please. Need as much info before September as we are flying over for a pre decision visit.
Thanks so much. 😊
What is the 19yr old going to do? He cannot work and as already said if there is no greencard he will have to leave the US when he reaches 21.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 1:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Trish,

Are you thinking the 19 year old will attend college? Make sure that's allowed on an L2. And if it is, keep in mind he will need an F1 visa to attend school in the USA after age 21.

Rene
Old Aug 21st 2016, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Trish,

Are you thinking the 19 year old will attend college? Make sure that's allowed on an L2. And if it is, keep in mind he will need an F1 visa to attend school in the USA after age 21.

Rene
I looked into community college classes in AZ when on my L2. I was definitely allowed to study, but there was a grey area as to whether I could be classified as in-resident for tuition. No one seemed quite sure and I was quite close at that point to getting a green card, so I dropped it in favor of waiting a while. As always in the US, this'll be something that'll vary by state/ city/ college, so would definitely need checking up front if college classes were in the plan.

OP, what is your 19 yr old doing now - studying, working? Whatever it is, does s/he really want to disrupt it, and potentially derail their early adulthood prospects for education/ career/ friends/ love life, just to move to the US on a very temporary basis?
Old Aug 21st 2016, 2:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much. 😊
No, you do not want to live in Bridgeport! Suitable towns, besides Ridgefield, would be Wilton, Weston, New Caanan, Redding, Westport. There, your younger child will get a good education at the public (town) schools.

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Then owning a house is expensive too, for two reasons, firstly in CT (as in other states in New England and the North East) the property tax is much higher than in the UK. You could easily be facing a property tax bill of $6,000 a year, or more.
Actually, you can safely double that number in the towns that I recommend.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 2:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Actually, you can safely double that number in the towns that I recommend.
I thought $6K was extremely low. I would think for a 3/4 bedroomed house in a good area of the NE it would be more like three times that amount per year. We were paying a 5 figure sum in NJ. Home ownership is not as good an investment as it is in the UK.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 3:02 pm

..... Actually, you can safely double that number in the towns that I recommend.
I thought that might be the case, but having never lived there, and it's been 14 years since I looked at buying there, I didn't want to overstate the number.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 1:11 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

No, you do not want to live in Bridgeport! Suitable towns, besides Ridgefield, would be Wilton, Weston, New Caanan, Redding, Westport. There, your younger child will get a good education at the public (town) schools.
I agree. Avoid Bridgeport at all costs! I have a relative in the bordering town of Fairfield, and even the Bridgeport side of Fairfield is iffy. The towns Nutmegger mentions are good, with consistently good schools.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:29 am
Just Joined

This is all great info. I really appreciate it. Please keep it coming. I really want a good insight before we come for our pre decision visit on September 1st.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I agree. Avoid Bridgeport at all costs! I have a relative in the bordering town of Fairfield, and even the Bridgeport side of Fairfield is iffy.
I had a pizza delivered to a residential address near Bridgeport hospital. The delivery driver phoned my number and requested that I come out to his car to collect it. Yup, avoid at all costs.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scott33
I had a pizza delivered to a residential address near Bridgeport hospital. The delivery driver phoned my number and requested that I come out to his car to collect it. Yup, avoid at all costs.
Got it!! Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.