Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to Conneticut from UK - any advice?

moving to Conneticut from UK - any advice?

Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Stacey p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Conneticut from UK - any advice?

Hi guys!

Myself, Hubby and 2 kids are moving to Conneticut in the new year. We have never visited this part of the world before, does anybody have any advice on good schools, things to do for adults and kids, what the areas are like, or have even moved out there themselves from UK?.....any advice is welcomed

Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Conneticut from UK - any advice?

Originally Posted by Stacey p
Hi guys!

Myself, Hubby and 2 kids are moving to Conneticut in the new year. We have never visited this part of the world before, does anybody have any advice on good schools, things to do for adults and kids, what the areas are like, or have even moved out there themselves from UK?.....any advice is welcomed

Thanks
Hi Stacey, Welcome to BE

Lots of sites online for finding out the info you need, you can go to city data.com for the area info and greatschools.net to find info on all the schools in your district, if you don't know where you will be yet, this site will help you find good schools in areas that you might be thinking about

Good luck, I know there must be members that live in CT on here, they will be able to give you more specific help
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys!

Thanks
Where in Connecticut? Nobody can give you school advice until you decide what city or town you'll live in. In general it is an affluent state, and the part of CT near New York City (eg. Stamford and Greenwich) is particularly expensive.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 10:01 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of answers in the WIKI section. The schools bit is here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...kids_in_school

note: jabs are pretty important, so pay attention to that bit.

As for more specifics, try the search on this forum as many of the things have been discussed, even I think a few "Connecticut" threads. That might give you a few answers, but probably a few more questions as well so feel free to post them as you continue your research.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:USA
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:USA_Lifestyle
Old Oct 15th 2009, 10:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys!

Thanks
Hello and welcome to BE.

Is it not possible for you to come over for a week or so for a bit of a reccie? I can't imagine moving to a place I've never been to before.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 11:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys!

Thanks
Welcome!
Are you coming over with your job? Areas to look at might be narrowed down by commute times.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:24 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a pfizeriser, PM me, or even looking toward New London area,
if you are a pfizeriser, (Bristol is not the norm) most Brits end up in East Lyme, very good schools, and they are used to British kids being ahead, so they tend to try them in the year above, and go with the child from then, some British kids hate it, cos they are a year younger and the kids won't make friend with them, some hate it cos the lessons are boring them as they are more advanced, so they put them up another year (point being all the kids are advanced from the UK) the school is very accommodating from what I hear.
Also the Schools in East Lyme have a fair few British teachers.
I have preschooler, so can't really say from experience, but my boys would be at school in the UK now, but they will be nearly 6 when they start next year here...very worried if Hubby loses job as they will be so far behind!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:31 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
There are a lot of answers in the WIKI section. The schools bit is here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...kids_in_school

note: jabs are pretty important, so pay attention to that bit.

As for more specifics, try the search on this forum as many of the things have been discussed, even I think a few "Connecticut" threads. That might give you a few answers, but probably a few more questions as well so feel free to post them as you continue your research.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:USA
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:USA_Lifestyle
Oh yes, start the Hep b jabs NOW! also if you kids have had chicken pox, make sure it is documented and in a doctors letter, if not they need the chicken pox vac and that costs..about a year ago 30 pounds! but I just bet your GP adds a private prescription charge:
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:38 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Bring mittens?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:32 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
If you are a pfizeriser, PM me, or even looking toward New London area,
if you are a pfizeriser, (Bristol is not the norm) most Brits end up in East Lyme, very good schools, and they are used to British kids being ahead, so they tend to try them in the year above, and go with the child from then, some British kids hate it, cos they are a year younger and the kids won't make friend with them, some hate it cos the lessons are boring them as they are more advanced, so they put them up another year (point being all the kids are advanced from the UK) the school is very accommodating from what I hear.
Also the Schools in East Lyme have a fair few British teachers.
I have preschooler, so can't really say from experience, but my boys would be at school in the UK now, but they will be nearly 6 when they start next year here...very worried if Hubby loses job as they will be so far behind!
Are they coming from England or Lake Woebegone?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My advice, DON'T

Hi guys!

Thanks
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Are they coming from England or Lake Woebegone?
It's not always true MOK that the kids are further ahead when coming from UK schools, My oldest had his first 3 years at school in the UK, he was almost 8 when we got here, I had heard that he would be way more advanced in his education than the kids here, not true, they tested him to see which grade to put him in, turned out he was almost 18 months behind the other kids here

I know this isn't always the case, but neither is your suggestion either. Mine is not the only kid to have been behind in education when they got here.

It's safer to suggest that 'maybe' this could happen rather than it 'usually' happens, just saying...
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:33 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
My advice, DON'T
Really? It's that crappy?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Really? It's that crappy?

not the state but the state of the economy/country at the moment.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:45 am
member of little note

Originally Posted by Englishtart
It's not always true MOK that the kids are further ahead when coming from UK schools, My oldest had his first 3 years at school in the UK, he was almost 8 when we got here, I had heard that he would be way more advanced in his education than the kids here, not true, they tested him to see which grade to put him in, turned out he was almost 18 months behind the other kids here

I know this isn't always the case, but neither is your suggestion either. Mine is not the only kid to have been behind in education when they got here.

It's safer to suggest that 'maybe' this could happen rather than it 'usually' happens, just saying...
Sorry, I thought I had made it clear that, I am not sure, as my kids aren't at school, and this is what I have been told here, by British teacher's and parents in East Lyme, it is my only point of reference, most teens are considered, advanced 2 years above their peers, so they put them a year up, knowing by experience, that only a few will want to stay up, and even fewer want to go another year up, and most European kids want to stay in their year group, despite boredom in lessons.
The biggest difference is apparently Elementary school, where children aren't really aware of age.
My boys in the UK would have started school this September and really they are not ready, very young for their age, apparently this is a twin thing? a boy thing? and they were preemie?
My worry is! if we have to return to the UK in the next 12 months, they will be behind.
forgive me? but I am good at the knowledge stuff, but I really, can't do the reading and spelling stuff!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.