Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Conneticut looking at Ridgefield, Wilton or Westport?

Moving to Conneticut looking at Ridgefield, Wilton or Westport?

Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:35 pm
FAA
Just Joined

FAA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Conneticut looking at Ridgefield, Wilton or Westport?

Hi just wondering if anyone out there lives in any of these towns? We are from the UK but have been in the USA Midwest for 3 years and about to move over to Conneticut. Have picked Ridgefield, Wilton or Westport as close to Norwalk (where my husband will work from) and all have good school districts. Looking for a nice town, small (but not too quiet) and friendly, to make the move as easy as possible on our children (elementary school age). Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Will be renting not buying and doesn't seem much on the market to rent in Ridgefield at the moment.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

meshwill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Conneticut looking at Ridgefield, Wilton or Westport?

Hi,
We are from the UK and moved to CT last week!! we too had a look at Wilton and Weston but settled for Ridgefield and boy am I glad we did!! it is a super town, schools are all fab, everyone is soooo friendly and I would reccomend it to anyone!.
We've visited Wilton and it's nice house wise but there is no town centre and it's pretty spread out, also look at school years (grades) as my kids went into grades 2 and 5 which in Wilton meant seperate schools, in Ridgefield my two go to the same school for one year until the eldest goes to middle school which makes life so much easier especially having moved them from UK and all their friends.
First day at school today and they both gave it 10/10!! yeah!
When we came over to sort a rental we had a choice of 3 houses, but two were pretty grotty inside, we have now got a beautiful house and are very happy!.
If I can help you further just send me a p/message and I can give you details of who we used, places to look and school info etc.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

As Meshwill says, Ridgefield is a great town for families, with a top-rated school system. The commute to Norwalk is a little further than from Westport or Wilton, but it's worth the extra time in the car. I lived in Ridgefield for a decade and still work there, so fire away with any questions.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:32 pm
FAA
Just Joined

Thank you both for the good advice, hopefully we can find a house in Ridgefield then which was actually my preference anyway. Lets hope some good rental properties come on the the market in the next few weeks!
Nutmegger one question how long do you think the drive would be to Norwalk? Near Merritt Parkway I think? Just wondering what it would be like particulary in the winter, not sure what your winters are like but we are moving from Chicago so we are used to brutal weather!
And , just one more! Where would the nearest hospital be to Ridgefield, if we move over when we are planning do I will be 8 weeks away from having a baby so probably need to think about that as well!!

Last edited by FAA; Sep 2nd 2010 at 2:36 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FAA
Thank you both for the good advice, hopefully we can find a house in Ridgefield then which was actually my preference anyway. Lets hope some good rental properties come on the the market in the next few weeks!
Nutmegger one question how long do you think the drive would be to Norwalk? Near Merritt Parkway I think? Just wondering what it would be like particulary in the winter, not sure what your winters are like but we are moving from Chicago so we are used to brutal weather!
And , just one more! Where would the nearest hospital be to Ridgefield, if we move over when we are planning do I will be 8 weeks away from having a baby so probably need to think about that as well!!
Is your OH going to be at the Merritt Seven complex near the parkway? Probably 30 minutes. I haven't been down that way in a while, so there's a proviso that it would be longer if they are working on improving Route 7 (which they seemed to do for years and years!). However, there are back roads that take one almost down to the Merritt, which I'm sure co-workers would be happy to describe. I think half an hour sounds good.

Yes, we get some snow, but if you're used to Chicago, I'm sure it won't phase you! Of course, you'd add time to the commute on a bad day.

Ridgefield is served by Danbury Hospital. About 15 to 20 minutes away. It seems to be a good hospital. I've had outpatient treatment there and they were great.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

CTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to all

Hi, We live in Fairfield which is not too far away; good schools, access to NYC trains/highways and close to the water. A bigger town than the others you are looking at but an interesting demographic mix also.
Watch out for property taxes in this neck of the woods...those good schools don't come cheap
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

CTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to allCTland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Yes, we get some snow, but if you're used to Chicago, I'm sure it won't phase you! Of course, you'd add time to the commute on a bad day.
Also the Merritt can be a demarcation line on winter weather- water side can get sleet/rain mix while inland it would be greater accumulations of snow.
We had some unusual wind storms earlier this year which knocked power out inland for upto a week in some towns (generator sales did well!)
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by CTland
Also the Merritt can be a demarcation line on winter weather- water side can get sleet/rain mix while inland it would be greater accumulations of snow.
We had some unusual wind storms earlier this year which knocked power out inland for upto a week in some towns (generator sales did well!)
Yes, it's you win some, you lose some -- the coast gets the brunt of the leftover hurricanes, the interior is prone to get more snow in the winter nor-easters, though that isn't always the case. And power outages are indeed a fact of life -- but they can come from a summer thunderstorm, an early fall ice storm -- all kinds of reasons besides snowfall. The usual cause is trees coming down over the lines, and crews work year-round to try to keep the trees trimmed back.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CTland
Hi, We live in Fairfield which is not too far away; good schools, access to NYC trains/highways and close to the water. A bigger town than the others you are looking at but an interesting demographic mix also.
Watch out for property taxes in this neck of the woods...those good schools don't come cheap
Don't know Fairfield too well, but think I understand what you mean by it having more interesting demographics. I work in Stamford and have colleagues who live in Fairfield who like it.

I'm a little biased, but personally find the Ridgefield/Wilton/Weston/Westport/Easton/New Canaan zone too, well, how do I put it, sterile ? Kind of like commuter belt Surrey. Very nice lifestyle, great facilities, great standard of living, great schools (but with crazy competitive parents) but ultimately imho all rather vacuous.

Of course I'm sure there are plenty of nice people living in those towns, but they may not suit everyone.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Don't know Fairfield too well, but think I understand what you mean by it having more interesting demographics. I work in Stamford and have colleagues who live in Fairfield who like it.

I'm a little biased, but personally find the Ridgefield/Wilton/Weston/Westport/Easton/New Canaan zone too, well, how do I put it, sterile ? Kind of like commuter belt Surrey. Very nice lifestyle, great facilities, great standard of living, great schools (but with crazy competitive parents) but ultimately imho all rather vacuous.

Of course I'm sure there are plenty of nice people living in those towns, but they may not suit everyone.
Got it in one!! To be fair some of Fairfield also falls into the above; but after 10 years thro the school system the competitiveness can leave you somewhat jaded.
My kid is a senior in high school and is insisting on going to college in the UK........
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:28 pm
FAA
Just Joined

Thanks for the heads up on the area, I had suspected it. We are living in the West Suburbs of Chicago at the moment and its very Stepford Wives! A lot of ultra competitive super scheduled mega fit 'Moms' however I have learnt how to avoid these and found that there are nice more normal folk around if you look hard enough! New Canaan I feel would definately be too much for us but I had been told that out of all of them Ridgefield was the friendliest so I am putting that at the top of my list.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

meshwill is an unknown quantity at this point

have found many friendly people so far in Ridgefield (including me!!) not so much stepford wives but you may feel out of it if you don't have a 4X4!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by FAA
We are living in the West Suburbs of Chicago at the moment and its very Stepford Wives!
I don't know if I've ever met anyone that I would describe as a Stepford Wife -- but I have no doubt they are out there! It all depends on the circles that you move in, and if that's not your style, there's no need to hang with people like that -- there are too many interesting people to meet to get involved with a "set" that doesn't fit your lifestyle and preferences.

But yes, I do have a 4 x 4!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:24 pm
FAA
Just Joined

Oh no I have a minivan I'll have to forget the move!!! My husband has a ford explorer though so does that count???
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

VivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura about

Ridgefield has been voted the best most beautiful town in Ct.

Westport is a very nice place but many of the people are too snooty.Also the beautiful towns near by are much that way, A lot of very wealthy people live in that area and you will find home prices very high and also the taxes. Though on the other hand,there are nice people wherever you go and it is a great place to live.

Ct is a wonderful place to live in the right towns.Only down side is the Winters but perhaps that isn't something that bothers you.

Good Luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.