Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving Companies... Who did you use?

Moving Companies... Who did you use?

Old May 3rd 2012, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

JessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant future
Default Moving Companies... Who did you use?

Just had my first moving consultation thanks to a recommendation from a member on here.

Nigel from GB Liners came over and he was brill. Very informative.

Just wondering which other companies I should get quotes from?

Does anybody have any recommendations?

(If location helps- I'm in the West Midlands currently and moving to New York).

THANKS!
Old May 3rd 2012, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really nice
Default Re: Moving Companies... Who did you use?

I can recommend Graebel ( http://www.movemyhouse.com/ ). We lived way out on the countryside (the local packers had a 100 mile drive to get to our house), but they arranged with local packing/shipping/container companies for a seamless end to end delivery. All of our stuff made the trip, and the few things damaged were easily repaired.
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get quotes from as many as you can...ask who they sub the US end of the operations to, and check that outfit out....
Old May 4th 2012, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really nice

When we moved last year we used Atlas (company sponsored so we went with the company they use), who used Fox International (http://www.fox-moving.com/) and found them to be very good.
Old May 4th 2012, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

I used Anglo Pacific - they were great - door to door delivery and very cheap
Old May 4th 2012, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

JessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant future

My main issue with moving quotes at the moment is calculating how many boxes we will actually have. Just had a quote from Anglo Pacific and they were very cheap but it's all based on my own calculations...
Old May 4th 2012, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Get quotes from as many as you can...ask who they sub the US end of the operations to, and check that outfit out....
Am definitely trying to get as many quotes as possible... because even if I don't pursue much further with that company I can use for intent to domicile.
Old May 5th 2012, 12:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JessicaKate
My main issue with moving quotes at the moment is calculating how many boxes we will actually have. Just had a quote from Anglo Pacific and they were very cheap but it's all based on my own calculations...
Then avoid them. Any company that doesn't send someone out to eyeball your contents for a quote will likely end in tears.
Old May 5th 2012, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Then avoid them. Any company that doesn't send someone out to eyeball your contents for a quote will likely end in tears.
Thats exactly what I was thinking! I know that my "load" may not be as profitable as a full house but I sent out requests for quotes to about 5 places on Thursday. One said they would call back in 2 hours... still haven't heard a peep from them. Asked for free quotations in home from all and some have just emailed quotes. The only company thus far that has cared to contact me and come out for a quote is GB Liners. If I don't hear concrete answers from some after the bank holiday then I will call and specifically ask for them to come out and analyze what I need to ship.

After getting quotes can I ask them to re-analyze the quote? As we're going back to the States before we move we want to bring some of our stuff back as luggage. Will they re-analyze the quote before hand or just adjust it after they pack our stuff?
Old May 5th 2012, 1:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

After getting quotes can I ask them to re-analyze the quote? As we're going back to the States before we move we want to bring some of our stuff back as luggage. Will they re-analyze the quote before hand or just adjust it after they pack our stuff?
You'd have to ask them. They're all different. If you mention stuff you're planning on taking as hand luggage though, they should factor that into the quote.
Old May 5th 2012, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

We used GB Liners and they were absolutely fabulous. They were hard working, respectful and polite and certainly did not slack. All our things arrived safe and sound in Phoenix with no breakages.

Good luck
Old May 5th 2012, 11:58 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You'd have to ask them. They're all different. If you mention stuff you're planning on taking as hand luggage though, they should factor that into the quote.
We went with Pickfords. The rep came & looked over all our stuff, making detailed notes on his chart. We just pointed out which items were to be packed & which we were getting rid of. A good rep should be able to figure it out in one visit if you clearly tell him what's to be packed & what's not.
Old May 5th 2012, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

We used Sterling Relocation. The guys were brilliant and did a fantastic job packing in really tough circumstances (our house got emptied early January 2011, and there were huge snow drifts everywhere).

It was a company move so we had to use their approved shipper in the US, who were Atlas. They were dreadful and made moving in day really stressful and I wouldn't recommend them at all. They didn't turn up till almost 11am, then when they did they only had half our stuff (it had been in storage in Denver) and there were only two people (though eventually more turned up). It took forever to get the boxes off and the furniture unwrapped. They were supposed to build our furniture - it was all done incorrectly and we had to rebuild it all. They refused to unpack everything, (though that was what was paid for) and I caught them throwing our boxes to each other - several things were damaged. They held very loud and pointed conservations in front of me about how they'd had to work till midnight the night before unpacking and how the customer didn't care. We had to ask repeatedly to get them to come back and take away the rest of the boxes after I'd finished unpacking them. Not good at all.
Old May 6th 2012, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

brianK88 is an unknown quantity at this point

We used GB Liners.
Old May 6th 2012, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

lorenei is on a distinguished road

We used Excess Baggage for our move - http://www.excess-baggage.com

They were a lot cheaper than all the other moving companies I got quotes from and they provided me with plenty of good quality boxes and bubble wrap free of charge! All of our stuff got to Colorado from London safe and sound

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.