British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   moving companies??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-companies-471396/)

Arisali Aug 4th 2007 12:50 am

moving companies???

I'm moving from the NorthWest (Cheshire) to Virginia. All going well I shall be there the first week of Sept.
My difficulty is finding/choosing a shipping company that can carry our stuff across the sea to our new location.

Any opinions or thoughts?
who should I avoid?
I'm needing to organise this fairly the job offered was made last Thursday and I am doing some serious packing going on here:blink:

NC Penguin Aug 4th 2007 12:57 am

Re: moving companies???

Originally Posted by Arisali (Post 5146284)
I'm moving from the NorthWest (Cheshire) to Virginia. All going well I shall be there the first week of Sept.
My difficulty is finding/choosing a shipping company that can carry our stuff across the sea to our new location.

Any opinions or thoughts?
who should I avoid?
I'm needing to organise this fairly the job offered was made last Thursday and I am doing some serious packing going on here:blink:

Is this an internal transfer to a US office?

Arisali Aug 4th 2007 1:10 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5146293)
Is this an internal transfer to a US office?

No. altogether new prospects.:thumbsup:

NC Penguin Aug 4th 2007 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Arisali (Post 5146328)
No. altogether new prospects.:thumbsup:

It is August now. You hope to get to the US in September. Do you have your visa or are you an American citizen?

Arisali Aug 4th 2007 1:51 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5146381)
It is August now. You hope to get to the US in September. Do you have your visa or are you an American citizen?

Visas in hand. green carded sometime ago. but family commitments prevented me living in US fulltime.

NC Penguin Aug 4th 2007 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Arisali (Post 5146404)
Visas in hand. green carded sometime ago. but family commitments prevented me living in US fulltime.

Are you saying you already have a Green Card (so you're a permanent resident) but have not been living in the US? When did you last live in the US?

Mad Max7 Aug 6th 2007 4:01 am

Pickfords I believe are supposed to be pretty good.

dbj1000 Aug 6th 2007 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Arisali (Post 5146404)

Your "Green Card" is a Permanent Resident card. If you are not resident in the US then you are not a Permanent Resident, and you may be treated as having abandoned your rights to permanent residency.

Regardless of the expiry date on the Green Card, you have to maintain residency in order to remain in status. It sounds like you need to be ready for some questions when you arrive at the POE.

dbj1000 Aug 6th 2007 4:32 am

Oh yes, and Pickfords were great for our move! :D

Good luck.

Irn-bru Aug 6th 2007 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Mad Max7 (Post 5152993)
Pickfords I believe are supposed to be pretty good.

It does depend I think some are good and some are bad.

We were OK with them but then after we moved Boeing said they had some problems with them and some people had problems. Of course they never tell you that before you pick them!!